Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW invited to get off plane? 9-24-23

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
DFW invited to get off plane? 9-24-23

Pilot just announced that we are delayed again. (Already sitting on plane an hour). Said “you have an opportunity to get off plane and stay in DFW for the night but we hope you will stay on the plane but we don’t know when or if we will leave.” What the heck is that?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:50 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Pilot just announced that we are delayed again. (Already sitting on plane an hour). Said “you have an opportunity to get off plane and stay in DFW for the night but we hope you will stay on the plane but we don’t know when or if we will leave.” What the heck is that?
Giving people an opportunity to get off if they don't want to wait, hopefully preventing angry people down the line. I've seen people take up their offer and get off.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: PriorityPass, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Hmmm unfortunately can’t give specific answers to your question (may have to deal with a time limit passengers can be on the plane without having departed the gate?), but I’m also boarded on a flight at DFW (haven’t waited that long yet). Pilot/FAs have been mentioning stuff about weather issues/ ‘ramp being closed vs open’ as cause for delay.
Hope we don’t get that large a delay :/
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So now they are saying we have clearance to take off. But also offered to let people deplane. Said “this is your last chance to get off otherwise you’re making the flight with us”. That seems messed up. Like we should be scared to fly. SMH

Annnnd no one left. But why the offer if we have clearance to leave? Makes no sense.

Originally Posted by S80
Giving people an opportunity to get off if they don't want to wait, hopefully preventing angry people down the line. I've seen people take up their offer and get off.
I get that. But the announcement was weird. No indication what the issues were or what the possible outcomes were (though apparently canceled, delayed). It would’ve made more sense if pilot said “we might get canceled but we are at least more delayed bc of mechanical or weather or xyz”. Not that that is very helpful but it would’ve been something.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 26, 2023 at 9:44 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
I’m curious if the carrier would be deemed this as a voluntary change or involuntary change (at that stage) if the plane eventually takes off? It does seem the pilot is trying to be proactive to avoid the usual complaints they get about tarmac delays.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kprem
I’m curious if the carrier would be deemed this as a voluntary change or involuntary change (at that stage) if the plane eventually takes off? It does seem the pilot is trying to be proactive to avoid the usual complaints they get about tarmac delays.
Oh good point. So AA could claim voluntary change if they offered to deplane with zero info? Wow. That’s uncool. I mean I get it re trying to appease people by giving them a choice. But if you have ZERO information about why the delay and how long the delay etc, then how do you make a reasonable decision? We are headed to runway now so moot point. But this has been the strangest no info announcement set I’ve ever heard.

20 min later and we are sitting on tarmac after pulling back. I really hope this crew doesn’t time out after all that.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Sep 24, 2023 at 9:42 pm
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: PriorityPass, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Our flight taxied from C terminal area to B terminal area to use less busy departure runway per our pilot… taxing/waiting for that took 30 minutes. But still have a 20-30 min wait now for actually takeoff.
Wouldn’t hold my breath that you would take off soon ? ;(
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xtremegene
Our flight taxied from C terminal area to B terminal area to use less busy departure runway per our pilot… taxing/waiting for that took 30 minutes. But still have a 20-30 min wait now for actually takeoff.
Wouldn’t hold my breath that you would take off soon ? ;(
Yup. That’s about right. Still cruising around runaways. 😑 And now 2.5 hours delayed. On the upside this is the first real issue I’ve had in the last 21 flights.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Sep 24, 2023 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering that AA just got fined millions dollars for not giving people a chance to get off during lengthy tarmac delays, it's no surprise that they are erring on the side of caution
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Considering that AA just got fined millions dollars for not giving people a chance to get off during lengthy tarmac delays, it's no surprise that they are erring on the side of caution
I appreciate the offer if it is contextualized. But a random “get off or you’re coming with us” is bizarre.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate the offer if it is contextualized. But a random “get off or you’re coming with us” is bizarre.
They are not offering it because they want you to appreciate it. They are offering it because the DOT told them to.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Long line.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They are not offering it because they want you to appreciate it. They are offering it because the DOT told them to.
DOT told them to invite people to deplane full stop? With zero explanation?
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 26, 2023 at 9:46 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Weather was definitely the issue.
There were pop up storms with high winds, hail and rotation in some areas of the DFW metroplex. One area had over 200+ lightning strikes per minute being reported.
They are storms popping up again now.

Yes, as mentioned earlier, they were offering passengers the option to deplane after being scolded for not allowing such on long delays.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
DOT told them to invite people to deplane full stop? With zero explanation?
There's a maximum time allowed to hold passengers. AA got fined for surpassing it. If someone wants to get off, they will head back to the gate.

I've been one whos taken advantage of this. Flight was too late to make my connection, so I had them head back and deplane me so I could catch another flight to where I needed to be. Usually wouldn't, but extenuating circumstances necessitated this.
scoonee, wetrat0, jlemon and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
There's a maximum time allowed to hold passengers. AA got fined for surpassing it. If someone wants to get off, they will head back to the gate.

I've been one whos taken advantage of this. Flight was too late to make my connection, so I had them head back and deplane me so I could catch another flight to where I needed to be. Usually wouldn't, but extenuating circumstances necessitated this.
I understand this. What I do not understand is why pilot would give zero explanation for the offer to deplane. Everyone was confused.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.