Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Options when partner business award flight cancels....???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD

Hi - I expect this has been answered somewhere but its a bit esoteric (although given the many folks utilizing AA partner business awards, maybe not so much).

I used AA miles for 2 business partner tickets nonstop CDG-LAX on July 15. The flight is operated by Air Tahiti Nui as TN 7 and although AA miles were used the ticket is booked as that TN flight, NOT an AA codeshare.

There is a cabin crew strike at TN and flights are being cancelled. It's too early to know whether this particular flight will be cancelled but since we have to be back in LA next week I'm trying to figure at least a back up plan. As one would expect, flights on most airlines revenue and miles, are very very hard to get -- 350-400k miles one way per ticket on United and American and Flying Blue, a million miles on Delta etc....there are some business tickets for sale with lousy connections for $5k each but usually more ($8-9k one way on AA and BA). We are willing to buy refundable business tickets with cash or miles as a back up, as long as they are rerfundable.

Air Tahit Nui's notice said they will refund a ticket if we cancel now, This is an AA miles ticket so I could do that anyway and get 57.5k miles per ticket back. Not worth doing obviously.

We hope, of course, TN 7 will operate as scheduled on 7/15. But if not....

Two quetions:

1. I assume if Air Tahiti Nui cancel the flights, we have the option of getting our AA miles back PLUS some sort of EU compensation since the flight is leaving from Paris (ie EU)? If so, what? I assume this is the case unless they can rebook us on another flight within a day or two (meaning essentially Air France or Delta as the only nonstops, which seems very unlikely for them to do in revenue business seats) and unless the strike is settled, TN won't know whether their own flights later in the week are going to operate so being rebooked on those doesn't help much.

2. If we wait for the cancellation but make other back up arrangements back from Paris, any advice on the best options would be appreciated. Given how busy Europe travel is, there aren't too many options. LHR may be the best bet for AA but even getting to LHR from Paris, by plane anyway, isnt that straightforward.

Anyhow, as others may have faced similar issues with other partner (but not codeshare) award business class tickets, any thoughts much appreciated!
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I would book a backup revenue ticket and if the strike isn't averted by T-24, get your miles back. I don't think EU261 applies to "extraordinary circumstances", which a strike may fall under.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I would not buy any back up tickets. If TN cancel they will have to rebook you.
lowfareair and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
As it's the airline's own staff that are striking this would not be an "extraordinary circumstance" that would avoid payment of compensation under EU261. Given that we're less than 14 days from the date in question a cancellation at this stage would mean compensation would be payable.
seawolf, lowfareair, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
AA flies that route, just not non-stop. They can reaccomodate you on their metal. You might have to Huca six times or more, but they will.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Geordie405
As it's the airline's own staff that are striking this would not be an "extraordinary circumstance" that would avoid payment of compensation under EU261. Given that we're less than 14 days from the date in question a cancellation at this stage would mean compensation would be payable.
Though they will likely claim that it is anyway, so expect a bit of back-and-forth before payout.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:20 am

How about the reverse? Have a AA miles flight later this week with Air Tahiti Nui : LAX to CDG.....

edit : Called EXP help-desk and they confirmed the following : Miles and fees would be REFUNDED but customers would have to re-book another flight / route on their own. There would be no considerations, if the new flight would be more miles

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Jul 11, 2023 at 1:58 am Reason: added final line
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
EU261 duty of care also applies under extraordinary circumstances. Only the compensation is waived.

There is also no exception for tickets paid with miles.

The flight is on a non-EU carrier originating in the EU. It is covered by EU261 and Air Tahiti Nui is responsible for rebooking on the next available flight (on any carrier). It is also responsible for additional expenses such as hotel and food, etc.

I would not cancel, but would watch the flight status. If it is canceled, call them and ask to be rebooked. If they refuse, write an email with a short deadline asking for the same. If they don't do that you can book a new ticket and claim back the expenses.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
How about the reverse? Have a AA miles flight later this week with Air Tahiti Nui : LAX to CDG.....

edit : Called EXP help-desk and they confirmed the following : Miles and fees would be REFUNDED but customers would have to re-book another flight / route on their own. There would be no considerations, if the new flight would be more miles
Interesting.

So AA actually stated straight up they would not reaccomodate on their own metal?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway

1. HUCA
2. EU261 gives you the right to two things: (i) if it's the airline strike that caused it, compensation of up to €600 assuming you get delayed by 4+ hours, AND ALSO (ii) rebooking on comparable routing at no extra charge to you. In theory this means you could force them to rebook you onto one of the AF CDG-LAX nonstop services departing at a similar time. In practice...well, good luck finding someone at AA or TN who understands EU261 and is willing to honor the letter of the law.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
1. HUCA
2. EU261 gives you the right to two things: (i) if it's the airline strike that caused it, compensation of up to €600 assuming you get delayed by 4+ hours, AND ALSO (ii) rebooking on comparable routing at no extra charge to you. In theory this means you could force them to rebook you onto one of the AF CDG-LAX nonstop services departing at a similar time. In practice...well, good luck finding someone at AA or TN who understands EU261 and is willing to honor the letter of the law.
EC261 only applies on flights TO Europe that are operated by EU and UK airlines (maybe Swiss too?).
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by moondog
EC261 only applies on flights TO Europe that are operated by EU and UK airlines (maybe Swiss too?).
False, it only applies to any flight leaving from the EU, all flights within the EU and on all flights operated by an EU carrier.

EU air passenger rights apply:

• If your flight is within the EU and is operated either by an EU or a non-EU airline
  • If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline
  • If your flight departs from the EU to a non-EU country operated by an EU or a non-EU airline
  • If you have not already received benefits (compensation, re-routing, assistance from the airline) for flight related problems for this journey under the relevant law of a non-EU country.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alibi
False, it only applies to any flight leaving from the EU, all flights within the EU and on all flights operated by an EU carrier.
My statement was not false. I was only commenting on flights to the EU, not "all flights operated by European airlines" because the poster who raised this question has a flight to the EU.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 6:11 am

Whoops, sorry. Misread.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Interesting.

So AA actually stated straight up they would not reaccomodate on their own metal?
I found that surprising too. I specifically asked if AA would rebook me automatically and/or what if there was an alternative flight but it cost more miles etc.

Although, perhaps AA would not rebook me BUT ATN would?

The person at the help desk didn't know off hand and checked with a supervisor. It was 2am, so who knows if the supervisor actually knew about the strike etc. The desk also mentioned they could not find any travel notices about Air Tahiti flights canceling which was equally surprising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.