Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Vacations New Miles-Earning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:18 am

It's actually worse than this... elites earn 5 LP per dollar spent on the "package subtotal only", not the Taxes and Carrier Imposed Fees. On a $3917 vacation package [ ETA - for two travelers ], more than half ($2031) were "fees". So I earned 1886x5= 4715 LP plus the 30% bonus for being over 100k. Fare code was "O" for the outbound and P/H for the inbound. Understood the outbound wouldn't earn based on distance but was pretty sure the inbound should have earned additional LP. After two calls was told no AA Package flights earn miles/Loyalty Points. This is not clear on the booking page, and I am quite disappointed and will not use AA Vacations again.

Last edited by MIAFlyer; Sep 14, 2023 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
1886x5= 4715
That's not right.

I'm guessing there were two travelers? 4715 LP each.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's not right.

I'm guessing there were two travelers? 4715 LP each.
Apologies, you are correct, for two travelers. I will edit my post. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2023, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Apologies, you are correct, for two travelers. I will edit my post. Thanks!
Then not giving you points for carrier imposed fees is definitely shady. Carrier imposed fees are part of the fare for all intents and purposes. Taxes are a different story.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I can confirm that AAvacation is now completely useless in terms of earning miles and LPs. Here is my data point:
Package Price: $1,078.93 USD
Taxes and carrier imposed fees $1,218.90
Total Cost: $2,297.83/ 2 passengers.
Each received: 2,697 miles
My calculations: $1,078.93x5/2=2,698 miles

At the same time, under "Promotions" in my EXP account AA has no shame to advertise:
"Vacationing around the world just got better with American Airlines Vacations and the AAdvantageŽ program. The world acclaimed AAdvantageŽ program is now enhancing the American Airlines Vacations experience by featuring a new way to earn miles while on vacation for you and your entire travel party. Elevate your vacation experience by unlocking the benefits of the AAdvantageŽ program with American Airlines Vacations."
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I can confirm that AAvacation is now completely useless in terms of earning miles and LPs. Here is my data point:
Package Price: $1,078.93 USD
Taxes and carrier imposed fees $1,218.90
Total Cost: $2,297.83/ 2 passengers.
Each received: 2,697 miles
My calculations: $1,078.93x5/2=2,698 miles

At the same time, under "Promotions" in my EXP account AA has no shame to advertise:
"Vacationing around the world just got better with American Airlines Vacations and the AAdvantageŽ program. The world acclaimed AAdvantageŽ program is now enhancing the American Airlines Vacations experience by featuring a new way to earn miles while on vacation for you and your entire travel party. Elevate your vacation experience by unlocking the benefits of the AAdvantageŽ program with American Airlines Vacations."
Yeah, I mean, this is well known at this point. The only thing I don't understand is why you would book through them.

Not including carrier-imposed surcharges in the part that earns is so ridiculous that I wonder if the new terms were made up by someone who doesn't understand how international fares work.

You can just book a package through literally any other TA and you will earn more. They have made AA vacations the worst possible place to book a package if you are crediting to AA. I'm sure it's fine if you credit to a partner.
QPProletarian likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm sure it's fine if you credit to a partner.
I have an upcoming AA vacations trip where the fare code shows as I*. I would like to credit the miles to AS instead of AA. The AS chart shows an earning rate for I, but not I*. Anyone know if this makes a difference?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by senor hamachi
I have an upcoming AA vacations trip where the fare code shows as I*. I would like to credit the miles to AS instead of AA. The AS chart shows an earning rate for I, but not I*. Anyone know if this makes a difference?
This should be fine. The asterisk was a designator for Special Fare on AA back when that mattered. With regard to partners, it should work just as I.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.