Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Have F ticket but was assigned J seat by QR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

So I'm traveling today NBO-QR-DOH-AA-JFK. My reservation is in J on QR (they don't operate F) and in F on AA. I had seat 2J lined up for the DOH-JFK at the time of my reservation, but when I checked in with QR at NBO, they assigned me 4J (a J seat), which I didn't notice until I passed through security and arrived at the lounge. I can't change it online -- the app gives me an error message -- and just spent 20 minutes on the phone with AA, who tried but were unsuccessful fixing it; they said I have to do it when I arrive at DOH. I'll ask the QR folks again when I board the NBO-DOH flight, but I'm not confident they can fix it, in which case I'll have to deal with it at DOH. Anyone ever experienced this before? Any risk here?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
So I'm traveling today NBO-QR-DOH-AA-JFK. My reservation is in J on QR (they don't operate F) and in F on AA. I had seat 2J lined up for the DOH-JFK at the time of my reservation, but when I checked in with QR at NBO, they assigned me 4J (a J seat), which I didn't notice until I passed through security and arrived at the lounge. I can't change it online -- the app gives me an error message -- and just spent 20 minutes on the phone with AA, who tried but were unsuccessful fixing it; they said I have to do it when I arrive at DOH. I'll ask the QR folks again when I board the NBO-DOH flight, but I'm not confident they can fix it, in which case I'll have to deal with it at DOH. Anyone ever experienced this before? Any risk here?
I haven’t, but is it on AA or QR stock, and what is your fare class for the DOH-JFK segment. I think so long as you’re in F/A you should be fine. That said, perhaps shoot the twitter team a message or the chat feature. I’d also look at the seat map just to make sure they aren’t all taken.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I haven’t, but is it on AA or QR stock, and what is your fare class for the DOH-JFK segment. I think so long as you’re in F/A you should be fine. That said, perhaps shoot the twitter team a message or the chat feature. I’d also look at the seat map just to make sure they aren’t all taken.
AA stock. The flight is showing F0 on EF, but there are several unassigned F seats (including mine).
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do I just message @AmericanAir?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Do I just message @AmericanAir?
Yes DM works well with them as does the chat feature on the app. That said, you may have better luck with twitter given this is a bit of a complex situation. Good news is that it’s on AA stock.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes DM works well with them as does the chat feature on the app. That said, you may have better luck with twitter given this is a bit of a complex situation. Good news is that it’s on AA stock.
Both the AA twitter team and the QR gate agents told me this can only be dealt with at DOH. I’m reasonably confident it will be fixed. And although it will suck if it’s not, at least I’ll be in J on a 773.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Both the AA twitter team and the QR gate agents told me this can only be dealt with at DOH. I’m reasonably confident it will be fixed. And although it will suck if it’s not, at least I’ll be in J on a 773.
Good luck, for as good as QR is in the air, they are just as bad on the ground.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Good luck, for as good as QR is in the air, they are just as bad on the ground.
If the issue is the seat assignment on AA's DOH-JFK, then OP should work with AA at DOH, not QR. On day of departure, the operating carrier will handle this, assuming it's something as simple as a seat assignment and not a ticketing problem.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
at least I’ll be in J on a 773.
but you paid for F. I would be livid. AA will use some silly algorithm to deduce how much to pay you back on the price difference and I'm sure it will be far less than what you paid.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Ugh what a frustrating problem. Nobody from QR will be able to help you, as this an AA ticket on a flight operated by AA. I am a bit surprised the Twitter team couldn't help. I would try EXP desk again if you are able to do so by phone. Otherwise, head straight for AA GAs when you land at DOH. You also likely won't be able to get into Al Safwah unless/until this is resolved.
enviroian and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So there was no shortage of stress due to a late arrival from NBO together with arriving at a stand requiring a bus to the terminal followed by two security checks (the standard DOH transit security together with the secondary security for an US-bound flight at the gate), but still I arrived at the desk an hour before flight time, explaining the issue to the agent, and now am back in 2J.
spiritkat09, SK, Spiff and 13 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by njvandy
Ugh what a frustrating problem. Nobody from QR will be able to help you, as this an AA ticket on a flight operated by AA. I am a bit surprised the Twitter team couldn't help. I would try EXP desk again if you are able to do so by phone. Otherwise, head straight for AA GAs when you land at DOH. You also likely won't be able to get into Al Safwah unless/until this is resolved.

I was thinking similar in terms of how to deal with it if no non-airport solutions work. Transfer desk (if that’s a thing for AA in DOH) could work if the gate isn’t open.

This is also a good test case to see if AS lounge access is determined on seat or fare class.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
but you paid for F. I would be livid. AA will use some silly algorithm to deduce how much to pay you back on the price difference and I'm sure it will be far less than what you paid.
Yeah, I would have been frustrated, but not sure about livid. It’s a fine line! Nonetheless I’m thrilled it worked out.

Boarding is about to start.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:51 pm

Yeah, I would have been frustrated, but not sure about livid. It’s a fine line! Nonetheless I’m thrilled it worked out.

Boarding is about to start.
Glad to hear that. Who was able to sort it and were you able to access Al Safwa / have time.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Glad to hear that. Who was able to sort it and were you able to access Al Safwa / have time.
Absolutely no time for the lounge. (I spent a fair bit of time in the QR lounges in the past.) The gate agent (a third party, not AA staff) fixed everything with a couple of clicks of the keyboard.
ryanbriar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.