Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Exp status benefits on Avios booking on Iberia in J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Would I be able to get the EXP benefits (Flagship dining, Qantas First lounge at LAX, etc.) if I added my AA FF number to an existing Avios booking on Iberia?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by jediwho
Would I be able to get the EXP benefits (Flagship dining, Qantas First lounge at LAX, etc.) if I added my AA FF number to an existing Avios booking on Iberia?
You generally would be able to get those benefits (and that's often true even if you don't add your FFN). However, it often depends on the lounge dragon.
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: Lots
Not sure if you meant Flagship Lounge but Flagship Dining is not an EXP benefit. Regardless, FFD is still closed at LAX so wouldn’t really matter. Also, just as a heads up IB does not participate in Precheck at LAX for some reason (or at least didn’t about a year ago).
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
You generally would be able to get those benefits (and that's often true even if you don't add your FFN). However, it often depends on the lounge dragon.
Thanks! Get access to Qantas First for flying J on Iberia? I thought one had to be flying First or have the OW Emerald status to get access to that lounge.

Originally Posted by IggySD
Not sure if you meant Flagship Lounge but Flagship Dining is not an EXP benefit. Regardless, FFD is still closed at LAX so wouldn’t really matter. Also, just as a heads up IB does not participate in Precheck at LAX for some reason (or at least didn’t about a year ago).
Thank you! I just checked and looks like Iberia is not on the list of airlines participating in precheck/GE. That is a bummer given that I fly back into ORD and have a tight connection for LAX. Yes, meant Flagship Lounge and not FFD. So, Qantas First lounge at TBIT or AA Flagship Lounge in T4.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 15, 2023 at 3:55 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thanks! Get access to Qantas First for flying J on Iberia? I thought one had to be flying First or have the OW Emerald status to get access to that lounge.
American Airlines Executive Platinum status is oneworld Emerald. So yes, an AA Executive Platinum flying on any IB flight out of LAX in any class of service will have access to the QF First lounge pre-departure.

I just checked and looks like Iberia is not on the list of airlines participating in precheck/GE. That is a bummer given that I fly back into ORD and have a tight connection for LAX.
If you're connecting in LAX from an AA flight to an IB flight, you do not need to reclear security. If you're connecting in LAX from an IB flight to an AA flight, AA do participate in PreCheck so you should be able to add your KTN to the AA PNR (via AA's website or an AA agent) and get PreCheck on your onward AA BP. Though I've not tried this specifically for IB-marketed AA-operated codeshares, it should theoretically be possible as far as I know.
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Thank you! I just checked and looks like Iberia is not on the list of airlines participating in precheck/GE. That is a bummer given that I fly back into ORD and have a tight connection for LAX. Yes, meant Flagship Lounge and not FFD. So, Qantas First lounge at TBIT or AA Flagship Lounge in T4.
If you are flying IB into ORD and then AA onto LAX and stopping there, then I believe you won't have access to Qantas F lounge as you need to be departing on a oneworld flight. And if your Precheck concerns are about an Intrntl - domestic connection in ORD, then you'll be using an AA boarding pass at that point (maybe you'll need to get it reprinted - or use a mobile one - to have PreCheck show on it).

But I think it is hard for anyone to give you definitive advice without knowing exactly where you are travelling from and to.
JJeffrey and jediwho like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:30 am

In addition to what other folks said, if you have GE you can use it regardless of what airline you fly. From what I can tell you itinerary is LAX-MAD-ORD-LAX with the first two segments on IB and the last on AA? If so then you won’t have Pre for the outbound but should be able to visit Qantas First or FL at LAX. On the return you can use GE in ORD, should be able to use Pre (there’s always a chance it won’t show up on your boarding pass but that seems to happen very infrequently these days) and can use the FL during your layover.
​​​​​​​
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you used your IB+ details when booking your Avios reward, that is notoriously sticky. You will probably NOT be able to remove your IB+ number in order to add your AA details.

But if you have your AA card handy or on your phone, then you should have no problems accessing an F lounge at LAX. Because you are already in the J cabin, there are no other major benefits (opups, etc.) to having OWE on your boarding pass.
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IggySD
In addition to what other folks said, if you have GE you can use it regardless of what airline you fly. From what I can tell you itinerary is LAX-MAD-ORD-LAX with the first two segments on IB and the last on AA? If so then you won’t have Pre for the outbound but should be able to visit Qantas First or FL at LAX. On the return you can use GE in ORD, should be able to use Pre (there’s always a chance it won’t show up on your boarding pass but that seems to happen very infrequently these days) and can use the FL during your layover.
Thanks! Yes, that's my itinerary. LAX to MAD on IB and then MAD to ORD on IB and ORD to LAX on AA (booked separately). I will have GE card with me.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you used your IB+ details when booking your Avios reward, that is notoriously sticky. You will probably NOT be able to remove your IB+ number in order to add your AA details.

But if you have your AA card handy or on your phone, then you should have no problems accessing an F lounge at LAX. Because you are already in the J cabin, there are no other major benefits (opups, etc.) to having OWE on your boarding pass.
Thanks! Yep, I have been trying to remove my IB number and add AA since yesterday -- tried calling them and also went back and forth on Twitter with no luck. They have my AA number as a backup. I know one CK was was complaining about the stickiness and that even the AA CK desk could not help him get credit for his miles and flight on Iberia. I will try and remember to take my AA EXP card with me.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:16 am

Thanks! Yes, that's my itinerary. LAX to MAD on IB and then MAD to ORD on IB and ORD to LAX on AA (booked separately). I will have GE card with me.
If MAD-ORD and ORD-LAX are separate tickets make sure to keep your MAD-ORD boarding pass to show to get access to the FL in ORD. If you just show them ORD-LAX they’ll send you away. Having separate itineraries isn’t a problem for access, you just need to make sure they are aware of both of them.
Antarius and jediwho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.