Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA66 JFK-BCN 12/31 - diverted to Lisbon?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

AA66 JFK-BCN 12/31 - diverted to Lisbon?

Anyone know why? It was scheduled to land 8:40 in BCN this morning, instead it’s now landed in LIS with the flight scheduled to complete LIS-BCN later this morning.

I’m on AA67 BCN-JFK which I think was to be using the same aircraft which has now been delayed by 4 hours and 20 mins. Not the end of the world, just curious and also trying to anticipate if there might be further issues/delays!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:39 am
Original Poster

I jinxed myself; the remaining leg for AA66 from LIS-BCN has been further delayed which has now caused AA67 (BCN-JFK) that was initially scheduled for take off at 10:40, then 15:00, to be cancelled. Interestingly, when I Google AA66 flight status, it’s now saying the LIS-BCN leg will continue tomorrow which makes me think there’s something seriously wrong with the aircraft? And yet, I’m booked on AA9600 for tomorrow Jan 2 (BCN-JFK). All of these have the same aircraft tail (N770AN) so I’m now dreading that my flight will get cancelled yet again.

Trying to enjoy my bonus day in Barcelona but boy am I mighty stressed out
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:44 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suziemay
I jinxed myself; the remaining leg for AA66 from LIS-BCN has been further delayed which has now caused AA67 (BCN-JFK) that was initially scheduled for take off at 10:40, then 15:00, to be cancelled. Interestingly, when I Google AA66 flight status, it’s now saying the LIS-BCN leg will continue tomorrow which makes me think there’s something seriously wrong with the aircraft? And yet, I’m booked on AA9600 for tomorrow Jan 2 (BCN-JFK). All of these have the same aircraft tail (N770AN) so I’m now dreading that my flight will get cancelled yet again.

Trying to enjoy my bonus day in Barcelona but boy am I mighty stressed out
LIS-BCN likely cancelled because of crew hours.

Be flexible. Be prepared with the desired flights you would like to be booked on, then call AA. Be patient. AA will get you home
wrp96 and etiene like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:48 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA Added an extra sector for 2 January 2024. AA 9600 17:40-20:40 as you have been rebooked onto. Enjoy the bonus day. This feels more like a medical diversion which lead to a crew timeout
ESpen36 and suziemay like this.

Last edited by HNL; Jan 1, 2024 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
AA Added an extra sector for 2 January 2024. AA 9600 17:40-20:40 as you have been rebooked onto. Enjoy the bonus day. This feels more like a medical diversion which lead to a crew timeout
TY, trying to. As long as AA 9600 takes off tomorrow, I’m good ☺️ The rebooking options were slim pickins and the agent I initially spoke to was not great. I called back again and got a better agent but she wasn’t able to find any better options so I stuck with this. Interestingly, AA 9600 didn’t show up as an option to rebook on the app but I was also not automatically rebooked.

Found a tweet from someone who was on the diverted flight. It apparently experienced “a serious mechanical problem”

https://x.com/jillpittman2/status/17...Usr6cnZCILnzDw

And I think this is my cue to put down the phone

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 3, 2024 at 4:44 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Found a tweet from someone who was on the diverted flight. It apparently experienced “a serious mechanical problem”

https://x.com/jillpittman2/status/17...Usr6cnZCILnzDw

And I think this is my cue to put down the phone
Can you ask AA to be rebooked on IB/BA? There’s also a BCN-PHL by AA, which is not too far off depends on your final destination.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mediator
Can you ask AA to be rebooked on IB/BA? There’s also a BCN-PHL by AA, which is not too far off depends on your final destination.
there were not many options when we were looking this morning (cancelled flight was full) and I opted for the direct one on AA rather than a BA option with connection that was given to me. But this was before I realized it’s the same aircraft as the problematic flight! I now see they have cancelled the remaining leg on AA66 (LIS-BCN) that was scheduled for tomorrow and I’m back to being nervous. I think I will relook at other options again. Ughhhh
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
there were not many options when we were looking this morning (cancelled flight was full) and I opted for the direct one on AA rather than a BA option with connection that was given to me. But this was before I realized it’s the same aircraft as the problematic flight! I now see they have cancelled the remaining leg on AA66 (LIS-BCN) that was scheduled for tomorrow and I’m back to being nervous. I think I will relook at other options again. Ughhhh
Make sure that you are aware of your rights under EC 261/2004. At a minimum, AA should be paying for your food and lodging. And depending on the exact reason for the cancellation, you might also be entitled to €600 in compensation. Details explained here:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide...-compensation/

("TPG’s guide to understanding EU261 flight compensation")
wrp96 and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:27 am

I thought IB/Level operates BCN-JFK nonstop
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Make sure that you are aware of your rights under EC 261/2004. At a minimum, AA should be paying for your food and lodging. And depending on the exact reason for the cancellation, you might also be entitled to €600 in compensation. Details explained here:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide...-compensation/

("TPG’s guide to understanding EU261 flight compensation")
Thank you, I did remember to look this up so I’ll be saving all my receipts.

Originally Posted by nas6034
I thought IB/Level operates BCN-JFK nonstop
I believe the flights today and tomorrow were already fully booked or closed to fully booked. I called immediately when I saw AA67 was cancelled and the earliest direct option I was offered was on the added flight AA9600 presumably to handle overflow. I’m actually wondering if I didn’t get any priority in rebooking because I had removed my FF number (would have been OW Sapphire) because I’m in the process of figuring out where to credit my miles to maximize earning status. If so, talk about bad luck!

In any case, I just got off the phone with AA and the ONLY flight anyone can get on tomorrow from BCN to NY-area is AA9600, the one that I’m on. All the other flights even with partner airlines/connections are fully booked.

I feel slightly better because even though AA66 that was supposed to finish off the trip LIS-BCN tomorrow was cancelled, it seems it was replaced by flight AA9601 and that one looks to still be “scheduled” and AA is now showing that AA9600 is using that same aircraft? However, it’s still the same tail number so who knows but seems like there’s nothing I can do.

on top of everything, I seem to have a bout of food poisoning! Welp. In the grand scheme of things, this is just a minor inconvenience but I am feeling a little bit sorry for myself

thanks all for the advice, I’ll be sure to report back on how things end up for anyone still following!

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 3, 2024 at 4:45 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

In any case, I just got off the phone with AA and the ONLY flight anyone can get on tomorrow from BCN to NY-area is AA9600, the one that I’m on. All the other flights even with partner airlines/connections are fully booked.
Oneworld member Royal Air Maroc is currently selling this BCN-CMN-JFK itinerary on its website for travel tomorrow:

I'm not necessarily recommending this option, but just pointing out that there are other ways of getting from BCN to JFK tomorrow.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You're definitely owed some recompense here. And you've got EU protections to boot.
Spiff, wrp96 and suziemay like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Oneworld member Royal Air Maroc is currently selling this BCN-CMN-JFK itinerary on its website for travel tomorrow:

I'm not necessarily recommending this option, but just pointing out that there are other ways of getting from BCN to JFK tomorrow.
TY, will keep it in mind if I get desperate, although I will likely be more willing to stay another day than fly this option, mostly because I’m not familiar with the airline/transit situation.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 3, 2024 at 4:45 am Reason: No need to quote the image
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Tightish connection but doable. CMN is not a big airport. I did enjoy the lounge there.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Another X post mentions cold air and insulation floating around. Various web sites point out this is AA’s oldest widebody airframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.