Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate Reservation error when booking a previously cancelled itin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC

Is anyone else experiencing reservations staying in your profile after cancellation?
If I try to book the same itinerary again, it tells me the reservation is a duplicate and I cannot proceed.
The original reservation remains in "upcoming flights," with a "trip cancelled" message. I am not sure what the rebound time is.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I have a related question. I have an award ticket on BA booked with AA miles in Business. An award seat in First on the same flight has opened up. What is the best way to go about switching to First? I see a few options:

1. Cancel current Business ticket, book First ticket as if the Business one had never existed.

2. Book First ticket, wait for it actually ticket, then cancel Business ticket.

3. Put First ticket on hold, cancel Business ticket, then ticket the First reservation.

4. Call AA.

5. Not mess with it, if it's took risky that it won't turn out well. I'll just have to put up with Business in this case.

I have enough miles so that I'm not worried about getting my original ticket refunded before being able to book the second ticket. My sole concern is being able to book the second ticket and having it stay that way without running into some kind of problem with a supposed duplicate booking.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by Steve M
I have a related question. I have an award ticket on BA booked with AA miles in Business. An award seat in First on the same flight has opened up. What is the best way to go about switching to First? I see a few options:

1. Cancel current Business ticket, book First ticket as if the Business one had never existed.

2. Book First ticket, wait for it actually ticket, then cancel Business ticket.

3. Put First ticket on hold, cancel Business ticket, then ticket the First reservation.

4. Call AA.

5. Not mess with it, if it's took risky that it won't turn out well. I'll just have to put up with Business in this case.

I have enough miles so that I'm not worried about getting my original ticket refunded before being able to book the second ticket. My sole concern is being able to book the second ticket and having it stay that way without running into some kind of problem with a supposed duplicate booking.
In this scenario, I usually put the new award on hold, cancel the old one, and then finalize the new one, but I've done each of the first three options you listed and they all turned out fine. I've never received this duplicate reservation error, but maybe that's a new "enhancement." Given this report, I'd lean toward doing option 2 or 3 in order to ensure that I can actually grab the space before cancelling the old one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.