Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for WAS to VNO?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Suggestions for WAS to VNO?

I'm looking for any expert insights for flights from WAS to VNO next summer. Looks like two transfers minimum, with the only OW flight to VNO being AY from HEL? Would love to use a SWU on the outbound but without any AA flights from USA to HEL (remembering the good old days of the one from ORD, sigh...) would likely have to stop in LHR and then on from there? Am wondering if I'm missing something, or perhaps I should take BA from LHR to RIX and somehow move on from there (train?)

Apologies in advance if I've missed something obvious to others, and thanks in advance for folks' expertise...
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:40 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
I'm looking for any expert insights for flights from WAS to VNO next summer. Looks like two transfers minimum, with the only OW flight to VNO being AY from HEL? Would love to use a SWU on the outbound but without any AA flights from USA to HEL (remembering the good old days of the one from ORD, sigh...) would likely have to stop in LHR and then on from there? Am wondering if I'm missing something, or perhaps I should take BA from LHR to RIX and somehow move on from there (train?)

Apologies in advance if I've missed something obvious to others, and thanks in advance for folks' expertise...
Yep, the only OW airline service VNO is AY. If separate tickets are an option, plenty of options to connect on a different carrier in Europe, I suggest Air Baltic, from VNO they serve CDG, AMS, MUC, RIX, TLL among others.
JJeffrey and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There is no easy way to get there with oneworld, you're not missing anything.

If it were me I'd probably just book separate tix, take an easy one-stop routing on AA to somewhere like FRA, ZRH, or CPH, then just buy a separate ticket from there to VNO.

Otherwise doing something like DCA-JFK-LHR-HEL-VNO sounds terrible. I suppose you could do IAD-LHR-HEL-VNO on BA/AY but you'd need to buy PE in order to try and upgrade to J, if that's an issue.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There is no easy way to get there with oneworld, you're not missing anything.

If it were me I'd probably just book separate tix, take an easy one-stop routing on AA to somewhere like FRA, ZRH, or CPH, then just buy a separate ticket from there to VNO.

Otherwise doing something like DCA-JFK-LHR-HEL-VNO sounds terrible. I suppose you could do IAD-LHR-HEL-VNO on BA/AY but you'd need to buy PE in order to try and upgrade to J, if that's an issue.
How about PHL-CPH-HEL-VNO? PHL-CPH service commences June 6th.

James
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sounds terrible and would probably end up costing as much as just paying for J on SAS to fly IAD-CPH-VNO (~$3400 roundtrip with decent lie-flats on the long-hauls)

Probably not the best itinerary to try to use SWUs on, tbh. That whole region (RIX/TLL/VNO) seems tough to get to on major carriers (i.e. w/o using LCCs on separate tickets)
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: QF WP
Having done it recently, I initially booked Australia-LHR//LTN-VNO with the LTN-VNO leg on Ryanair (I think Wizz does the route also). I think 2 hours on Ryanair would be comparable to 1.40hrs on the ATR although no SC/TP/LP etc obviously. You could look at flying into Kaunas as an alternative, or I think BA codeshares with air Baltic from LCY on some of the Baltic routes (not sure if this gets you anything with AA, certainly doesn’t with QF)

Riga-Vilnius train travel information here- https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...a-by-train.htm - seems workable. Not sure if the BA RIX service is daily or even seasonal?

there’s also a (longer) train journey from Warsaw available, perhaps usable via DOH?
ZenFlyer and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sounds terrible and would probably end up costing as much as just paying for J on SAS to fly IAD-CPH-VNO (~$3400 roundtrip with decent lie-flats on the long-hauls)

Probably not the best itinerary to try to use SWUs on, tbh. That whole region (RIX/TLL/VNO) seems tough to get to on major carriers (i.e. w/o using LCCs on separate tickets)
Definitely, although unfortunately SK is ending IAD-CPH at some point and moving it to MSP (welcome to SkyTeam).

Although on 2nd pass VNO actually doesn't look that bad as it should be possible to book everything together on the same ticket, just have to get creative with Google Flights or call AA, as of course aa.com won't give you something like this.

Heres a simple-ish DCA-CLT-FRA-VNO roundtrip all booked through AA (will prob have to call AA):

Google Flights - DCA-CLT-FRA-VNO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.