Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA release of discount fare bucket timing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent

I am looking to book a discounted economy fare on a US-Tokyo flight operated by JAL with an AA Codeshare at 330 days out. AA’s booking calendar goes out to 330 days, but at 326-330 days the only fares according to EF are full are in each cabin, it shows F7 J7 Y7 and is zeroed out in every other fare bucket. Everything up until 326 days out shows plenty of discount fare buckets available.

There might be no logic to this, but all direct flights on those days (AA operated and AA codeshare with JAL) follow that FJY7 and everything else zeros.

Does AA typically release those buckets at XXX days, or is it some other type of faring dump that’s not daily?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Cash are always sky high for the first few days the schedule opens up, then they settle down to something more normal a few days later. Otherwise AA will set fares at the levels they think they can attain and adjust over time as demand picks up or drops off. Look again in a couple of days and you should see a huge difference, and keep monitoring as time passes. You could find the fare drops, if so and you have a non refundable ticket, cancel, rebook and take a flight credit for the difference.
JJeffrey and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There's no reason whatsoever to book a discount economy fare right when the booking window opens at 330 days unless you just want to pay more.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There's no reason whatsoever to book a discount economy fare right when the booking window opens at 330 days unless you just want to pay more.
I agree with you in the general sense, of course, but looking for long dated Asia fares now is an especially silly proposition because capacity still has a ways to go before it gets back to 2019 levels. And, you can't just look at Japan in isolation because additional flights to HK, Korea, China, and Taiwan will relieve pressure on Japan fares.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmail1
I am looking to book a discounted economy fare on a US-Tokyo flight operated by JAL with an AA Codeshare at 330 days out. AA’s booking calendar goes out to 330 days, but at 326-330 days the only fares according to EF are full are in each cabin, it shows F7 J7 Y7 and is zeroed out in every other fare bucket. Everything up until 326 days out shows plenty of discount fare buckets available.

There might be no logic to this, but all direct flights on those days (AA operated and AA codeshare with JAL) follow that FJY7 and everything else zeros.

Does AA typically release those buckets at XXX days, or is it some other type of faring dump that’s not daily?
Well, it seems you've picked up somewhat of a pattern in that they tend to not open lower fare buckets immediately at end-of-schedule, but tend to open more as schedule window slides forward a few days/weeks. Without knowing route you are looking at, I suspect you will be hard-pressed to beat the $357 fares on LAX-HND if bucket availability opens on them. I suppose they could file cheaper fare filings on route at some point (these are currently cheapest filings), but they probably won't be much less. These are 90 day AP BE fares and have an 'O' fare basis (so are dependent on O bucket being open). It appears to be a fare match of cheapest DL BE fares on LAX-HND.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 9, 2023 at 5:53 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Furby
Cash are always sky high for the first few days the schedule opens up, then they settle down to something more normal a few days later. Otherwise AA will set fares at the levels they think they can attain and adjust over time as demand picks up or drops off.
I know this seems like semantics, but the cheaper fare filings are still there, it's just that there isn't bucket availability on flights to purchase them. Much of the up/down in pricing is not due to loading new fares, but rather due to changing fare bucket inventory on flights. Once you know the lowest fare filings on a route (you can use ExpertFlyer for this, but you can often generally divine them from Google Flights calendar view) and if you find flights with bucket inventory for that fare class, you can be reasonably confident you are getting a decent deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.