Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Split reservation — lower status companion receives upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS

I’m PPro and Mr. Kawliga is Gold. I went into the AA chat tonight to split our reservation, since it’s past T-48 and EF showed J5 (and apparently won’t drop below J4 at the moment). He cleared almost immediately while I’m still waitlisted.

Is this normal considering that they kept him on our existing record locator and moved me to a new one? The odds that I’ll eventually get upgraded are high, it just seems really bizarre.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In the process of separating the bookings, his may well have been concluded 1st and there was avaiability for 1 person to upgrade, so it was processed
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In the process of separating the bookings, his may well have been concluded 1st and there was avaiability for 1 person to upgrade, so it was processed
In my experience, the status member is always ranked first.

Quite odd.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Odd things can happen when they split a PNR. See this thread and post #18 in particular for an example:

EQD from Barclay CC not counting toward upgrade priority?

Obviously the old EQD system has been replaced by LPs, and I don't know if under the new system companions inherit your rolling LPs for upgrade prioritization, however, if they do you may have have been in similar circumstances. If they leave your companion on the original PNR and put you into the new PNR, and your companion inherited your rolling LPs, and you were both on the same fare basis, you would be left with time of upgrade request as the tiebreaker. With your companion on the older PNR they would win that tiebreaker and get the upgrade before you. It's not how it's supposed to happen, but it does happen...
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Odd things can happen when they split a PNR. See this thread and post #18 in particular for an example:

Obviously the old EQD system has been replaced by LPs, and I don't know if under the new system companions inherit your rolling LPs for upgrade prioritization, however, if they do you may have have been in similar circumstances. If they leave your companion on the original PNR and put you into the new PNR, and your companion inherited your rolling LPs, and you were both on the same fare basis, you would be left with time of upgrade request as the tiebreaker. With your companion on the older PNR they would win that tiebreaker and get the upgrade before you. It's not how it's supposed to happen, but it does happen...
Makes sense. I was surprised because as soon as I was taken off the old PNR, switching to another MCE seat would have cost extra for him. It does seem odd to revert back to Gold benefits with a split but keep the upgrade priority.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

Oooh.. interesting. Makes sense (technically, not policy wise)
Old Jan 29, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
This happened to me not too long ago, split reservation, my companion (no status), upgraded at least a day or two before the flight. I ended up stuck in Y at #1 on the UG list, I called AA twice leading up to the flight and no one could answer why half the reservation was upgraded and the lower one at that and kept saying “I was still on the list”.

Similar situation where it was J4 with T-48, well into the EXP window and somehow, missed out.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

My upgrade did clear today at T-25… now to hope that the DFW winter weather doesn’t mess all of this up even more.
KBMIFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.