Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:12 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, all the LHR-JFK flights are C0 on March 10. Not sure what that poster was looking at to get C19 lol.
I would say the BA flight numbers, where the classes are different, but BA only goes to 9 (not 7 like AA)
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz
C=7 is the highest it can go. How do you get C=19 and C=14?
there are several flights daily from JFK-LHR, sum of all C space on that day
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:26 pm

Could someone explain the exact benefit of ExpertFlyer search for C availability?

If I search with ExpertFlyer and it says 7 C seats available and then I go to AA booking and the SWU option is not listed for the flight, does it mean AA has just not assigned a SWU for that flight? Is ExperFlyer just showing what possibly could have room but not necessarily a SWU?

I keep finding flights to Europe with lots of C availability but no SWU option. I am just trying to find random flights to find somewhere in the last quarter of the year.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
Could someone explain the exact benefit of ExpertFlyer search for C availability?

If I search with ExpertFlyer and it says 7 C seats available and then I go to AA booking and the SWU option is not listed for the flight, does it mean AA has just not assigned a SWU for that flight? Is ExperFlyer just showing what possibly could have room but not necessarily a SWU?

I keep finding flights to Europe with lots of C availability but no SWU option. I am just trying to find random flights to find somewhere in the last quarter of the year.
make sure you’re searching using the awards and upgrades search option, that you’re only searching segment by segment and that you’re only looking at flights marketed by and operated by AA or one of Aa’s regional carriers.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
make sure you’re searching using the awards and upgrades search option, that you’re only searching segment by segment and that you’re only looking at flights marketed by and operated by AA or one of Aa’s regional carriers.
So I should be able to find a SWU for this flight? I am having a hard time getting the booking tool to display this exact flight.

Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No - you need to search sector by sector

If you search for upgrade availability for PHL-VCE on its own, you will see it is C0
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No - you need to search sector by sector

If you search for upgrade availability for PHL-VCE on its own, you will see it is C0
Thank you!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
Thank you!
Make sure you set an alert too since when and if C>0 you can hop on it and call exp line
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
What has been the historical clearance for DFW-HNL/OGG (to and from) mid-week (Tue or Wed) in September? I believe that's considered shoulder season for Hawaii. WIth the 788 only having 20 seats, i'm a nervous wreck, lol.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Josh Geigerman
Don't forget to calculate the miles (and LP) you will earn if upgraded to C, with the 175% class bonus, that ticket gets you >30,000 LPs and redeemable miles.
No, upgraded flights earn per the original booking. Moreover, since applying a SWU requires an AA marketed and operated flight, this will mean earning by fare (rather than a percentage of distance) in the vast majority of cases. With fare-based earning, there is no additional class bonus. Finally, paid C (listed in the earning chart) is completely different from upgrade C.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I fly let’s say jfk-lhr-Ist and use a SWU on the transatlantic on AA metal can I upgrade the BA operated lhr-Ist leg ? I think you can as long as the Ba leg is available as a saver reward correct?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:11 am

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Originally Posted by enviroian
If I fly let’s say jfk-lhr-Ist and use a SWU on the transatlantic on AA metal can I upgrade the BA operated lhr-Ist leg ? I think you can as long as the Ba leg is available as a saver reward correct?
Yes as long as there is award you can ring up EP or message AA on social media to get the second segment upgraded & reticketed. Just got to babysit your SWU balance to make sure they don't take a second SWU as they did for me (but it was easyto redeposit).
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Make sure you set an alert too since when and if C>0 you can hop on it and call exp line
I tried that a few days ago and got an offer to be called back in 47-57 minutes, by which time C1 had gone back to C0.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
I tried that a few days ago and got an offer to be called back in 47-57 minutes, by which time C1 had gone back to C0.
yeah that sucks. That’s why I PM AA on X and they can apply the SWU right away with very fast response time.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Well the SWU gods are smiling, my LHR-JFK for next weekend just cleared. Thank the lord.
apeortdz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.