Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does EXP Luggage Allowance supercede seasonal Embargo limitations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Traveling MIA-SAL and I saw a message that there is a luggage embargo allowing only 2 cheked bags per person. Not sure if this applies to EXP or is only for passengers waiting to pay for additional luggage. I vaguely remember years ago in a similar situation being allowed to take EXP 3 bags but not sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Edited spelling

Last edited by FAA1996; Nov 22, 2023 at 7:46 am
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Traveling MIA-SAL and I saw a message that there is a luggage embargo allowing only 2 decked bags per person. Not sure if this applies to EXP or is only for passengers waiting to pay for additional luggage. I vaguely remember years ago in a similar situation being allowed to Takeshi EXP 3 bags but not sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Yes, if you get Tekashi69 involved, there is a good chance of getting decked.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I believe I recall previous threads stating that the embargoes are an absolute limit, so no you wouldn't get the additional bags you'd normally get as an EXP, but I can't find any of those threads to give you any piece of mind either way.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I have a vague recollection of being allowed 3 bags in a similar situation years ago. I guess unless it's published policy somewhere I'd be at the mercy of the check in agents.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The embargo limit supersedes the EXP allowance.

See this post with the verbiage from aa.com: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35699913-post535.html
USFlyerUS, dw and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Antarius
The embargo limit supersedes the EXP allowance.

See this post with the verbiage from aa.com: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35699913-post535.html
Hi all: I was the OP of the query posted by @Antarius above. I just wanted to note that I received conflicting information from AA on this -- including 2 messages from the otherwise competent Twitter team insisting that I had a 4-bag allowance. But after further investigation, I agree with the reponse above that the embargo limit (sadly) prevails over the elite allowance.
Antarius and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Hi all: I was the OP of the query posted by @Antarius above. I just wanted to note that I received conflicting information from AA on this -- including 2 messages from the otherwise competent Twitter team insisting that I had a 4-bag allowance. But after further investigation, I agree with the reponse above that the embargo limit (sadly) prevails over the elite allowance.
4?? That's optimistic. Isn't it 3 on regular flights?

Honestly the embargo would not make much sense if elite benefits superceded it. Are there that many people paying to check a 3rd bag?
DiamondMile and donotblink like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
4?? That's optimistic. Isn't it 3 on regular flights?

Honestly the embargo would not make much sense if elite benefits superceded it. Are there that many people paying to check a 3rd bag?
Yes, 4 was the clue that they were absolutely wrong. (I was only hoping for 3 at most). Their analysis seems to have been premised on the fact that it was an international flight and that I would be in Flagship first, without accounting for the fact that AA treats my Caribbean destination as "domestic" and that there is no Flagship First service there. What was disappointing is that in my second engagement with the Twitter team I gave them my PNR and asked them to double check my exact itinerary, and they came back with the same answer.

In terms of whether the limitation makes sense, I guess it depends on how many elites are likely to be on any given flight to benefit from an extra bag above the embargo limit. Given that any passenger with or without status can normally check up to 5 bags to Caribbean destinations (albeit with a charge), it doesn't seem outrageous to imagine a rule that would allow elites to check 3 bags in lieu of 2. That said, I admittedly don't understand the weight & balance issues, I'm just speaking from the perspective of the extra consideration that usually comes with elite status. But it is what it is.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Yes, 4 was the clue that they were absolutely wrong. (I was only hoping for 3 at most). Their analysis seems to have been premised on the fact that it was an international flight and that I would be in Flagship first, without accounting for the fact that AA treats my Caribbean destination as "domestic" and that there is no Flagship First service there. What was disappointing is that in my second engagement with the Twitter team I gave them my PNR and asked them to double check my exact itinerary, and they came back with the same answer.

In terms of whether the limitation makes sense, I guess it depends on how many elites are likely to be on any given flight to benefit from an extra bag above the embargo limit. Given that any passenger with or without status can normally check up to 5 bags to Caribbean destinations (albeit with a charge), it doesn't seem outrageous to imagine a rule that would allow elites to check 3 bags in lieu of 2. That said, I admittedly don't understand the weight & balance issues, I'm just speaking from the perspective of the extra consideration that usually comes with elite status. But it is what it is.
Yeah but those extra checked bags get REALLY expensive. #3 and up are $200 (in each direction). Even if you get free 1st and/or 2nd, #s 3+ are still $200 each.

I am not saying that no one would do it, but I can't see it being a very popular choice.

And since AA charges so much for it, I'm sure they wouldn't have the embargo if it wasn't necessary. They would like nothing more than to collect an extra $400 in pure profit from a pax looking to check a 3rd bag each way -- especially considering the low margin of flying someone somewhere.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah but those extra checked bags get REALLY expensive. #3 and up are $200 (in each direction). Even if you get free 1st and/or 2nd, #s 3+ are still $200 each.

I am not saying that no one would do it, but I can't see it being a very popular choice.
Compared to what it would cost to ship as a package, it’s probably a good deal. (And on a lot of these routes, the luggage is not coming back.). A next day FedEx envelope from NY to LA now costs me almost $50 to ship.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I've seen many, MANY people on Caribbean routes paying for 3rd and 4th bags at the counter.
Anecdote, yes, but it's definitely not that rare.
wrp96 and dw like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Was able to check 3rd bag with no issues as EXP. Seems like limitations is for extra baggage (I guess as an EXP 3rd bag is not "extra"). Same thing I vaguely remember from a few years ago.
VegasGambler and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.