SFO to FRA via LHR

Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,402
SFO to FRA/CGN

I am redeeming award tickets from SJC/SFO to Germany.
I could take a local train from FRA to CGN.
But am I correct AA will redemption from SFO to FRA will cost the same amount if I try to redeem for SFO to CGN?

Any other tips?

Incidentally, planning to stay there for 4 weeks. Are there some local train tickets I should buy so that I can se Europe?

Last edited by sciconf; Jan 30, 2023 at 5:46 pm
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:15 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 29,158
Originally Posted by sciconf
I am redeeming award tickets from SJC/SFO to Germany.
I could take a local train from FRA to CGN.
But am I correct AA will redemption from SFO to FRA will cost the same amount if I try to redeem for SFO to CGN?
Neither AA nor any of its AAdvantage partners serves CGN.
Antarius likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:57 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: RDU/BKK
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by sciconf
Incidentally, planning to stay there for 4 weeks. Are there some local train tickets I should buy so that I can se Europe?
If you're looking to mostly stay in Germany, check out the German rail passes (for tourists, long distance express trains included) and if you're not traveling until April when the Deutschlandticket (finally) comes into effect, then this is a more affordable option for a whole month of rail travel in Germany for only 49 euros, but intercity trains are excluded.

Like the previous reply said, no OW partners serve CGN, but if you want to fly direct into secondary European cities, check to see if you can conjure up an itinerary with BA/AY/IB (unfortunately with transits all out of the way for travel to Central Europe, unlike ST and *A options.)
prathetkrungthep is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:17 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,402
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
If you're looking to mostly stay in Germany, check out the German rail passes (for tourists, long distance express trains included) and if you're not traveling until April when the Deutschlandticket (finally) comes into effect, then this is a more affordable option for a whole month of rail travel in Germany for only 49 euros, but intercity trains are excluded.

Like the previous reply said, no OW partners serve CGN, but if you want to fly direct into secondary European cities, check to see if you can conjure up an itinerary with BA/AY/IB (unfortunately with transits all out of the way for travel to Central Europe, unlike ST and *A options.)
My base is Germany. But I also wish to go to other parts of Europe, France, Swiss etc.
sciconf is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Posts: 1,160
There are entire Flyertalk forums devoted to European Rail Travel and Germany. You will likely find more relevant advice to your second question there.
aztimm and AirborneLocksmith like this.
njvandy is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Europe
Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by sciconf
I am redeeming award tickets from SJC/SFO to Germany.
I could take a local train from FRA to CGN.
But am I correct AA will redemption from SFO to FRA will cost the same amount if I try to redeem for SFO to CGN?

Any other tips?

Incidentally, planning to stay there for 4 weeks. Are there some local train tickets I should buy so that I can se Europe?
Fly to FRA and take the ICE to Cologne HBF.

Local train tickets are just that; local to a specific country. Europe is a continent of 44 independent nations, and you cant possibly see all of them - or even a fraction of them all - in 4 weeks. If youre 27 or younger, Interrail is a relatively cheap way to get around most of the continent, but with Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizzair and other LCCs banging about in great numbers and to almost every nook and cranny, theyre hard to beat on both price and time.

What you should buy depends very much on what you want to see and what your priorities are. You could take a flight to Mallorca (the unofficial 17th bundesland of Germany during the summer) and stay on the beach for a month, or you could take the French riviera in style if youve got the money for it. If youre more into cities, 3 of the greatest in the world are on the continent, two of which are absolute musts (Rome and Paris). If its solitude and nature youre after, and dont mind a bit of drizzle, you cant go much wrong exploring the fjords of Norway. If its food youre after, well, theres southern France and the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. Or, if youre feeling very modern, the Copenhagen area of Denmark. Fancy a spot of mountaineering and carrying a black Amex? Off to Switzerland you go. Want to know what it feels like driving 250 km/h legally? Stay in Germany and book an autobahn missile with Sixt or Enterprise.

But back to the original question: The best way to see Europe is flying from place to place on the dirt cheap LCCs. Trains are actually pretty expensive.
sciconf likes this.
Sheikh Yerbooty is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:37 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Sub Carolina
Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Europe is a continent of 44 independent nations, and you cant possibly see all of them - or even a fraction of them all - in 4 weeks.
You can.

-------
The most countries visited in 24 hours by scheduled transport is 13, and was achieved by Umit Sabanci and Stephen James Finch (both UK) from 23 to 24 May 2017.
Umit and Stephen visited Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium and France within 24 hours.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...uled-transport
AirborneLocksmith is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,725
Just an aside, if you are looking to fly SFO, United and Lufthansa are the best options. Awards are easy to come by as well.
returnoftheyeti is online now  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:57 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,596
The Deutschland ticket is of no use to travel between cities. It includes regional trains but a regional train only goes from the city to it's surrounding suburbs (the train from CDG to Paris is a regional train for example).

​​​​​​Nowadays you can buy in advance point to point train tickets at a significant discount.

The rail pass is hundreds of dollars and it is not a real pass as you just don't hop a train with the pass and go .it requires reservations and good luck getting on the train you specifically want. It's kind of a scam if you ask me.
platbrownguy and sciconf like this.
carlosdca is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:50 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,402
SFO to FRA via LHR

I booked SFO to FRA via LHR. Return from FRA via North Carolina to SFO for this summer.
Now I am thinking of breaking at LHR and spending a few nights in London. At LHR, there is only 2hrs between AA and BA flights - unsure if terminal change needed. More importantly we wanted to see London too.

We will only have one carry one each, at this time. And have priority boarding on AA. It is an award booking.

Wondering how it might play out? What should I say if I had to call AA?
sciconf is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:56 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,032
There is no free stopover on AA awards like BA. It will need 2 awards FRA-LHR and LHR-SFO.
Antarius is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:06 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 3,399
Originally Posted by Antarius
There is no free stopover on AA awards like BA. It will need 2 awards FRA-LHR and LHR-SFO.
May be better to just drop the FRA-LHR and buy a ticket.
Antarius likes this.
SF1K is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:14 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 29,158
Originally Posted by SF1K
May be better to just drop the FRA-LHR and buy a ticket.
The OP is not flying FRA-LHR. He is flying SFO-XXX-LHR-FRA on the outbound, and -- apparently -- FRA-CLT-SFO on the return.

He might or might not be allowed to drop the LHR-FRA segment on his outbound award; could depend on married-segment/divorced-segment issues. He could cancel the outbound award, and rebook SFO-XXX-LHR, but that might now cost more miles than his original booking.

It's not clear whether the outbound and return are both on a single ticket, or if they were booked as separate tickets.
Antarius likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by SF1K
May be better to just drop the FRA-LHR and buy a ticket.
This.
Case closed...LOL
Antarius likes this.
GaryZ is online now  
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:23 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,032
Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP is not flying FRA-LHR. He is flying SFO-XXX-LHR-FRA on the outbound, and -- apparently -- FRA-CLT-SFO on the return.

He might or might not be allowed to drop the LHR-FRA segment on his outbound award; could depend on married-segment/divorced-segment issues. He could cancel the outbound award, and rebook SFO-XXX-LHR, but that might now cost more miles than his original booking.

It's not clear whether the outbound and return are both on a single ticket, or if they were booked as separate tickets.
This. Also, if it is a web special, then no changes are allowed at all. Cancel and book again (if available).

Originally Posted by SF1K
May be better to just drop the FRA-LHR and buy a ticket.
If doable, definitely the way to go. OP can also fly into LCY, LGW or LTN, depending on where they plan on spending time in London. (STN and SEN are options too, but further)
Antarius is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.