Search

Weather Concern

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Weather Concern

Hey All,

Been a while since I've used FlyerTalk but looking for some advice. My family (4 of us) are booked tomorrow night on a direct flight MSN to PHX. With the weather coming in, it's looking like the worst of the storm is going to be right during our evening departure. Odds are flight is cancelled or severely delayed. AA notified us that we can change our flight free of charge but that would mean giving up our Wednesday flight if it does go out. Weather could end up being ok. I'd ideally like to book the Thursday flight as a back up and here are my two options / questions.

1. Book a standard ticket for Thursday. Will I still have the normal 24 hours to cancel or are there restrictions to this with the flight being close to departure? The flight leaves at 5:46 so if I booked after 5:46 would I essentially have up until the flight to cancel for a full refund?

2. Refundable Ticket - For only $50 more I can book a refundable ticket. Is this refunded to my credit card and not a credit? I don't want a credit but I'd book this if option 1 isn't an option.

3. If I use miles to book, I assume I can cancel anytime before the flight and have a full refund on the miles? I'm AA EP if that matters (haven't kept up on perks these days)

Thanks in advance and good luck to all navigating the winter weather!
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Hey All,

Been a while since I've used FlyerTalk but looking for some advice. My family (4 of us) are booked tomorrow night on a direct flight MSN to PHX. With the weather coming in, it's looking like the worst of the storm is going to be right during our evening departure. Odds are flight is cancelled or severely delayed. AA notified us that we can change our flight free of charge but that would mean giving up our Wednesday flight if it does go out. Weather could end up being ok. I'd ideally like to book the Thursday flight as a back up and here are my two options / questions.

1. Book a standard ticket for Thursday. Will I still have the normal 24 hours to cancel or are there restrictions to this with the flight being close to departure? The flight leaves at 5:46 so if I booked after 5:46 would I essentially have up until the flight to cancel for a full refund?

2. Refundable Ticket - For only $50 more I can book a refundable ticket. Is this refunded to my credit card and not a credit? I don't want a credit but I'd book this if option 1 isn't an option.

3. If I use miles to book, I assume I can cancel anytime before the flight and have a full refund on the miles? I'm AA EP if that matters (haven't kept up on perks these days)

Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Hey All,

1. You have to book the flight more than 2-days in advance of departure for the 24 hour refundable rule to take place. So if you book it now at say 1PM, that's > than 48 hours for a 5:46PM departure so to me would lead me to believe it's refundable tomorrow within 24 hours. I would probably call to confirm as I'm not sure if they go by calendar date for that 2-day rule or is it based on departure time.

2. Make sure it's a fully refundable ticket by reading the fare rules or calling AA to confirm. Sometimes AA labels flights as "flexible" online for a refund but it may be less a $200 fee etc, otherwise, yes a refundable ticket will go back to your credit card.

3. You can cancel a mileage ticket anytime before flight departure for a full refund back to your account plus any taxes/fees to your credit card.
WiscAZ and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:52 pm

Hey All,

Others here would know more about this than I do, but I'm not sure you can keep your current reservation and book another one (under same names and frequent flier numbers) without this causing an issue and one of them being canceled. Again others might know, and/or checking with AA might be in order.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by yakel
Others here would know more about this than I do, but I'm not sure you can keep your current reservation and book another one (under same names and frequent flier numbers) without this causing an issue and one of them being canceled. Again others might know, and/or checking with AA might be in order.
This will not be a problem as long as you fully ticket the new reservation(s) immediately and don't put them on hold.
yakel likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by yakel
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This will not be a problem as long as you fully ticket the new reservation(s) immediately and don't put them on hold.
Also, they typically only cancel if it's an impossible reservation, not a flight on a different day.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Weather has a much bigger impact on hubs than it does spokes. Assuming your plane is coming from Phoenix or even Dallas (which is likely), I think the odds are pretty good you will make it out. You may be delayed a little if there is freezing precipitation and there is a need to deice the plane.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
Weather has a much bigger impact on hubs than it does spokes. Assuming your plane is coming from Phoenix or even Dallas (which is likely), I think the odds are pretty good you will make it out. You may be delayed a little if there is freezing precipitation and there is a need to deice the plane.
My thought exactly. Currently showing the plane is coming from Dallas so we should know in advance how things are looking. After reading everything I just booked miles for the Thursday flight to be on the safe side.
KBMIFlyer and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My thought exactly. Currently showing the plane is coming from Dallas so we should know in advance how things are looking. After reading everything I just booked miles for the Thursday flight to be on the safe side.
Yea, a backup award ticket is exactly what I would've done as well.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
If you can get out earlier on Wednesday, that is your best bet...Thursday will likely be worse with overnight freezing rain predicted....in Grand Rapids, MI, which is probably 4 to 8 hours after MSN weather, we may be slated to get at least .25 inches of ice up to .75 and 2 to 3 inches of sleet through 4am Thursday...temperatures may help a quicker recovery but....YMMV.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I would have got out of Dodge today if possible.
wrp96 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Great to hear. If i do need to cancel the aware tickets can I just do that online and the miles will automatically go back or will I need to call?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
If you can get out earlier on Wednesday, that is your best bet...Thursday will likely be worse with overnight freezing rain predicted....in Grand Rapids, MI, which is probably 4 to 8 hours after MSN weather, we may be slated to get at least .25 inches of ice up to .75 and 2 to 3 inches of sleet through 4am Thursday...temperatures may help a quicker recovery but....YMMV.
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I would have got out of Dodge today if possible.
We tried both options but there are 4 of us and seems everyone had the exact same idea.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great to hear. If i do need to cancel the aware tickets can I just do that online and the miles will automatically go back or will I need to call?
Yes, you can just cancel online and the miles should automatically go back.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I see your flight is not cancelled - just delayed until 10:00 AM tomorrow! (at this point.) Sad, considering it appears your plane made it in from DFW at 4:44 PM. Doubt your backup award tkts will help much. Hoping for the best for you. 16 hour "delays" - yeah....
BERGBRLY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.