Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on lounges in MIA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, AA, DL, B6
Advice on lounges in MIA

For a 1.5 hour connection in MIA which lounge? Centurion, or AA at gate D15 or AA at gate D30?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Capeflyer
For a 1.5 hour connection in MIA which lounge? Centurion, or AA at gate D15 or AA at gate D30?
I would pick whatever is closest to your departing gate.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Capeflyer
Under most circumstances I think most of us would always pick a Centurion Lounge over an Admirals Club. That goes for everywhere, not just MIA.

The exception to this would be of course if there's a long wait to get into the Centurion, or if it's especially far from your departure gate and you just want to pop into the AC to grab a coke and catch up on emails during a quick connection, etc.

MIA / Miami Int'l. Airport Gates D15 and D30 Admirals Clubs (master thread)

AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: CK or bust
Personally I don't feel like I get particularly great advice from any of the lounges in MIA but I guess if I had to go to one, it might be the Flagship at D30.
enviroian and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
In general: Flagship > Centurion > Admirals Club.

That said.....

I flew through Miami last week (got through Customs and cleared security in 30 minutes (that doesn't happen too often)). My departure gate was D16 so either the D15 AC or the CL were options. The CL was extremely crowded - and almost to capacity. The food at the CL did not seem to be up to spec as to what it has been in the past: pumpkin soup, BBQ chicken, fingerling potatoes, mixed vegetables, salad at the hot bar and the standard Mediterranean food on the other side. The line for the premium bar was acceptable in length. Lotsa people taking selfies because as we all know the CL is so.....exclusive.

My travelling companion is not a fan of BBQ chicken. And he probably would have been miffed to have to pay the $50 entrance guest fee (he got through customs slower than I did).

We instead went to the D15 AC. Meatballs and pasta, ceasar salad fixings, guac/chips station, rail drinks.

Frankly, in my view, if you have to pay for a guest at the CL, I think the improvements in the AC offerings are enough to get me to go to the AC over the CL at MIA. Now if you are a booze hound and gotta have comp Woodford or Kettel One, then by all means visit the CL.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, AA, DL, B6
Thanks for your input. I guess it will depend upon my gate.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
In my experience, the D15 AC is considerably less-chaotic than the D30 AC. That often makes it worth the hike to get down there.
keyw, DataPlumber, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
In my experience, the D15 AC is considerably less-chaotic than the D30 AC. That often makes it worth the hike to get down there.
Agree with this. D15 also has a great bartender that I like. D30 had a good bartender and good food options. I just like D15 better.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
In general: Flagship > Centurion > Admirals Club.

My travelling companion is not a fan of BBQ chicken. And he probably would have been miffed to have to pay the $50 entrance guest fee (he got through customs slower than I did). …

Frankly, in my view, if you have to pay for a guest at the CL, I think the improvements in the AC offerings are enough to get me to go to the AC over the CL at MIA. Now if you are a booze hound and gotta have comp Woodford or Kettel One, then by all means visit the CL.
Agree completely, CL offerings are not great compared to what they used to be and $50 would cover enough “premium” drinks in the AC to get me through most layovers (and if I had extra time, after $50 I suspect the well drinks would taste just fine).
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Probably too late to be useful to OP, but if I had the time (3+ hour departure/connection time) and the funds ($150) I would get a Flagship day pass (valid for that airport only!!! - not a true day pass to use at multiple FL's). Certainly not for all but I feel i get value based on food and definitely on all the bubbles I consume during that time period...conversely, since I smoke, If I have 2 hours or less, I just hang out at the outdoor Fridays. I average the cost compared to AC day pass cost and I don't have to leave my seat to light up/vape.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
I am probably in the minority here, but Centurion lounges are way over rated. They’re packed to the gills and have all the ambiance of a college cafeteria plus screaming kids.

if on that end of the course, I gladly go to the A15 and pay for top shelf drinks just to have the solitude.
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Admirals Club
Agree on the D15 AC. That is my go to at MIA, other one is usually packed.
keyw and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I am probably in the minority here, but Centurion lounges are way over rated. They’re packed to the gills and have all the ambiance of a college cafeteria plus screaming kids.

if on that end of the course, I gladly go to the A15 and pay for top shelf drinks just to have the solitude.
I like certain CLs. The DFW CL is quite nice and the CL at CLT is leaps and bounds above the overinflated C/D Admirals Club club. But the MIA club is almost always a hectic experience - crowded, unpleasant, filled with self-absorbed people who have no business being self-absorbed, and generally unpleasant.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It depends on what you value. If you want free alcohol of better quality than well or better food, then Centurion. However, the MIA (and most other) Centurion Lounges are packed to the gills, even after the change in the guest rules for AmEx Platinum members.

If you're looking for a more relaxed lounge where you can find a quiet spot to work/relax (and you're not AmEx Centurion holder, which has a small separate area in the Centurion Lounge), then the AC by D15 is the best, with the AC at D30 second best.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Another vote for the one on D15 if the CL is a mad house. If your gate is closer or on E then the little Turkish lounge can be another option.
onanisland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.