Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA958 ALB-CLT return to ALB Aug 5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:04 am
Original Poster

AA958 ALB-CLT return to ALB Aug 5

Sounds like it struck something on takeoff and returned to the field.

Anyone with more details? Bird strike?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep, EF says hit something on takeoff, whether it was a bird or something on the runway, who knows.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA reporting bumping in something on the runway on takeoff as per Live ATC recording for ALB (AUG 5 1600-1700 GMT). Subsequent landing aircraft spotted something on ground between FOXTROT and DELTA.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Just my observations as I was on a Delta flight that was on final approach when this occurred:

My flight from ATL was on final approach when we accelerated, pulled up and aborted the landing on runway 1. Captain indicated an aircraft had a birdstrike on takeoff, and we aborted as they wanted to assess and pick up any bird remains off the runway. We ended up being in a holding pattern for around 20-ish minutes as the AA aircraft was returning back to ALB. We switched to runway 28 for landing and once we did land I saw the AA aircraft on the taxiway adjacent to runway 1 with fire crews in front and behind. There didn't seem to be any urgency whatsoever so they looked to have been there as a precaution. Didn't see any visible damage to the AA aircraft and they started their return to the gate right after my aircraft parked.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Pity when you want to leave ALB you should be free to go
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kstateinALB
Just my observations as I was on a Delta flight that was on final approach when this occurred:

My flight from ATL was on final approach when we accelerated, pulled up and aborted the landing on runway 1. Captain indicated an aircraft had a birdstrike on takeoff, and we aborted as they wanted to assess and pick up any bird remains off the runway. We ended up being in a holding pattern for around 20-ish minutes as the AA aircraft was returning back to ALB. We switched to runway 28 for landing and once we did land I saw the AA aircraft on the taxiway adjacent to runway 1 with fire crews in front and behind. There didn't seem to be any urgency whatsoever so they looked to have been there as a precaution. Didn't see any visible damage to the AA aircraft and they started their return to the gate right after my aircraft parked.
ATC recording captured conversation between tower and your flight.

Tower ask if DL wanted to proceed to land given reports of FOD. DL queried to confirm "no FOD check was performed." ATC confirmed no FOD check was performed.

DL opted not to land and was instructed by tower to hold at 2000' while keeping runway heading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.