Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Not Responding to Inquiry for Lost Ring on an AA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have a good contact to get American to respond to questions regarding a lost ring on an AA flight?

Here is the story:

I just found out that a family member lost a valuable ring on an American Airlines 777 flight in the business class cabin. She went to sleep and upon waking realized that the ring was no longer on her finger. The cabin was cold and it seems like the ring slipped off while she was sleeping.

Flight attendants on the flight took apart the flat-bed seat as much as they could to look for the ring, but it was not found. (They said seats eat all sorts of things.) A report was taken on the plane.

Flight attendants said that every so often a plane is given a once over for maintenance and cleaning, and that the ring might be found during that process. Is anyone familiar with what they are referring to and what occurs during this process?

A report was also filed online once home. The tail number was requested (they didn't get it when the incident occurred). And they requested any information about searches for the ring, as well as information about when the plane would go into maintenance.

Even after several follow-ups, American has not responded with requested information about the plane's tail number and maintenance schedule.

The flight was in August 2023. Does American still have a record of which tail number operated on the flight they took? And how can I elevate this to get better answers.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Nov 26, 2023 at 10:03 pm
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Does anyone have a good contact to get American to respond to questions regarding a lost ring on an AA flight?

Here is the story:

I just found out that a family member lost a valuable ring on an American Airlines 777 flight in the business class cabin. She went to sleep and upon waking realized that the ring was no longer on her finger. The cabin was cold and it seems like the ring slipped off while she was sleeping.

Flight attendants on the flight took apart the flat-bed seat as much as they could to look for the ring, but it was not found. (They said seats eat all sorts of things.) A report was taken on the plane.

Flight attendants said that every so often a plane is given a once over for maintenance and cleaning, and that the ring might be found during that process. Is anyone familiar with what they are referring to and what occurs during this process?

A report was also filed online once home. The tail number was requested (they didn't get it when the incident occurred). And they requested any information about searches for the ring, as well as information about when the plane would go into maintenance.

Even after several follow-ups, American has not responded with requested information about the plane's tail number and maintenance schedule.

The flight was in August 2023. Does American still have a record of which tail number operated on the flight they took? And how can I elevate this to get better answers.
This might help you, so long as you have the flight number.
https://www.flightera.net
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:19 am

Wish I had better news but this is pretty much a lost cause. Insurance won't cover it either even with a rider.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjcxx
This might help you, so long as you have the flight number.
https://www.flightera.net
Thank you! Now that I have the tail number, to go along with her seat number, do you think its possible that AA would do a thorough search of that seat area when the plane goes in for maintenance? I am still looking for a POC somewhere high up so I can communicate with someone who can take action.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Thank you! Now that I have the tail number, to go along with her seat number, do you think its possible that AA would do a thorough search of that seat area when the plane goes in for maintenance? I am still looking for a POC somewhere high up so I can communicate with someone who can take action.
Honestly, you can try but I don't think you'll get very far. People lose stuff all the time on planes, and very rarely, in my experience, are things ever found, including items much bigger than rings. Also, I think, although I could be wrong about this, some maintenance is outsourced. Depending on when the seat is actually taken out and/or apart, it may not even be done by AA personnel.
dw and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by erik123
Wish I had better news but this is pretty much a lost cause. Insurance won't cover it either even with a rider.
Many jewelry insurance policies do include replacement of lost items. A family member lost a ring insured by Jewelers Mutual and had minimal issues getting it replaced.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It's possible the ring was taken off her finger by someone.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Longton
It would be impressive to remove a ring from someone's finger without waking them up
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Longton
Or it fell off the finger and landed in the aisle and someone picked it up?

No personal experience, but I think it’s unlikely that AA has a system that lets them track a “search” task for when the aircraft goes into maintenance at some future point in time. Maybe if they happen to find the ring down the road, they are able to look through lost item reports and find the rightful owner, but that wouldn’t require intervention from some higher up at AA, just some honest employees or contractors.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Or it fell off the finger and landed in the aisle and someone picked it up?

No personal experience, but I think it’s unlikely that AA has a system that lets them track a “search” task for when the aircraft goes into maintenance at some future point in time. Maybe if they happen to find the ring down the road, they are able to look through lost item reports and find the rightful owner, but that wouldn’t require intervention from some higher up at AA, just some honest employees or contractors.
A while ago someone posted that they had lost an ipad and it was returned 2 years (I think?) later
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:32 pm

Make sure you file a report with AA Lost and Found since it was on the plane. It really works. Don't rely on the FA's flight report. I've gotten back electronics and my daughter just got her MacBook Pro back in Tokyo the next day
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...-and-found.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.