Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toyko - SFO/LAX: AA or JL?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
IMHO, the only reason this isn't an easy choice for JAL is that their planes are often quite warm by standard US norms.
donotblink likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: Lots
For a J seat, I’m going to be a contrarian here and suggest AA for the seat. Yes, service and food will be much better on JL, but it’s still just reheated airplane food. I flew a JL 777 (the version with no F) SFO-HND last winter and it was probably the most uncomfortable seat I have been in since the angle flat JL 787 they used to fly to SAN. I’m tall so that probably played into it, but the 1-2 hours of better food and booze in no way make up for the 7-8 hours of discomfort for me.
spanishflea likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
I have flown BOS-SFO in coach in order to connect to JL F SFO-HND over flying AA in any class or any possible configuration. A couple of pictures from JL F meal below. Nobody, with the exception of ANA, can come close to that.

none of this looks particularly apetizing to me.
Just based on these pics I would have starved. I am not into seafood and even less so if it is not cooked.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Just based on these pics I would have starved. I am not into seafood and even less so if it is not cooked.
I'm with you on this. Not a pioneer of the palette(Tom Waits). But the last time Mrs a and I were on NRT-ORD there were only 3 in F. Two bottles of Salon were provisioned. Sadly, the third person didn't drink...
Old May 26, 2023, 8:29 am

Ouch! Poor ole AA is getting hammered here, and on the AA forum no less.

We're flying AA FS-J to Tokyo this summer for the first time and I sure hope it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:31 am

there is a western menu available that i think most people would prefer to AA catering
Old May 26, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
JL also offers a Western meal option, usually steak with vegetables, salad, etc., and a bunch of small meal options like sandwiches and curry, so even if you eat like an American third grader, you should be fine.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
All of that food looks inedible.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I personally love seafood so I find Japanese style imperial cuisine to be awesome. That’s just a personal taste

JAL western menu is a significantly better
JAL beverage choices are significantly better
JAL midnight meal choices are significantly better
JAL on board is significantly better
JAL comfort is better

The cabin never gets warm on AA because I normally don’t like having more than one glass of bottom barrel whiskey/wine but it does get warm on JAL after trying half their drink selection
Barkinpark likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:47 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ikwia
IMHO, the only reason this isn't an easy choice for JAL is that their planes are often quite warm by standard US norms.
Easily solved by bringing a t-shirt and shorts to sleep/lounge in.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Easily solved by bringing a t-shirt and shorts to sleep/lounge in.
Or, especially if you're in F, simply ask them to turn it down a bit as I did a few weeks ago. 🙂
Seat 1F and 355F1 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
I personally love seafood so I find Japanese style imperial cuisine to be awesome. That’s just a personal taste

JAL western menu is a significantly better
JAL beverage choices are significantly better
JAL midnight meal choices are significantly better
JAL on board is significantly better
JAL comfort is better

The cabin never gets warm on AA because I normally don’t like having more than one glass of bottom barrel whiskey/wine but it does get warm on JAL after trying half their drink selection
Tho I agree with prior assessment, gotta give at least one good assessment......

AA Video entertainment selection is better.

Jiburi
Barkinpark and Drwaz99 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
I flew JL F with AA miles ORD-HND back in March. It was a sublime experience. The cabin has begun to show its age- just search for images of ANA's "The Room" or their new first class. Nevertheless, it was still very comfortable and enjoyable. The crew were lovely and attentive and the food was spectacular. And the cabin temperature? They asked me personally (along with the other westerners) whether it was too warm. They made sure to keep the First Cabin cool throughout the flight. It was a fabulous experience.

I'm flying in AA J from LAX-HND RT in July on a cheap O fare w/ already cleared SWUs. I've already set my much lower expectations. But I'm happy that I was able to go the already confirmed SWU route over another (great deal nonetheless) 80k AA miles each way.

My vote, JL 100%.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Thx for the replies thus far.
Does JL block window J seats in their Apex J cabins? It seems like they were all taken on flight dates that I am considering.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by desafino
there is a western menu available that i think most people would prefer to AA catering

Yep, a few pictures (a bit out of order) of JL F western menu here (and it was Goooood):

Barkinpark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.