Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: Banged up and dirty A320 first class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Somewhat rhetorical as I'm sure the answer is because they can. I moved to ATL about 4 years ago and so my AA travel has become very infrequent I had the "pleasure" though of taking a short hop from CLT to ATL over the holidays. This is one pic to illustrate the how dirty the FC seats were and the general lack of cleanliness of the plane which I believe was an A320. It must have been one of the oldest in the fleet and did it show. Also, Is it just me or does it make them look really cheap when they can't even replace the USAir nameplates on the beverage carts after all these years? To make matters worse, apparently an O2 tank went bad--probably leaked after sitting there for so many years. Pilot said 20 minutes to change it out---yeah right 3 hours later we made it to ATL. Thanks for listening!
WVmike likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 3, 2024 at 6:18 am Reason: Reduced size of image
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I note that near the bottom of your photo there is the recommendation to "use try magic eraser."

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 3, 2024 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:43 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Looks like the last generation first class seats. I was mistaken to think that all the domestic F seats have been installed across the narrowbody fleet. Unless this particular plane is destined for the graveyard....
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chfenton
Also, Is it just me or does it make them look really cheap when they can't even replace the USAir nameplates on the beverage carts after all these years?
Cui Bono?

AA does cheap out on a lot of things, but replacing perfectly good carts and pulling them out of service to change a nameplate is a huge waste of money and resources.

Originally Posted by PHL
Looks like the last generation first class seats. I was mistaken to think that all the domestic F seats have been installed across the narrowbody fleet. Unless this particular plane is destined for the graveyard....
These are the LUS a320s that never got refit. They were supposed to head to the scrapper, but the MAX issues and subsequent delays kept them around.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by chfenton
Somewhat rhetorical as I'm sure the answer is because they can. I moved to ATL about 4 years ago and so my AA travel has become very infrequent I had the "pleasure" though of taking a short hop from CLT to ATL over the holidays. This is one pic to illustrate the how dirty the FC seats were and the general lack of cleanliness of the plane which I believe was an A320. It must have been one of the oldest in the fleet and did it show. Also, Is it just me or does it make them look really cheap when they can't even replace the USAir nameplates on the beverage carts after all these years? To make matters worse, apparently an O2 tank went bad--probably leaked after sitting there for so many years. Pilot said 20 minutes to change it out---yeah right 3 hours later we made it to ATL. Thanks for listening!
they never had a plan to remove the US name/logo from the carts. As they are replaced due to end of life, they are replaced with new ones with the AA name/logo
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 3, 2024 at 6:19 am Reason: No need to quote image
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I see the scuffs. I guess the seats take a beating from bags and food/beverage carts.

Were the cushions dirty too or was it just the scuffs seen in your photo?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:25 pm

At least the carpet looks pretty good
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: Accor Silver
US Airways is the one that took over the operations of American, so the beverage cart logo isn’t too surprising.
nancypants, hhdl and Rpg101 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
But we don't sit on the outside of it, and leather cleans up well. Yes, they are old, and I am sorry about the 02 tank. That always stinks. Sure, some planes are dirty. The CRJ-900s, now gone from AA were the worst. But overall, if where your bottom plants itself is clean, it's fine.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:56 am

In 2008, I flew Bahamasair from San Salvador, Bahamas (ZSA) to Nassau. I saw a beverage cart with the logo of long-defunct Presidential Airways. I'm sure nobody other than the people on this forum would notice something like this.

AAway, notquiteaff, ysolde and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:36 am

Programs: AA, Amex
There are a handful of US Air A320's that are definitely up there in years and show it.

With that said, I was on N102UW a few months ago - one of the oldest in the fleet - and they'd at least spruced up some of the interior and added in-seat power outlets and such. Really didn't look bad at all.

Maybe a game plan of spending minimal $$ necessary on the oldest ones.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP you should be happy you were in a non-oasified plane. Those seats are much more comfortable than oasis F seats.
Daze, ysolde, dtwtransport and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:15 am

looks like what you get when you board a UA flight and it still has the retro Continental black leather FC interior.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
OP you should be happy you were in a non-oasified plane. Those seats are much more comfortable than oasis F seats.
I've somehow managed to avoid the Oasis F seats in their 6+ years of existence, but personally I found the LUS F seats on the A320s and the pre-Oasis/Kodiak A321s to be among the most uncomfortable out there, especially for my neck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.