Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main cabin RDU to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Main cabin RDU to Japan

Two of us will be headed to Tokyo in May, originating from RDU. I see options all on AA metal connecting in DFW or AA to ORD and then JAL. The fares are comparable, and I'm EXP so I can get MCE seats at no charge on AA metal. I'm not sure if I have access to better seats on JAL given my status.

Which is the better option? All AA or should I go with JAL for the long-haul segments?

We don't have a preference between HND or NRT.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
AA gives access to MCE and a shot at a Y+ upgrade as EXP. But JL has IMO the best Y product in the sky. Make sure that you book the AA codeshare on JL; JL mileage earning is usually a worse deal. You should get access to exit row seats free on JL.

I'd pick the schedule that works better assuming fare and mileage earning is comparable. But I prefer ORD for connections and it's a more direct routing, which is key if you have to do Y. So I'd advise JL via ORD.
firemandan9 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brenc3
But JL has IMO the best Y product in the sky. […] So I'd advise JL via ORD.
Yes. Take JAL.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
JL for sure if you're 100% sure you'll be flying in economy.

The only thing that would push me to AA is if you thought there would be any chance you'd want to upgrade. If you purchase coach on AA you could watch the upgrade offers and try to snag a cheap $$ upgrade to PE (or even better, business). But of course these can vary and no guarantees there would be anything worth jumping on.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:07 pm

I've flown RDU to HND many times and I prefer to fly with AA metal via DFW mainly for applying SWU or cache upgrade to J.
However, since JAL will introduce new A350-1000 between JFK to HND in this month, I'd rather try RDU-JFK-HND instead of ORD which is 787-9. As EXP, it is almost certain to be upgraded from RDU to JFK segment
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by bi1963
I've flown RDU to HND many times and I prefer to fly with AA metal via DFW mainly for applying SWU or cache upgrade to J.
However, since JAL will introduce new A350-1000 between JFK to HND in this month, I'd rather try RDU-JFK-HND instead of ORD which is 787-9. As EXP, it is almost certain to be upgraded from RDU to JFK segment
I'm sure the A350-1000 will be nice, but if flying Y would be happier with the 789's 2-4-2 configuration rather than 3-3-3.
firemandan9 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gerbs
I'm sure the A350-1000 will be nice, but if flying Y would be happier with the 789's 2-4-2 configuration rather than 3-3-3.
ORD-HND is shown on a 777 in May on JAL's website.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
ORD-HND is shown on a 777 in May on JAL's website.
Y. it slipped away from my mind. JAL will switch the equipment from 787-9 to 777-300E in February.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I've booked through ORD on the way to Japan, and JFK on the way back so we'll see how we like the A350.
bi1963 and Gerbs like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
FWIW JL’s 77W still has 3-3-3 in Y with 34” pitch, so basically everyone gets MCE. As OWE you should be able to select bulkheads or exit if they are available.
firemandan9 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
FWIW JL’s 77W still has 3-3-3 in Y with 34” pitch, so basically everyone gets MCE. As OWE you should be able to select bulkheads or exit if they are available.
I did, in fact. I contacted AA via Twitter messaging.
firemandan9 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
In addition to the extra leg room and "sky wider" seats on the 787/777 (one less seat per row) everyone has mentioned the other big winner for JAL economy is the food, beverage and service received is almost always excellent so long as you enjoy Japense style bento box. Coming from the US its nice to enjoy japenese beer, wine and even an economy level sake offering on the long flight.

Crews are attentive coming by to help with luggage, frequent drink service and proactive small snacks on request. It's close to but not quite a Premium Economy experince for everyone on long haul JAL flights.

Last edited by firemandan9; Jan 4, 2024 at 10:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.