Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA's NYC/northeast strategy post-NEA - is there one??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm an NY-based AA Platinum Pro headed for EXP in 2024, and I am increasingly distressed about the dissolution of the NEA. Specifically, it seems like AA ceded a lot of nonstop routes to major cities (Atlanta, Denver, Vegas, all of Florida except Miami, etc.) to JetBlue during the NEA days but doesn't appear to have any plans to reinstate them on AA metal now that the NEA is no more (outside of BOS-LGA).

It's cute that they're adding stuff like Halifax and Bangor, ME and supplementing already-plentiful Iberia service to Madrid, and we can make do on Alaska to most of the west coast, but where does that leave those of us in New York who want to fly AA nonstop to basic, major business and vacation destinations but just can't right now? Are those routes ever coming back that we know of? Because right now they seem to have one foot in and one foot out of New York as an actual hub.

Would love any insights anyone may have.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
You can connect on AA, or fly another airline non-stop to those destinations that AA doesn't serve non-stop. It's really simple. I know that some people think that the airline should make everything revolve around NYC and they should fly non-stop to everywhere, but they are in this to make money. If they feel they can make more money using those planes elsewhere, that's what they'll do.

While NYC is obviously a top destination for many, and there is a large population/money for NYC-based folks, that doesn't necessarily translate to profitability or the best place to make money. Something like JFK-LAS on an A321 for $300 round-trip is not going to make them as much money as CLT-OMA on an A321 for $500 round-trip (coach).
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Save for a brief period under Horton, AA hasn't had a strategy in general since Crandall.

In the last few years, we've seen
  • Modified EQD numbers
  • Elimination of EQD for LP
  • Changes to the LP thresholds
  • Elimination of Business Extra with 4 months of notice
  • Elimination of Airpass
  • PHL-is-our-TATL-gateway Part 1 - Tons of new flights that lasted a year
  • PHL-is-our-TATL-gateway Part 2 - Tons of new flights that lasted a year
  • NEA + PHL really isn't anyone's first choice
  • PHL-is-our-TATL-gateway Part 3 (Now)
  • SEA-is-our-new-hub
  • lol jk, SEA isn't a hub
  • AUS-is-our-new-hub
  • lol jk, AUS isn't a hub
And more. It's just throwing darts randomly at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If they feel they can make more money using those planes elsewhere, that's what they'll do.
The problem is that AA underperforms the competition by every single financial metric and has for years. I'm not convinced that they understand the concept of revenue maximization.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:24 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I believe there are still AA slots being used by B6 which are to transition back over the next few months, so it’s possible some of the dropped routes will be back eventually.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I am optimistic, perhaps naively.
scoonee likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
It’s not just “ceded” routes to b6. They’ve also terminated new ones they ran post NEA like to IAH.

There is no strategy. AA - the airline that wants to fly you to HND and YHZ but not to ATL, DEN, IAH, etc. But hey, at least the app considers PHL a NYC airport so maybe AA thinks you’ll go down and take a flight from there
danwer930 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Silver, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Avis PC
I bet they bring back IAH. Great service for premiums, not at all substituted for by connecting flights.

ATL definitely comes back.

At least one of FLL or PBI will come back, leaving a lot of money on the table there. MCO not so much.

My guess at least one of DEN, SAT or LAS comes back. SAN and SEA I think they are happy with the Alaska code-shares.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
DEN is not coming back, between UA Hub-Hub, and competition from B6 and DL (WN somewhat, but I don’t fly on them) where o/w go for Sub-$150, AA pulled out of the direct to DEN, partly because they ran terrible times on it and because every time I flew them the plane was maybe 25% full.

I couldn’t believe they didn’t fly a single NYC-Florida route (RSW/FLL/MCO/TPA) when I needed to use them last month, would expect yields on some of those winter routes to be somewhat relevant to Bring back.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Depending on your travel patterns, it can be very difficult to be loyal to AA out of NYC. It unfortunately doesn't work for me. TPA/RSW are my most frequent destinations and I am not going to connect at CLT or DCA when I have multiple airlines that fly non-stop from NYC.

AA can't be everything to everyone everywhere. It's simply not the best airline for most NYC-based fliers.
ysolde likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
NYC is one of the places in the country where you don't have to stick with one airline/alliance. And, if you fly enough, you will hit your mark (desired status) organically, even flying based on best schedule/cost/other factors. I am a true believer of being free agents because "loyalty" runs one way only, and it is not coming from the direction of the airline. Make them work for your money instead handing it to them.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:38 pm

The domestic flights in and out of NYC are just as, if not more important as connectors to international flights as they are to serving New Yorkers.
danwer930 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rmontelbon
The domestic flights in and out of NYC are just as, if not more important as connectors to international flights as they are to serving New Yorkers.
Not as long as the strategy remains to use PHL, and to a lesser extent CLT, to fulfill that role. Also, don't forget about BA's 28 US destinations.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
Not as long as the strategy remains to use PHL, and to a lesser extent CLT, to fulfill that role. Also, don't forget about BA's 28 US destinations.
it's clearly not a winning strategy, given that they tried the NEA while PHL was there all along. Its better than nothing, but it's got, what, 4 international tails? Better, more financially sound airlines don't see any value in flying there.

Were on PHL-is-the-solution part 3. 1 and 2 were comically bad.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
There’s a bunch of different things going on here:

There’s a pilot shortage, American Airlines is allowing JetBlue to continue to use some of it slots because it doesn’t actually have the pilots to fill those planes

More broadly, both JFK and LaGuardia are slot restricted, American has limited capabilities to expand.
ESpen36, danwer930 and A321T like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
it's clearly not a winning strategy, given that they tried the NEA while PHL was there all along. Its better than nothing, but it's got, what, 4 international tails? Better, more financially sound airlines don't see any value in flying there.

Were on PHL-is-the-solution part 3. 1 and 2 were comically bad.
I didn't mean to suggest it was a winning strategy, merely that it's the strategy that I believe we're witnessing at present.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.