Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Normally the AA App / tech is pretty good but what an upgrade heartbreak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

Says 1 seat available and I'm next on the list and watched a lady I befriended in spot 3 get moved up 20 minutes ago but apparently it's wrong for my availability. We're taxiing now. Feel free to merge this with what's the least substantive thing one can complain about but don't get me set up and excited with bad math 😜
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I've noticed at the gate close to departure the "seats available" number doesn't always revert to 0 once the agent runs the list. I was #1 for 1 seat not that long ago...cleared about 5m before boarding. I refreshed the app once in my seat and it showed the check mark next to my name but the "seats available" still displayed 1 seat available.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Correct, the "seats available" is a static number that doesn't update with any changes in availability.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Correct, the "seats available" is a static number that doesn't update with any changes in availability.
Perhaps I misunderstand, but I have 100% seen that "Available Seats" number change dynamically before the flight.
JJeffrey, ksucats and safari ari like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Perhaps I misunderstand, but I have 100% seen that "Available Seats" number change dynamically before the flight.
Maybe I just never watch it close enough in the hours before the flight is under gate control (typically monitor EF). But it's definitely the case (at least IME) that the available seats number doesn't decrease once AA starts clearing upgrades.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali

Says 1 seat available and I'm next on the list and watched a lady I befriended in spot 3 get moved up 20 minutes ago but apparently it's wrong for my availability. We're taxiing now. Feel free to merge this with what's the least substantive thing one can complain about but don't get me set up and excited with bad math 😜
Since you and another passenger both have a first name that begins with D, did the GA think that you were traveling together and didn’t want to be separated, and this upgraded the solo traveler?

I think it’s valid to complain about being skipped over on the upgrade list. Just what is the point of numerical order?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Since you and another passenger both have a first name that begins with D, did the GA think that you were traveling together and didn’t want to be separated, and this upgraded the solo traveler?

I think it’s valid to complain about being skipped over on the upgrade list. Just what is the point of numerical order?
I think by "move up" the OP meant #3 got moved up to First (upgraded), not that #3 moved from some other spot on the list, unless I'm not understanding the OP.

I don't think anything sinister happened here. There were three battlefield upgrades, and the OP was #4 on the list.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Normally the AA App / tech is pretty good
​​​​​​​This is sarcasm, right?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is sarcasm, right?
For me it wasn't, bag tracking, refreshing updated information, doing lots of changes online without having to call really do tend to work in many cases. Today wasn't my favorite moment (I remained in my initial seat) but overall I give them props. After you try Qantas and some other airlines you'll end up ok with AA tech lol.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think by "move up" the OP meant #3 got moved up to First (upgraded), not that #3 moved from some other spot on the list, unless I'm not understanding the OP.

I don't think anything sinister happened here. There were three battlefield upgrades, and the OP was #4 on the list.
Yes sorry no one jumped me in line. Number 3 got upgraded (she was sitting in front of me and loved my backpack etc) and when I refreshed it said I was up next and 1 seat available but nah. It had said one seat since last night but then 3 people made it so I'm guessing a couple missed their connection from Hawaii or overslept or who knows. Likely nothing sinister though does anyone else get the urge to get up and walk the plane in the front and make sure every damn seat has a butt in it... just in case?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
both have a first name that begins with D, did the GA think that you were traveling together
That's a wild leap even for the worst of AA GAs... has that ever happened?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
That's a wild leap even for the worst of AA GAs... has that ever happened?
GAs making up their own rules happens a lot.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
GAs making up their own rules happens a lot.
Last names are one thing... but "oh hey, you're Dave and you're Drew, you're on separate unlinked PNRs but I assume you're traveling together anyway because your names both start with D, so sorry Dave... no soup for you, go sit in the back with your buddy Drew"... that's really, really reaching.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
Last names are one thing... but "oh hey, you're Dave and you're Drew, you're on separate unlinked PNRs but I assume you're traveling together anyway because your names both start with D, so sorry Dave... no soup for you, go sit in the back with your buddy Drew"... that's really, really reaching.
Well, the gate agent who refused to even process me (#1 on the standby list) or another person (#2 on the standby list) 20 minutes before departure, claiming that she wanted to get the flight out on time, and lectured us for a few minutes about it, and then sat there for a few minutes, and then called final boarding, leaving the flight going out on time, with multiple empty seats, didn’t make a lot of sense either.

Nor does upgrading, say, #7 on the upgrade list before #1-6, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I particularly enjoy flying AA when I am #1 on the upgrade list and they close the door and cast off with 2 empty seats in F.
BERGBRLY, clbish and bryanb like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.