Wiki Posts
Search

What is going on with Charlotte GAs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
What is going on with Charlotte GAs

Charlotte has never been a pleasant airport to fly through but my goodness, it has fallen even further.

Just today…
I witnessed a gate agent make a woman combine her purse with her personal item and when she lightly protested about how silly the situation was, the gate agent escalated, called a supervisor, falsely accused the woman of calling her a jerk, and when the woman said she did not say that, the GA loudly started saying she was now being called a liar.

Then when my flight was delayed because a pilot went AWOL, I went to another gate and the agents (of which there were 4(!) on a domestic flight) refused to add me to the standby list, over 30mins before departure. That flight ended up being delayed even further than my original flight after boarding was complete so I guess they did me a favor, lol.

Then separately I witnessed a GA trying to start a verbal fight with another GA.

Maybe this is a normal day for AA CLT these days but I have never seen such an obvious culture problem, with any company.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Maybe this is a normal day for AA CLT these days but I have never seen such an obvious culture problem, with any company.
Go to PHL or MIA. By comparison, CLT is like being fed grapes while being fanned on the beach.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Go to PHL or MIA. By comparison, CLT is like being fed grapes while being fanned on the beach.
I dunno, I live in NC (not CLT) and fly thru CLT regularly, and then also PHL to Europe and MIA to Latin Am fairly regularly. I agree with OP that the agents have been extra surly there. Almost like they transplanted PHL agents of yore down south :-)

I also had a similar situation late last year with them not putting me on a flight, when I was in paid J, as an ExP, with the door still open and seats available. Guy was terribly rude.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Charlotte is worst than a train or bus station in India... havent had issue with GA's .. yet
try to always avoid if I can.. I rather connect thru ORD/MIA/DFW.. even though it adds more time
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: CK or bust
It's the parallel runway jitters - gives people the heebie-jeebies.

On a more serious note, if flying between PHL and CLT I rather appreciate the consistent gate personnel experience instead of only getting it leaving PHL where now one can appreciate it in CLT now as well.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Back before the merger with AA, in the old US Airways forum, we often had posters to the forum say how nice it was to transfer through CLT, how friendly the employees were, and how they loved the rocking chairs...

Not to argue, but did the woman who had a purse and personal item also have another bag? I think it is part of the script that GAs read, as I've heard it here in AUS and at nearly every other AA gate.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I witnessed a gate agent make a woman combine her purse with her personal item
Isn't this SOP to begin with?
clbish, KBMIFlyer and Kevin AA like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by aztimm
Not to argue, but did the woman who had a purse and personal item also have another bag? I think it is part of the script that GAs read, as I've heard it here in AUS and at nearly every other AA gate.
Yes, there is certainly nothing wrong with the ask - those are the rules - and the woman even used the “even though I’m in first” line. What I was shocked about how the GA lied and escalated the entire situation.
N1120A and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Back before the merger with AA, in the old US Airways forum, we often had posters to the forum say how nice it was to transfer through CLT, how friendly the employees were, and how they loved the rocking chairs...
Yes, I was one of those. The old US Airways, especially pre-HP merger, was great, especially for VFFs. I can't recall ever being told "no" to any reasonable ask when the hint of something about to go wrong developed. It was also nice seeing the same faces who had all been with the company for years. Most of those people are now gone, and it seems turnover is high as I rarely see the same GA twice even at DCA that I'm in/out of almost weekly.

PIT was still the best for transcon connections, but I moved to CLT once that was de-hubbed.
Mrp Alert, BWISkyGuy and m907 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:26 am
Suspended

I’ve had wonderful GAs at airports in big cities in the Northeast despite the reputation of those areas.

In short, airport behavior may have nothing to do with an area’s general culture. If you made Queen Elizabeth II be a gate agent in CLT, the crowds, mess, etc. would probably make even her go off the deep end.
karenkay and DASRTR like this.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jun 23, 2023 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Not surprised, tbh. Never really liked CLT, even when it was pmUS. I passed through PHL a few times when it was still pmUS as well, and my experiences there were actually better than CLT.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:57 am

I'll never forget the PHL GA who insisted I wouldn't be allowed to board if I didn't "combine" my bag of Burger King food with my carry on. All my clothes smelled like the Whopper Jr. for a week.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
While technically it's the rules, it's also been my experience that seeing a GA ask someone to consolidate their purse into their personal item is an almost foolproof indicator that the GA is having a bad day and taking it out on the customers. Everyone, including the GA, knows that 5 feet into the jet way, the purse comes back out of the personal item.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I'll never forget the PHL GA who insisted I wouldn't be allowed to board if I didn't "combine" my bag of Burger King food with my carry on. All my clothes smelled like the Whopper Jr. for a week.
​​​​​​
I would have started eating the burger in front of the GA.
Alfonso XIV, N1120A, A321T and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Having travelled via CLT in the last couple of weeks, while boarding was stressful as usual, it seemed way better than how I was treated a couple of months ago at ORD.

However, I really find boarding domestic flights in the US stressful in general, on any airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.