Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Op-up to 77W F 6 days in advance, any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Op-up to 77W F 6 days in advance, any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.
Angry Op-up to 77W F 6 days in advance, any recourse?

I paid for AA J LAX-SYD as EXP (QF J was sold out on my dates) and requested a SWU to F since there were window seats available.

Subsequently, I noticed F window seats became allocated so cancelled upgrade via the twitter DM team. They acknowledged. Well, the next day I get a notification I'm in F. Ask the twitter team and they say its a complimentary upgrade. Now its J0 and no window seats available in J, so they can't downgrade me and there isn't any windows in J or F.

Feel like this is a downgrade, esp since ground service in LAX is the same and likely to get the most tenured FAs in F looking to do the least.

What are my options here?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by qasr
I paid for AA J LAX-SYD as EXP (QF J was sold out on my dates) and requested a SWU to F since there were window seats available.

Subsequently, I noticed F window seats became allocated so cancelled upgrade via the twitter DM team. They acknowledged. Well, the next day I get a notification I'm in F. Ask the twitter team and they say its a complimentary upgrade. Now its J0 and no window seats available in J, so they can't downgrade me and there isn't any windows in J or F.

Feel like this is a downgrade, esp since ground service in LAX is the same and likely to get the most tenured FAs in F looking to do the least.

What are my options here?
To make sure I’m following, you were moved from J to F on the house, and want to move back to J? Why not take the F seat as a win? it seems like your only option is to not take the flight.

For all of the shade thrown at the AA FAs, most are totally fine and I’ve only come across a couple on international flights that were downright unhelpful.
dw, Spiff, Admiral Ackbar and 22 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I understand what you're saying, but I think you should keep it, it will likely still be a tad better than J window.

Your other option is to ask any of the 30 J pax in window seats when you board to switch seats. I am sure at least one will accept, lol...
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I, too, don’t understand the problem here.
PresRDC, DrMilano, FAA1996 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The AA 77W J seats are superior to the F ones. It's the unique upgrade that's a downgrade.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 23, 2023 at 6:18 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted post
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:30 pm

F seat has more space (better for sleeping), better toilet (on left side), dine on demand, and more food choices.

I’ve done this flight 10+ times this year and staff are generally good and welcoming.
MorganB, jmj9905, chris63 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by nk15
Your other option is to ask any of the 30 J pax in window seats when you board to switch seats. I am sure at least one will accept, lol...
This is a great idea. Thanks. Will try that.

Originally Posted by Antarius
The AA 77W J seats are superior to the F ones. It's the unique upgrade that's a downgrade.
Exactly. And in the middle of F too, not the window.

While I agree it is a first world problem, so is your example. Can you imagine how this sounds to someone poor who has never flown to hear about someone flying repeatedly ​​​​.
I hadn't considered such views, and I don't intend to. It's not the point here.

to the OP - play it by ear. Worst case, enjoy the F ground perks and once onboard, walk to J and see if someone will swap. Odds are high that they will.
Are there any F perks? I think it's the same as J if EXP?

But yes. Will try to swap with a J pax as another poster suggested.

Although now I think about it, is that a fair thing to do to someone who would assume the F seat is better? 🤔
SFO777, Antarius and becks1 like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 23, 2023 at 6:22 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Although now I think about it, is that a fair thing to do to someone who would assume the F seat is better? 🤔
Stop, now you're pushing it, no need for any extra melodrama

I fully agree that AA F isn't that great and that the 77W F seat has it's pros and cons compared to the J seat.

But 99 out of 100 pax will be happy to trade your F for their J, if this is that big of a deal to you, especially on a 13 hour flight across the Pacific.
Spiff, USFlyerUS, chris63 and 12 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rktsci
F seat has more space (better for sleeping), better toilet (on left side), dine on demand, and more food choices.

I’ve done this flight 10+ times this year and staff are generally good and welcoming.
I agree, even the J seat can get a little claustrophobic, the F seat has unobstructed movement I believe on all sides. I get a little claustrophobic on the 772 and 787 J seats, and sometimes even the 77W.

The toilet situation is also important, with 52 pax in J there are annoying times that the J lavs are full and you have to wait. This is the biggest issue with the J cabin on the 77W, IMO.

Personally, I would never pay miles or money for a J to F upgrade, but I will definitely keep an op-up to F.
becks1 and MarkOK like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
But 99 out of 100 pax will be happy to trade your F for their J, if this is that big of a deal to you, especially on a 13 hour flight across the Pacific.
^^ This

The vast majority will be chuffed. I'll be the 1 out of 100 who declines politely.

It's conceptually no different than giving up BA Club Europe for the Exit row. They exit row people are psyched for the upgrade, while I'm psyched that my growth won't be stunted by the 29" seat pitch. Win-win.

Originally Posted by nk15
I agree, even the J seat can get a little claustrophobic, the F seat has unobstructed movement I believe on all sides.
Unfortunately too much movement. Because the seat is anchored on a swivel, it tends to have this ever so slight rock back and forth. Like a bar table that needs a folded napkin to keep it level. Annoys the absolute daylights out of me.

Agree re: the toilet situation. One other variable is crew. AA J crew are far less variable than F. F is a coin flip between the best crews you've ever had and Stasi prison guards. It's impressive how wide the band of tolerance is.
PTahCha and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
But 99 out of 100 pax will be happy to trade your F for their J,
A lot of people don't travel alone. Any solo traveler would probably do it though
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think morally you will be fine, do not worry about that, the F seat is better....
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
^^ This

The vast majority will be chuffed. I'll be the 1 out of 100 who declines politely.

It's conceptually no different than giving up BA Club Europe for the Exit row. They exit row people are psyched for the upgrade, while I'm psyched that my growth won't be stunted by the 29" seat pitch. Win-win.
Does the calculus change if LAX FFD was still open?

There are pros / cons between the two seats, but give me the extra space and less competition for the bathroom 10 of 10 times.

Also, I’d say this is a bit different than CE vs. exit row.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
If you really don't want the F seat - I would do these two things
* Set EF alert for J>0 and see if a window seat opens up. If so then call back and request reassignment.
*If not, go to flagship first check-in at LAX and ask them to re-assign you back to a window seat in as booked. Why not let AA manage the reassignment?

Personally, if I was propositioned in J to make this switch I'd find it so strange I'd decline lol. I'd think the seat was broken, or there was some bodily fluid just cleaned, a neighboring passenger deadly sick, etc.

I have done myself the onboard self-downgrade from an F op-up to J, but this was on an A321T and was joining a companion left behind. So it made a lot more sense.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
If you really don't want the F seat - I would do these two things
* Set EF alert for J>0 and see if a window seat opens up. If so then call back and request reassignment.
*If not, go to flagship first check-in at LAX and ask them to re-assign you back to a window seat in as booked. Why not let AA manage the reassignment?

Personally, if I was propositioned in J to make this switch I'd find it so strange I'd decline lol. I'd think the seat was broken, or there was some bodily fluid just cleaned, a neighboring passenger deadly sick, etc.

I have done myself the onboard self-downgrade from an F op-up to J, but this was on an A321T and was joining a companion left behind. So it made a lot more sense.
OP can also set EF seat alerts for the F window seats, just in case. They can also say, when they request the swap, that they prefer a window seat in J, and the F one does not have a window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.