Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does only the seat 1A window shade need to be up for taxiing and takeoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I’m confused: with window shades in planes so often closed in the summer when the plane is parked at a gate, when the plane starts to taxi before takeoff:

1. Does only the window shade for seat 1A need to be open;

2. Do more window shades need to be open; or

3. Can window shades stay closed?

And who sets this policy: AA or the FAA or some other regulator?

I was recently yelled at by an FA for not having my seat 1A window shade open (since the captain had just told us to close them to keep the cabin cool). Nobody else was told to open the window shade.

But on subsequent trips, window shades remained closed and the FAs did nothing.

So I’m confused. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I’m confused: with window shades in planes so often closed in the summer when the plane is parked at a gate, when the plane starts to taxi before takeoff:

1. Does only the window shade for seat 1A need to be open;

2. Do more window shades need to be open; or

3. Can window shades stay closed?

And who sets this policy: AA or the FAA or some other regulator?

I was recently yelled at by an FA for not having my seat 1A window shade open (since the captain had just told us to close them to keep the cabin cool). Nobody else was told to open the window shade.

But on subsequent trips, window shades remained closed and the FAs did nothing.

So I’m confused. Thanks.
All Exit Rows need shades open for takeoff and landings.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I thought it was just the exit row <?>
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve been on flights where the FAs wanted window shades up in row 1- said in case of evacuation sometimes it’s easier to assess the outside situation before opening the doors from the row 1 windows vs the tiny porthole windows in 1L and 1R.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:05 pm

Seems like the sort of thing that a simple sticker could fix 😂
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
A number of regional jets -- definitely all CR7 and CR9s -- need 1A open as the "lookout" window. I should know whether E70/75 is also on the list because 1A is my go to on that aircraft, but all my E75 routes were upgauged to A319s over the past couple years so I just don't remember...
BWISkyGuy, dw and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't mind the windows being closed on the ground to keep the cabin cool, but it drives me crazy when the flight begins and most at the window seats don't open them...just makes the cabin feel too dark and claustrophobic....for some reason I noticed this most often on AA rather than AS flights. There is a lively discussion about window shades over in the AS forum...
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:02 pm

On mainline, the only requirement is open window shades for over wing exits.
WeekendTraveler and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:40 pm

Airlines set these policies.
Spirit is the only US carrier I know of that requires all window shades to be open during take off and landing.
Many foreign carriers also require it.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hur88
Airlines set these policies.
Spirit is the only US carrier I know of that requires all window shades to be open during take off and landing.
Many foreign carriers also require it.
I thought window shades were eliminated due to weight on Spirit
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
As long as there is nothing blocking the windows in the cockpit, I am not too worried.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:23 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Personally, I prefer all shades to be open during takeoff and landing so that rescue personnel can more easily see inside the aircraft should their assistance be required.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:12 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
It's an airline policy to not require all window shades to be open. After the L1011 abortive takeoff at JFK in 1992 resulting in a hull loss, TWA changed it's policy to require all window shades to be up during the takeoff and landing periods to assist in an evacuation should one become necessary.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by nyc6035
It's an airline policy to not require all window shades to be open. After the L1011 abortive takeoff at JFK in 1992 resulting in a hull loss, TWA changed it's policy to require all window shades to be up during the takeoff and landing periods to assist in an evacuation should one become necessary.
Ok, but how can passengers know the airline policy? I sort of doubt this is in the conditions of carriage, not that 99% of passengers read them, so this seems like yet another example where passengers face consequences for breaking inconsistent rules they were never told about.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by hur88
Hawaiian also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.