Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP Best strategy to clear upgrade list when traveling with family of 6?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I'm EXP and normally travel alone for business. We're traveling with a group of 6 coming up soon. Should I book me and one other passenger in one Record Locator in hopes of my upgrade + companion upgrade? Or is it okay to book all 6 on one record locator? If all 6 are on one record locator, how does the system pick "who" gets the companion upgrade?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Only one travel companion gets to inherit your EXP status. For a group of 6, you are best off adding one of your party to your reservation and trying to in-app upgrade the other four. Keep in mind, depending on the route you are flying, this could be a total waste of money. A 2 hour flight is being priced starting at $205, whereas a transcon flight is priced starting at $242.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Only one travel companion gets to inherit your EXP status.
Correct. I'm only looking for one companion to get on the upgrade list along with me. Not the rest of the travel party :-) So my question is, if there are 6 (including me) on a record locator, would it still put me+1 on the upgrade list?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SNNtraveler
I'm EXP and normally travel alone for business. We're traveling with a group of 6 coming up soon. Should I book me and one other passenger in one Record Locator in hopes of my upgrade + companion upgrade? Or is it okay to book all 6 on one record locator? If all 6 are on one record locator, how does the system pick "who" gets the companion upgrade?
If you book everyone on the same PNR then upgrades will not be requested (not even for yourself) as the system doesn't know which companion to pick.

If you want to get on the upgrade list then the only option is to book you + 1 on one reservation, then book the other 4 on another reservation. The downside to this is that the others on the separate reservation will not receive your EXP baggage benefits, if that's of concern.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you want to get on the upgrade list then the only option is to book you + 1 on one reservation, then book the other 4 on another reservation. The downside to this is that the others on the separate reservation will not receive your EXP baggage benefits, if that's of concern.
Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. Not worried about the baggage benefits, so I'll book me+1 on a ticket and the other 4 on another ticket.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. Not worried about the baggage benefits, so I'll book me+1 on a ticket and the other 4 on another ticket.
Yep, and once you book everyone just call AA and it's no problem to get the other 4 seated next to you in MCE/Preferred seats for no charge.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You can still call though and get your 4 other companions assigned to Main Cabin Extra seating.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

JJeffrey and wrp96 thanks for that tip. I'll still try to get them MCE by calling.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Yep, and once you book everyone just call AA and it's no problem to get the other 4 seated next to you in MCE/Preferred seats for no charge.
"No problem" is a bit strong - in my experience, it often takes several HUCAs
Uzzar, D3Kingg and FindAWay like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I just use the app chat, easier to go about my business when doing this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
I just use the app chat, easier to go about my business when doing this.
Ahh! I didn't know that app chat was a thing on the AApp. Thank you!
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
In 20+ years of doing this I've never had any problem getting no status companions seated next to me in MCE/Preferred seats. Never once had to HUCA for this type of request.
FlyFreakquently likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:00 pm

Too many people on reservation to get free upgrade

I recently became Executive Platinum and since then normally get upgraded on domestic flights when there is availability (when flying alone and when traveling with my wife). I'm traveling in a few days with a party of six, and was surpirsed I'd not got an upgrade as I see there is availability. I called and found out it is because my party is too big. The agent told me if I separated myself and my wife from the reservation we would get the upgrade. But then I'd lose the perks for the other 4 members of our group (free checked bags, seat choice etc).

So is splitting the reservation the only way to get the upgrade? If I don't split it and there is still availability when I check in can the gate agent upgrade us due to my status?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by acedj1
I recently became Executive Platinum and since then normally get upgraded on domestic flights when there is availability (when flying alone and when traveling with my wife). I'm traveling in a few days with a party of six, and was surpirsed I'd not got an upgrade as I see there is availability. I called and found out it is because my party is too big. The agent told me if I separated myself and my wife from the reservation we would get the upgrade. But then I'd lose the perks for the other 4 members of our group (free checked bags, seat choice etc).

So is splitting the reservation the only way to get the upgrade? If I don't split it and there is still availability when I check in can the gate agent upgrade us due to my status?
My understanding is yes, splitting is the only way. You could wait until you get to the gate to do it (and the gate agent will have to split the record, and at that point everyone has checked their bags for free), but if its a round trip you would lose the additional perks on the return.

If you have pre-selected seats, splitting should not affect that unless there is an equipment change.

Have you considered whether you could check some of your companion's bags as your own using your and your split record companion's baggage benefits?
guv1976 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
In 20+ years of doing this I've never had any problem getting no status companions seated next to me in MCE/Preferred seats. Never once had to HUCA for this type of request.
you can also book all six in one record, pick seats, then call and have the two passengers split off into a different record. You can also wait until upgrade window to split in case flight times change and you want to change flights or other weirdness happens.
aviators99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.