Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA won't let me do same-day change because of BA connection — any workaround?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

This is a tiny issue in the grand scheme of things, I have a comfortable 2h 20 min connection from a domestic UK flight to JFK via LHR which normally would be just perfect. But this will be my very last time in T3 as ExPlat after several years, and I would have loved to make the most of it and say goodbye to the lounges. I'm on the morning flight LHR-JFK tomorrow which is basically fully booked, whilst there's plenty of room (including C space for my upgrade and my original booking class) on the first afternoon flight. It's less than 24 hours before travel, so a same-day change ought to have been available from LHR to JFK — but computer says no, both AA.com and the ExPlat phone line, because of the BA connection (via AA codeshare). The Mexican call center can only change my reservation by reticketing me for a few hundred bucks, even thought I suspect that AA may be looking for volunteers to give up their seats tomorrow. I'm basically resigned to missing out on a farewell tour of the lounges which is very much a first world problem, but I thought I'd ask if there's any workaround I haven't thought of. I suppose I could ask the AA staff if they're looking for volunteers when I get to T3, but I'll have to check bags, and there's obviously no AA staff (or even actual BA staff) at the outstation where I will be checking in.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Ask when you get to the lounge at T3 tomorrow?
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Ask when you get to the lounge at T3 tomorrow?
I'd rather be spending those precious minutes in the CX lounge, but yes, that sounds like my best option. Not too optimistic that they'd go through the trouble of finding and rerouting my luggage though. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I'd rather be spending those precious minutes in the CX lounge, but yes, that sounds like my best option. Not too optimistic that they'd go through the trouble of finding and rerouting my luggage though. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Skip the AA document check at security, and ask when you stop by there for a quick minute to do the security check. It should be faster in the lounge than at security or the gate.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:59 pm

can be because those segments get married in the system and cannot be modified independently of each other. airport should be able to override it, but not regular call center....
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vitrysk_kille
can be because those segments get married in the system and cannot be modified independently of each other. airport should be able to override it, but not regular call center....
Plausible, and would quite possibly have solved the issue if I'd been starting out of a US airport — unfortunately, I don't think the Swissport agents contracted BA will be of much help.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I don't think the Swissport agents contracted BA will be of much help.
would agree. even regular agent not trained in those things would just say "no" directly I'd say.
on the other hand - AA app can surprisingly work for this at some point. or not. one never know
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vitrysk_kille
would agree. even regular agent not trained in those things would just say "no" directly I'd say.
on the other hand - AA app can surprisingly work for this at some point. or not. one never know
Haha! Unfortunately, at the moment the AA app can't get past the COVID vaccination check stage.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
One question - will you have checked baggage? I ask as that sometimes can cause a change of flight on a transatlantic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.