Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If you pre-order a meal from the website, does that mean you will be skipped over for the upgrade using a system wide? I’m confirmed in business and on the waitlist for first from Sydney. I don’t want to hurt my chances.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If you pre-order a meal from the website, does that mean you will be skipped over for the upgrade using a system wide? I’m confirmed in business and on the waitlist for first from Sydney. I don’t want to hurt my chances.
No. There is no link between the two that I've ever heard of.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Nope, not at all.

If the upgrade clears, you should go back and pre-order a meal from F. I’ve been upgraded from J to F before and did not re-order my pre-order, and that is what was catered for me in F. F was fairly empty, so I was still able to select a different F meal. It may not matter much - F usually only has 1 additional entree than J.
Antarius and robertablake like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Hi all,
First time posting, so apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum-
I'm trying to make sense of why I was able to get a SWU via phone but did not see it on EF:
Flight: JFK-> FCO AA 246 6/6/24 shows 0 C inventory on EF (J 7) , I was calling American for an unrelated issue and asked whether there were SWU on this flight and they confirmed there was. Upgraded from MC to Business
Are my search queries off?
Search parameters: AA, nonstop, exclude code shares, show C inventory
As of background, I am EXP 230K and had 1 SWU. SWU also doesn't show up in the AA search when I look for flights either.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hmp1988
Hi all,
First time posting, so apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum-
I'm trying to make sense of why I was able to get a SWU via phone but did not see it on EF:
Flight: JFK-> FCO AA 246 6/6/24 shows 0 C inventory on EF (J 7) , I was calling American for an unrelated issue and asked whether there were SWU on this flight and they confirmed there was. Upgraded from MC to Business
Are my search queries off?
Search parameters: AA, nonstop, exclude code shares, show C inventory
As of background, I am EXP 230K and had 1 SWU. SWU also doesn't show up in the AA search when I look for flights either.
Welcome to FT. While it is rare, there have been some cases where an EXP agent is able to confirm a SWU upgrade even though EF and/or aa.com may show C0. I've had it happen once or twice over the years. So most likely nothing to do with your searches, don't overthink it, just enjoy grabbing the upgrade.
iadisgreat, tfizzle and zip10001 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. While it is rare, there have been some cases where an EXP agent is able to confirm a SWU upgrade even though EF and/or aa.com may show C0. I've had it happen once or twice over the years. So most likely nothing to do with your searches, don't overthink it, just enjoy grabbing the upgrade.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I guess it never hurts to ask.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:46 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by hmp1988
Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I guess it never hurts to ask.
This happened to me last year, confirmed two upgrades MXP-JFK in February when nothing was showing on EF when I called in to wait-list them - a benefit that was thought to be lost!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PPro
Sorry, can someone please reminder me. Can I Use and SWU on an award ticket? I'm in PE from DFW to FRA in June.

thank you in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:42 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Sorry, can someone please reminder me. Can I Use and SWU on an award ticket? I'm in PE from DFW to FRA in June.

thank you in advance.
Negative, only complimentary upgrades on awards, but not long haul international.
Upgrades are only valid on individual published-fare tickets. Upgrades are not applicable to AAdvantage® travel awards; any free ticket; military or other government fares; opaque fares; infant tickets (including INF50 fares) or purchased extra seats
Old May 2, 2024, 9:06 am

Can you use SWU to waitlist on multiple flights

my question is if I have multiple transcon trips coming up, and I only have 2 SWUs left, can I waitlist on multiple flights with the same SWUs and let whatever clears first clear?

Originally Posted by Stripe
If that leg clears in advance remember to call right away to apply the SWU to the domestic leg(s). Often they will clear right away, but at least you'll get the priority on the airport waitlist.

Personally I'm not convinced that if you waitlist the entire thing that the domestic legs could clear before the international leg. It didn't used to work that way.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThePointsDai
my question is if I have multiple transcon trips coming up, and I only have 2 SWUs left, can I waitlist on multiple flights with the same SWUs and let whatever clears first clear?
Yes
Old May 2, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This happened to me last year, confirmed two upgrades MXP-JFK in February when nothing was showing on EF when I called in to wait-list them - a benefit that was thought to be lost!
Last 2 upgrades for me has the SWU clearing and EF NEVER sending a C=1 alert - so it does happen - not sure if the sweep does an upgrade pass quick and completes it before publishing C inventory
Old May 3, 2024, 3:43 pm

Hello FT. Just wanted to confirm something here please. My soon-to-be wife and I will be flying down to Cancun on our honeymoon in a little over 2 weeks. We're heading down to Mexico and then spending a week+ in Japan! We're very excited.

My question is about SWU's. If I am able to find a friend who can give 2 system-wide upgrades for our AA fare from RDU down to Cancun (which we paid for / is not an award flight), would 2 SWU's allow us to upgrade from Economy to J class? I searched on AA's website and there is award availability on the flight within business class to upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 3, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by rbrad
Hello FT. Just wanted to confirm something here please. My soon-to-be wife and I will be flying down to Cancun on our honeymoon in a little over 2 weeks. We're heading down to Mexico and then spending a week+ in Japan! We're very excited.

My question is about SWU's. If I am able to find a friend who can give 2 system-wide upgrades for our AA fare from RDU down to Cancun (which we paid for / is not an award flight), would 2 SWU's allow us to upgrade from Economy to J class? I searched on AA's website and there is award availability on the flight within business class to upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Yes. You also don't need a friend - you can request a mileage upgrade for 15k miles + $75 per ticket which operates the same as a SWU would.

How are you determining "there is award availability on the flight within business class to upgrade"? If you are just seeing AA selling a seat in business with miles, that does not indicate you can clear a SWU; that means there is just a J seat for sale.

Do you have a full one-way ticket all on AA that goes something like RDU-CUN-DFW-NRT? If this trip is one ticket, then a single SWU may cover the entire one-way direction, from RDU-CUN-DFW-NRT. I don't think SWUs have a layover/stopover limitation, as long it's all one ticket in a one-way direction and up to 3 segments. Now that is a value proposition that might spur a friend to donate or someone from FT might even give you one if you could pull off the upgrade on all segments!
JJeffrey and rbrad like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Yes. You also don't need a friend - you can request a mileage upgrade for 15k miles + $75 per ticket which operates the same as a SWU would.

How are you determining "there is award availability on the flight within business class to upgrade"? If you are just seeing AA selling a seat in business with miles, that does not indicate you can clear a SWU; that means there is just a J seat for sale.

Do you have a full one-way ticket all on AA that goes something like RDU-CUN-DFW-NRT? If this trip is one ticket, then a single SWU may cover the entire one-way direction, from RDU-CUN-DFW-NRT. I don't think SWUs have a layover/stopover limitation, as long it's all one ticket in a one-way direction and up to 3 segments. Now that is a value proposition that might spur a friend to donate or someone from FT might even give you one if you could pull off the upgrade on all segments!
Okay, thanks for this insight! Good to know that I could request a mileage upgrade that way, or have a generous friend - either one.

And yes, I was just looking on the AA website on that date and saw J class available to book with cash or miles, so thought that would mean that an upgrade would clear. Appreciate your clarification.

No, I wish! And that would be amazing to secure a SWU for that massive itinerary. Unfortunately it's just an AA flight from RDU (via MIA) to CUN. Then DL flight to LAX for a few days and a UA flight over to NRT, so we're flying on all the alliances

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.