Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Get Agent Who Knows How to Change Award That Has Partner Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 10:44 am
Original Poster

I have read that AA saver award seats are still in the system and indeed they appear on a ba.com award search. However have called 3 times now and each agent claims can only cancel and reissue to make changes to the AA flight that is part of the trip. There are business class award seats on partners involved that would be unlikely to reappear as available for awards if the entire reservation is cancelled. Any suggestions as to what to do or when to call? Just keep calling and playing the roulette wheel until I get a knowledgeable agent?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA changed the rules recently. You can't change AA awards anymore.

You either cancel and hope that they come back, or fly the original itinerary.
USFlyerUS and lowfareair like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dldkjones
I have read that AA saver award seats are still in the system and indeed they appear on a ba.com award search. However have called 3 times now and each agent claims can only cancel and reissue to make changes to the AA flight that is part of the trip. There are business class award seats on partners involved that would be unlikely to reappear as available for awards if the entire reservation is cancelled. Any suggestions as to what to do or when to call? Just keep calling and playing the roulette wheel until I get a knowledgeable agent?
I think you've been getting knowledgeable agents. AA award reservations can no longer be changed. The only option is to cancel and rebook. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...changingawards.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

So no changes to AA segments are allowed to partner awards? VFTW posted in May of this year that they are. Did this change since May or did VFTW get it wrong?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I remember a few on here said that, but I can’t find any reference to it from an official AA source. If someone else does, please post it.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Wow I missed that. So everything is essentially treated as a web special.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dldkjones
So no changes to AA segments are allowed to partner awards? VFTW posted in May of this year that they are. Did this change since May or did VFTW get it wrong?
IIRC, you can change all partner awards but not any with AA segments.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Called last weekend to drop the AS segment of an AS+JL partner award.

At first the agent said must cancel + redeposit and hope inventory re-appears.

I asked the agent to double-check and when she came back she was able to drop the AS segment and re-ticket with just the JL segment (without needing to cancel and redeposit).

The agent said that it would be impossible to add back the Alaska segment once I dropped it. I don’t know if that is policy, but I didn’t push back.

I don’t have any recent experience changing/adding/removing AA segments on awards or awards containing AA segments.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I remember a few on here said that, but I can’t find any reference to it from an official AA source. If someone else does, please post it.
Not a policy announcement from AA, but here is a series of observations and reports (both in the blog post and the comments) that address this question: https://liveandletsfly.com/american-...d-devaluation/

Paging MatthewLAX -- are you able to shed any further light on this issue?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:43 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A time machine? They seem to be universally insisting on cancel replace on these now
Old Jul 12, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I was able to change SIN-DOH-JFK-MIA (QR, QR, AA) to DPS-DOH-JFK-MIA when the DPS-DOH segment became available - was in April. Obviously didn't change the AA segment - but I was able to change it. It was priced as two awards since seemingly one isn't supposed to fly west bound from DPS but use non-existent eastbound flights for awards.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
A time machine? They seem to be universally insisting on cancel replace on these now
Any recent experience with this? Trying to drop an intra-Europe segment of a Europe to Middle East award (no AA). First agent insisted it couldn't be done without cancel/replace (and zero inventory available), so trying to confirm if people have done it recently before I try several rounds of HUCA.

Edit: I'll be the datapoint. The next agent knew exactly what I was asking for and took care of it within 2 minutes of my request, which included looking it up, confirming it had no AA segments, dropping the first, and telling me the credit I'll get back on my card as a result of it. Now for the hoping and praying it goes from On Request to Ticketed.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by lowfareair; Oct 17, 2023 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I have successfully modified a segment on a 3-leg combined QF-QR award, but it required at least 10 calls and the agent definitely...let's say bent some policies to get it done.
I would not recommend expecting to find someone to do this for you.

Dropping a leg, on the other hand, should be considerably easier (based on the intel I gathered in the past experience) and shouldn't take more than a few agents to find someone who knows how to do that. I believe dropping a segment (in a no-AA ticket) is actually allowed per policy.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Any recent experience with this? Trying to drop an intra-Europe segment of a Europe to Middle East award (no AA). First agent insisted it couldn't be done without cancel/replace (and zero inventory available), so trying to confirm if people have done it recently before I try several rounds of HUCA.

Edit: I'll be the datapoint. The next agent knew exactly what I was asking for and took care of it within 2 minutes of my request, which included looking it up, confirming it had no AA segments, dropping the first, and telling me the credit I'll get back on my card as a result of it. Now for the hoping and praying it goes from On Request to Ticketed.
You should be good. And thanks for sharing datapoints.

Another datapoint: I changed an award on an all QR itinerary; same route, different time for 1 of the flights. No issues at all.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair

So were you changing your departure point? Changing A-B-C to B-C? Were the segments on the same partner?

If you are trying to do something like this, does it matter if it's a multi-partner award or not? I could see it being an issue with a single partner due to possible married segment issues. But with multiple partners this should not matter (right?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.