Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to LAX-BOS???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
What happened to LAX-BOS???

Just went on to buy a couple of tickets on the one route I fly the most (family) in Sept and all they have is a red-eye? What happened? This was my airline. For decades. Has AA bailed on Boston? I can’t do B6 - just can’t… I can’t believe it. Is this temporary? Do I need to switch alliances? 😩😩😩
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What? There is one in the morning too.

As to whether you switch alliances, depends on how much you fly?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
All I see are the B6 codeshares, which will likely be disappearing soon anyway, and the AA redeye. We'll see what happens when the B6 codeshares are removed and whether AA adds its own metal back to that route.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
All I see are the B6 codeshares, which will likely be disappearing soon anyway, and the AA redeye. We'll see what happens when the B6 codeshares are removed and whether AA adds its own metal back to that route.
I would expect AA to go back in on this route.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks Antarius — Well that’s weird. I searched Mon 9/11 and Tues 9/12 - only a red-eye on those days. Wed 9/13 there’s a 7:25am flight. Then I checked EF for AA#1632 on 9/11 and 9/12 - no such flight… so they’re just not flying on those random 2 dates? The following mon and Tues I see the flights listed again!
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I would expect AA to go back in on this route.
to all the Gods out there I pray I hope so!
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:23 am

I've been eyeballing this route for a trip next summer, and there are 4 AA-metal flights per day getting released.

Not sure what is up with your September date.
matinicus rock and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:04 am

The number of daily non-stop flights on this route is always fluctuating between one and four depending on the time of year, with the evening/redeyes being the only constant. Whether that changes when the B6 codeshare goes away is anyone's guess but my guess would be no change for AA unless another airline (ahem JetBlue) reduces capacity. AA likely won't abandon the route but they may continue to operate once daily during slow times.

You can always connect at JFK lol.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Just booked that route for Sept 14 myself, and AA has two flights a day - one at 7:30 in the morning (1632) , and the redeye. I presume that there'll be more again after the B6 codeshares disappear when the Northeast alliance is dissolved at some point in the near future.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Yes, it's pretty awful. BOS-LAX was 4x daily as long as I can remember (mid-2000s anyway). I have an upcoming HND-LAX-BOS booked long ago for late August. I was planning to stay overnight in LA, visit some friends, and take the 11am LAX-BOS. Then it got cancelled and my options were the 7am or redeye, of which I opted for the redeye. I do see 3 and 4x daily beyond Sept so maybe it will come back, but yeah, it looks like they are ceding the route to B6 with 5x daily.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Just booked that route for Sept. AA has two flights a day - one at 7:30 in the morning (1632) , and the redeye. I presume that there'll be more again after the B6 codeshares disappear when the Northeast alliance is dissolved at some point in the near future.
Why do you believe that AA will increase capacity when the codeshare goes away? There are a finite number of butts to fill the seats and transcons - especially premium transcons AA and B6 - are unique in that there are relatively few people using these flights to connect domestically or internationally, except maybe to/from Hawaii. At least that is my impression. They will do the math and decide how many seats they can sell on this route. Also they will be repurposing the A321T as soon as next year so it's not like the equipment will be sitting around idle or flying non-transcon routes just to generate revenue.

I just hope JetBlue doesn't become the only carrier with a premium BOS-LAX product, and I believe that AA is still committed to it after the A321T goes away, but who knows what the future holds.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Just went on to buy a couple of tickets on the one route I fly the most (family) in Sept and all they have is a red-eye? What happened? This was my airline. For decades. Has AA bailed on Boston? I can’t do B6 - just can’t… I can’t believe it. Is this temporary? Do I need to switch alliances? 😩😩😩
What do you have against B6? I flew them BOS-SFO a few months ago, and found the overall experience to be significantly more pleasant than AA transcons.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog
What do you have against B6? I flew them BOS-SFO a few months ago, and found the overall experience to be significantly more pleasant than AA transcons.
Everyone's mileage may vary but JetBlue's reputation isn't what it once was. Also the court said that the AA-B6 partnership was anti-competitive. Although if AA cedes to B6 then that would also be anti-competitive. And if B6 has no significant competition then who knows what will happen. At least in theory B6 could get worse not better.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Agreed. BOS-LAX is a common routing for me and I've flown both airlines plenty. I'd say the two are comparable in terms of ground experience, B6 is a better flight if you're in economy, and if you're paying for it then Mint seems like the nicer product.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
I prefer AA J and F over Mint (shoot me in the town square!), but not to the point of disavowing it or switching alliances. I found that the Mint seat lacked personal storage when compared to the AA J seat and felt very cramped.

My guess is that that 4x daily will stick and they may bring back the JFK-BOS rotation where needed to utilize the frames (that said, one of my October flight was changed to Eagle last week).

Also, I’m pretty certain that their 321T replacement press release talked about continuing lie flats on BOS-LAX. I have to imagine that will become a differentiating factor — the only airline to offer aisle access for all J seats to LA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.