Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to seemlessly transition Admirals Club membership from Citi's card to self-pay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to seemlessly transition Admirals Club membership from Citi's card to self-pay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question How to seemlessly transition Admirals Club membership from Citi's card to self-pay?

I am thinking to cancel my Citibank Executive MC when the AF is due (next month). What is the process to transition Admirals Club membership from the credit card to a paid membership (pay by using AA points). I like to minimize the gap of access. So if I cancel the card today, can I apply online tomorrow for a paid membership and get approved with immediate club access? Do I have to pay the initiation fee (high cost for the first year) or will it be treated as a renewal? Is it better to apply online or by calling? What is the best number to call for Admirals Club membership for EXPs? And lastly, I will get a new Admirals Club membership card in mail, right?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There really isn't a "process" other than just cancel your Citi card then go join the AC via normal means.

I suppose you could call to join but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just do it online.

And doing it this way you will be treated as a new member (AFAIK) although the price difference is only $50 now for a new member vs. renewal.

So you're basically spending 75k miles to save $595. Pretty bad use of miles IMO.
dw and ConstellationClass like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:20 am

Don’t you have 30 days after the AF posts to cancel and get your AF back?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Tintin
I am thinking to cancel my Citibank Executive MC when the AF is due (next month). What is the process to transition Admirals Club membership from the credit card to a paid membership (pay by using AA points). I like to minimize the gap of access. So if I cancel the card today, can I apply online tomorrow for a paid membership and get approved with immediate club access? Do I have to pay the initiation fee (high cost for the first year) or will it be treated as a renewal? Is it better to apply online or by calling? What is the best number to call for Admirals Club membership for EXPs? And lastly, I will get a new Admirals Club membership card in mail, right?

Thanks.
My only question is: why in the world would you do this? The AF for the executive card is less than the sky high AC membership fee, and you get up to 20K in LP bonuses with it which you don't get with a straight AC membership. What's the upside?
dw and ConstellationClass like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
When I cancelled my card, I just walked up to the AC desk, and asked them to renew my membership with miles. Done in 30 seconds. Your handle says you are EXP so it will be the least amount of miles.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by boerne
Your handle says you are EXP so it will be the least amount of miles.
Just 70k now if it's a renewal...
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Qantas Club is probably your friend here.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

When I cancelled my card, I just walked up to the AC desk, and asked them to renew my membership with miles. Done in 30 seconds. Your handle says you are EXP so it will be the least amount of miles.
This is a great plan. Thanks.

Did you receive a physical club membership card in mail? I believe Admirals Club doesn't have a separate app. Do you see a electronic club membership card in your AA app, and if yes, can you add to to your wallet (I use iPhone)?

As a Citi card member, we don't get a separate club membership card (credit card acts as a membership card). If I open a new account, I think I will receive a physical card in mail and an electronic card somewhere in the app. I think.

Please let us know. Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synzero
My only question is: why in the world would you do this? The AF for the executive card is less than the sky high AC membership fee, and you get up to 20K in LP bonuses with it which you don't get with a straight AC membership. What's the upside?
I know. You have a point. But the card is otherwise not valuable. And I have more than million miles unused in my account, which I cannot use because I have to earn enough LP to maintain my EXP status. I like to use the points for my club membership instead of paying AF to a unused credit card. Save money by using points which have otherwise no value (I van think of).
synzero likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
The Qantas Club is probably your friend here.
What do you mean? Can you post some details? Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What do you mean? Can you post some details? Thanks.
Well based on the above and the desire to burn miles it's probably not a good fit for you. The Qantas Club memberships require cash payments.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Did you receive a physical club membership card in mail? I believe Admirals Club doesn't have a separate app. Do you see a electronic club membership card in your AA app, and if yes, can you add to to your wallet (I use iPhone)?

As a Citi card member, we don't get a separate club membership card (credit card acts as a membership card). If I open a new account, I think I will receive a physical card in mail and an electronic card somewhere in the app. I think.

boerne I will appreciate your feedback. Please post at convenience. Many thanks.

Tintin
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan

I dont think I got a card but when I scan my BP they always know. And as a fall back I kept the confirmation email and can pull it up. I agree with the comment above about using miles. They have much less value now.
Tintin likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:00 am
Original Poster

I dont think I got a card but when I scan my BP they always know. And as a fall back I kept the confirmation email and can pull it up. I agree with the comment above about using miles. They have much less value now.
Thanks very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.