Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2024 Buy status / Status Boost (through March of 2025?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: us air, delta, american

Will American allow buy up status that they used to do before this year?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I believe now you have until Feb 2-24 to qualify.. so I would look for them next year.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Those offers should be going out soon.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Of course. Why wouldn't AA want to receive something it values (cash) for something that costs it almost nothing (status)?

AA even did mid-year buy-up offers this year. I didn't bother to check what my price was.

Given that P.T. Barnum is proven correct daily, it's very safe to assume that sale of status by AA will continue.

Originally Posted by Jimmyco
Those offers should be going out soon.
There were mid-year offers this year.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 7, 2023 at 4:58 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question Have you received EP retention offer?

I am short of 50,000 (approximately) LP to make EP for 2024. I don't travel as much as I used to, but I still prefer to retain the EP status for 2024. I remember reading that AA offered cash payment (or AA points at 1c value) to retain EP for some members in the past years. I have not yet received any such offer. Anyone received a retention offer from AA this year?

I still have the month of February to make a LP run. Any suggestion for a reasonable LP run out of JFK? JFK-LHR J fare is between $3,000 and $4,000 for 5 nights in late February. Not enough. F is over $18,000, which is insane waste of money. Any recommendation?

Many thanks,
Tintin
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Putting aside what you are trying to gain with EXP vs Plat Pro (especially since AA moved the SWU goalpost and Plat Pro is OW Emerald...I personally don't think barely achieving EXP is worth it) - this post from earlier today seems like a relatively cost effective way to get lots of LPs: LP Calculation flying JL in PE
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:03 pm

Generally speaking, flying is not a cost effective way to get LPs. If you fly on a flight where the LPs are determined by fare, as an EP using an AA credit card you will get 12 LP/$, or spend 8.5 cents/LP. Flights where the LP gain is determined by distance can yield more or less than this rate, but it is rare for them to be much better.

You can get much better LP returns per dollar spent at the AA hotels and advantageeshopping portals. How to do that is described in detail in the relevant threads, both of which are on the front page of this forum. And you can do it all from the comfort of your home.

Best of luck!
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I just received an offer to continue with Gold status for $749 or 75K miles. I only have about 20K loyalty points as I've mostly been flying UA this year.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
You can always try here: https://status.aa.com/
Tintin likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Tintin
I am short of 50,000 (approximately) LP to make EP for 2024. I don't travel as much as I used to, but I still prefer to retain the EP status for 2024. I remember reading that AA offered cash payment (or AA points at 1c value) to retain EP for some members in the past years. I have not yet received any such offer. Anyone received a retention offer from AA this year?

I still have the month of February to make a LP run. Any suggestion for a reasonable LP run out of JFK? JFK-LHR J fare is between $3,000 and $4,000 for 5 nights in late February. Not enough. F is over $18,000, which is insane waste of money. Any recommendation?

Many thanks,
Tintin
You can easily get 20,000 or more LPs for nearly pennies through AA eshopping and then you can try to find a reasonable PE fare
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:38 am

$1949 or 195k points and I am 15,000 points away. I don't see a single benefit for EXP other than free snacks and a higher mile-earn rate. I would punch myself if I paid $2000 for EXP being only $15000 points away. If Cartera would give me the points I am owed, I would make it easy.

I have never once been upgraded as PP, and it sounds like I would not have much luck at EXP either, so that does not seem like much of a benefit.

Now if they ever opened up more rewards seats to EXP that would tempt me.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I got an offer for Platinum Pro as a platinum but it's a terrible offer. I'm at about 100k miles and they are offering me $2,750 to get Platinum Pro. If I wanted it badly enough to drop cash for the higher status I could spend half that much on valentine's flowers through the Cartera portal and reach Pro that way, plus getting redeemable miles out of it.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:07 am

Are these offers dynamic? I just got the email with offers and would consider one (basically didn’t fly most of 2023 due to my wife giving birth in February), but I’m due to get a ton of LP (like 15-20k) when my next CC statement closes, plus have at least one roundtrip flight in February, so I’m curious if they’ll change.
LibertyLobbyist likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Tintin
I don't travel as much as I used to, but I still prefer to retain the EP status for 2024.
Why?

If you really want the status, I'm sure they will outright sell it to you later this year.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm 1,429 short of EP, will get there once credit card posts in a couple weeks, or I could lock it up now for only $479 or 48k points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.