Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question about 15% off award travel Loyalty Point Reward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

In 2022 I booked an award trip for my partner. She took the trip in December 2022. On January 7, 2023 I selected the 15% off award discount reward, which expires on January 7, 2024.
Does anyone know if American will give me the rebate for the December 2022 trip?
And if so, how would they find it? I have looked through my records and I can't find the ticket number right now.
I know I will need to call AAdvantage Customer Service. I was just wondering if anyone has direct experience with this
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
No, per the T&C:

Award discount isn’t eligible for award travel completed before the date the award discount is deposited in the member’s wallet
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ce-rewards.jsp
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
No, per the T&C:
Piggybacking on this thread - since it says travel, if I redeem it after booking but before flying, am I correct in reading that it will work? Secondly, is it a single PNR?

I have never actually considered this before, but this thread got me thinking about it. I have a trip in a week (2 pax x 70k miles outbound on 1 PNR and then 1 x 70k and 1 x 70k on the return on separate PNRs)
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
Piggybacking on this thread - since it says travel, if I redeem it after booking but before flying, am I correct in reading that it will work? Secondly, is it a single PNR?
My interpretation (which certainly might not match AA's; we've had differences before especially on technicalities )

Q1: Yes you can redeem after booking but before flying. Travel is not "complete" until all segments are flown. Going further, you could book a round trip ticket and have flown some segments already - as long as travel is not complete (i.e. last segment is flown), you can select this redemption option and get the 15% off for the entire trip.

Q2: Yes, the term states the same reservation which I interpret as single PNR.

I've always thought this option has potential to be worth a lot, even when getting good value on miles - but it's really hard to get a r/t on a single PNR * 2 on a good award. At the end I'd rather take the 25k miles option.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field

I have never actually considered this before, but this thread got me thinking about it. I have a trip in a week (2 pax x 70k miles outbound on 1 PNR and then 1 x 70k and 1 x 70k on the return on separate PNRs)
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Q2: Yes, the term states the same reservation which I interpret as single PNR.

I've always thought this option has potential to be worth a lot, even when getting good value on miles - but it's really hard to get a r/t on a single PNR * 2 on a good award. At the end I'd rather take the 25k miles option.
Regarding Q2: while I don't recall reading anything exactly on point to your situation, fwiw there is some sporadic discussion of the 15% rebate buried in the more general thread on Loyalty Point rewards that suggests AA has shown some flexibility beyond what the literal wording of the T&Cs might suggest - eg here, here, and here. Probably that's more a matter of inconsistent implementation than policy, but I would not necessarily rule out the possibility that an agent would treat 2 separate PNRs as one "reservation" in your scenario provided that both travelers have identical itineraries. But that's admittedly just speculation on my part.
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Oct 12, 2023 at 6:08 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lrdpenn and ZenFlyer - Thank you.

I'll dig into it more and see what I can do. Complicating it for me further is the return flights are the same route, but 1 day apart. Not hopeful it would work, but will report back if I learn more.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:43 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Another question on this reward. It says it’s good for up to two pax on the same PNR. I have 4 people on the PNR - can I apply the rebate for two (out of four) people or will they tell me that only two people can be on the PNR for it to work?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by hp12c
Another question on this reward. It says it’s good for up to two pax on the same PNR. I have 4 people on the PNR - can I apply the rebate for two (out of four) people or will they tell me that only two people can be on the PNR for it to work?
Ever get an answer to this?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:12 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nall
Nope. I have a four-person r/t mileage booking USA-Europe in J at the end of December, so will end up applying to that and see what happens…
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:43 am

Any experience with rebates on one-way awards?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by elitelite
Any experience with rebates on one-way awards?
yes and no issue
ZenFlyer and elitelite like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by nall
Originally Posted by hp12c
Nope. I have a four-person r/t mileage booking USA-Europe in J at the end of December, so will end up applying to that and see what happens…
Take a look at the linked threads in post #5 above for at least one datapoint.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:03 pm

Update: I called and asked for a rebate on a recent 3-person award flight, and was successful. I only received the rebate for two tickets, but that's as expected.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
yes and no issue
Was this a single one way or 2 one ways (making a "round trip")

Seen datapoints above and elsewhere, but with AA, I'm still never confident. Have 2 one ways for 2 passengers (USA-South Africa and back), which would make the rebate potentially worth 45,000 miles.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:29 pm

Was this a single one way or 2 one ways (making a "round trip")

Seen datapoints above and elsewhere, but with AA, I'm still never confident. Have 2 one ways for 2 passengers (USA-South Africa and back), which would make the rebate potentially worth 45,000 miles.
I believe it needs to be on one pnr
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.