Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance on AA Transpacific Redemption Ticket with Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat

Hi everyone- looking for some help to understand what the baggage allowance is for my AA redemption 001 issued ticket that has Cathay Pacific as the most significant carrier (BOS-JFK on AA, JFK-HKG on CX, and HKG-MNL on CX).

The issue is that AA's eticket does not have baggage allowance info easily like other carriers and even AA phone and chat CSR don't even know the answer to such a definitive answer.

CX own website states 1 check-in for transpacific US-MNL flights for basic economy and redemption tickets but 2 check-in for regular economy ticket.

Again the issue is whether the 1 check-in is for CX issued stock redemption tickets or all redemption seats booked into X regardless of issuing mileage program carrier.

Cheers
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
You're certainly correct that AA's partner redemption confirmation emails don't provide comprehensive, or oftentimes any, baggage allowance information. Did you try pulling up your passenger details on the CX website? Or plugging your PNR into one of the other OW carrier sites? AY and MH usually provide more intuitive baggage information.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Following the post above: if you pull up the reservation on CX, you can have CX email you an eticket. Your baggage allowance will be printed there.

As for whose baggage policy applies… does AA use the MSC? Asking because for flights to/from the US, the marketing airline on the first coupon determines what policy to use. I know for a fact AS adopts the MSC policy, but I could also see AA just always use its own policy?

Regardless it will show under the CX ticket, or under the endorsement section (Bg-CX for example)
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shd9
As for whose baggage policy applies… does AA use the MSC? Asking because for flights to/from the US, the marketing airline on the first coupon determines what policy to use. I know for a fact AS adopts the MSC policy, but I could also see AA just always use its own policy?
AA defers to the most significant carrier

The ticket receipt from AA will be required to detail whose allowance is applicable as well as charge for 1st and 2nd pieces - I would expect that it will be an allowance of 1 piece of max 23kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.