Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-MAD premium economy prices: book now or wait for them to fall?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

We've been watching the May 2024 prices for PE seats from MIA to MAD and so far they're not going down from $2466-$2666 pp. Should we book or should we wait? We thought they may go down after the fall, but so far they have not.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by travellovers2
We've been watching the May 2024 prices for PE seats from MIA to MAD and so far they're not going down from $2466-$2666 pp. Should we book or should we wait? We thought they may go down after the fall, but so far they have not.
May is still 7 months away, there's no reason to book something like this that far in advance unless you just get a great deal. $2400-$2600 per person for PE from the US to Europe is the opposite of a great deal.

For the past 2 weeks AA has been running a bunch of sale fares to a number of cities in Europe where you could've bought business for $2,500 roundtrip for most of the winter and spring, for example.

Just keep an eye on it.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
No one is going to have a crystal ball to give you a definitive answer on this, but I went through a simliar process watching PE prices to MAD this past fall. Are you watching one particular day or a set of days? How many PE seats are already sold?

As there aren't too many PE seat on any plane, AA never seems too desparate to off load them, especially 6 months before a flight. My guess is that fares in the $2500+ are probably not the discount premium economy fare, so they've either sold quite a few seats or they think they will. You could always book economy seats, and then keep an eye out for upgrade offers at the flight apporaches.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No reason to buy this far out. Almost guaranteed that there will be a cheaper fares available closer to de parture, e.g. during sale or promo.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We will wait and keep an eye on it.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by travellovers2
Thank you for your replies. We will wait and keep an eye on it.

are the flights to MAD via LHR the same fare? We recently booked flying via LHR and saved close to $1k by not taking the non-stop
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated the thread's title to make it more descriptive.

~Moderator
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
May is still 7 months away, there's no reason to book something like this that far in advance unless you just get a great deal. $2400-$2600 per person for PE from the US to Europe is the opposite of a great deal.

For the past 2 weeks AA has been running a bunch of sale fares to a number of cities in Europe where you could've bought business for $2,500 roundtrip for most of the winter and spring, for example.

Just keep an eye on it.
Just booked MIA-LHR-MAD-LHR-MIA for next March for around $2500 in J. PE would have been around $700 less. Using AA miles if valued at $.015 would have been considerably more. If you wanted nonstop MIA-MAD-MIA, it would have been well over $4000.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yeah, there are some pretty good deals out there. DCA-ZRH for $2500 in June was a pretty good grab in J class.
FabCW likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:47 pm

You can definitely get EU>US flights in business class for the same budget. I just booked summer 2024 travel RT MKE>ATL>NCE for $2,500 in J earlier this week. Now the price has more than doubled for the same dates.

If you look on Google flights regularly and your dates are somewhat flexible, you can get good deals.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Just keep an eye on it.
Agreed. I was looking for next August and saw Business class for $2500. PE was $2300. You can wait on that PE fare but if you see business for 2500ish, jump on it.

Originally Posted by FabCW
You can definitely get EU>US flights in business class for the same budget. I just booked summer 2024 travel RT MKE>ATL>NCE for $2,500 in J earlier this week. Now the price has more than doubled for the same dates.

If you look on Google flights regularly and your dates are somewhat flexible, you can get good deals.
Yep, the cities I saw with the most deals were London, Madrid and Zurch. And the OP is looking at MAD.
FabCW likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:06 am

Not sure if you are only visiting MAD but other cities in Spain will be quite a lot cheaper with connection in MAD. You can also check for 2 oneways (return dayflight in Y) and save some money - especially if you travel hand luggage only.

My view is that PE on AA is worth an extra $2-300 over Y (oneway) and that prices will come down. You can track dates with google.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Not so sure. PE prices are extremely high owing to the popularity of the class - especially with business passengers whose companies frown on the appearance of true business class and families looking for a better experience. Some corporate travel policies are evolving (especially on transatlantic) which allow lie flat on the overnight sectors but mandating PE on the daylight sectors.

Somewhere I read that airlines are seeing the best profit percentages of any cabin - in premium economy. And some airlines are discussing expanding PE cabins incrementally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.