Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are the benefits of Platinum Pro? Is it worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the benefits of Platinum Pro? Is it worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Im BOS based and was upgraded on every flight I took last year except two where I was 1 or 2 on the list. This included to flagship business (BOS-LAX,SFO-JFK) at the window so PPro has been really good to me. I'll only qualify for Plat for next year so back to OWS unfortunately.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:54 am

If you don't mind me asking, for the 2 night LAS booking, what was the base miles earning prior to the bonuses?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
Check the thread, but on Book AA Hotels the best deal is usually an option to "Pay more to earn More" (+3k miles per night). Combined with the option to boost your miles (+3k miles per night more). So that 3000 mile offer is potentially available for 9000 miles a night if it was through BAAH. I booked a 2 night Las Vegas stay earning 14k LPs for ~$380 combining these options.

All base miles you earn through AA Hotels or Rocket miles also earn the LPs you normally get for earning miles. So a booking that earns 20k miles will also get you 20k LPs.
you're talking about on the checkout page that says boost your miles with the green icon yeah? And was your 14k / $380: what was the base mile earning that shows up on the results page?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by noiretnoir
you're talking about on the checkout page that says boost your miles with the green icon yeah? And was your 14k / $380: what was the base mile earning that shows up on the results page?
The result page had a room for $29/night with 1k mile/night offer. Which showed in my results as 2k miles for a 2 night stay.
noiretnoir likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The jump up to Oneworld Emerald status can be important, if you travel internationally. Plus the bonus miles / LPs next year.
Does Oneworld Emerald get a paid J international pax anything that a Oneworld Sapphire would not get on the same paid J ticket?

I'm actually thinking of crediting to a foreign Oneworld carrier in future years because of FL access for domestic flights but obviously that's something that AA's own elites don't get.

Originally Posted by brenc3
As mentioned by others, Emerald status when flying international gets you much nicer lounges at certain airports...
On paid business class tickets? Or just when flying coach?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Herb687
Does Oneworld Emerald get a paid J international pax anything that a Oneworld Sapphire would not get on the same paid J ticket?

I'm actually thinking of crediting to a foreign Oneworld carrier in future years because of FL access for domestic flights but obviously that's something that AA's own elites don't get.
Yes, F lounge access if you're traveling through an airport that has one. IMO this is one of OneWorld's best assets, elite-based access to a higher tier of lounge. Some carriers allow more flexibility with seat selection as Emerald, e.g. BA allows advanced exit row selection only for Emeralds.

Plt Pro is a relatively achievable tier if going for Emerald status. Earning Sapphire via another OneWorld carrier does get you FL access in the US but if you're mostly flying AA you'll miss out on some other AA-specific benefits.
HaleiwaFlyer and Cali Rob like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Herb687
On paid business class tickets? Or just when flying coach?
Many OneWorld carriers maintain both business and first class lounges at major airports (JFK, LHR, NRT, SYD, many others). The F lounge is normally only accessible to F passengers and Emerald status flyers, regardless of cabin. Paid business class pax with no status would not be able to visit these lounges. These lounges are a big step up from their business class counterparts, in quiet, amenities, and quality of food, and IMO make Emerald status worth it if you fly through these airports at least a few times a year.
HaleiwaFlyer and Cali Rob like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by brenc3
Many OneWorld carriers maintain both business and first class lounges at major airports (JFK, LHR, NRT, SYD, many others). The F lounge is normally only accessible to F passengers and Emerald status flyers, regardless of cabin. Paid business class pax with no status would not be able to visit these lounges. These lounges are a big step up from their business class counterparts, in quiet, amenities, and quality of food, and IMO make Emerald status worth it if you fly through these airports at least a few times a year.
Good to know. The main reason I'd want to jump ship to a non-AA OW carrier would be Flagship Lounge access for domestic flights. International F lounges rather than J would be nice to have but realistically I would be taking advantage of that benefit less than once a year on average.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:55 pm

Because of Hyatt globalist status , I got 4 month of play pro of AA, but really have no clue what’s real benefit out of it , and not planning to try it either , not tempting at all
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:03 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
OWE F lounges aren't that good.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:41 pm

Same day change for free is what’s worth getting PPRO. Saves me money and time.

F lounges flying international, sure but the service as an Emerald during IRROPs is worth it for me.
Cali Rob likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:28 pm

got 4 months free status of plat pro , match from Hyatt globalist, haven’t used it yet,

If you have Amex plat , this basically is no better than lounge perks from Amex plat,

upgrade chance is down to zero according to hearandsay
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by BrianV
Out of Austin, as PPro, I almost never got upgrades and was routinely 10+ on the list. As I quail’s for EXP, my spend/LP was high as a PPro. The last upgrade I got was DEN-AUS in mid-April on a Sunday. That means 9 months of flying without a single upgrade.

To me, the compelling benefits of PPro are:

- OWE (Emerald). If you travel overseas, the Emerald lounges are notably better.

- Higher LP multiplier will make requal’ing for status next year easier. It’s 20% higher, not insignificant.
Originally Posted by BrianV
Spot on, I literally averaged 10 as PPro flying on elite dense segments. AUS, DFW, DEN, LAX, SNA, SFO, SJC, ORD, RTP, DTW being my most frequented airports.
Originally Posted by kq747
Im BOS based and was upgraded on every flight I took last year except two where I was 1 or 2 on the list. This included to flagship business (BOS-LAX,SFO-JFK) at the window so PPro has been really good to me. I'll only qualify for Plat for next year so back to OWS unfortunately.
These replies illustrate how posters need to provide context when asking about upgrade chances or explaining theirs. Flyers that don’t fly elite heavy segments or routes may see a significant bump in upgrade changes with Platinum Pro over Platinum, making it it worth it to pursue. Why don’t we identify routes, times of day, and airports that are not elite heavy and post them so readers can see for themselves. This is not necessarily an AA only comment - I get annoyed when people say status is useless in Atlanta, but they are posting as ATL based elites, or that status is useless on United, and they are SFO based elites. Let’s see more data
jerseytom likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
These replies illustrate how posters need to provide context when asking about upgrade chances or explaining theirs. Flyers that don’t fly elite heavy segments or routes may see a significant bump in upgrade changes with Platinum Pro over Platinum, making it it worth it to pursue. Why don’t we identify routes, times of day, and airports that are not elite heavy and post them so readers can see for themselves. This is not necessarily an AA only comment - I get annoyed when people say status is useless in Atlanta, but they are posting as ATL based elites, or that status is useless on United, and they are SFO based elites. Let’s see more data
I agree. For me flights to LAX, DFW, DEN, AUS, ORD, PHX and PHL are mostly upgraded, based upon my tracking I am at 89% for the past 12 months as PPRO. That being said I usually fly early Tuesday or Wednesday mornings, late Wednesday nights or early Saturday mornings.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:36 am

This is my first year at Platinum Pro, and I’ve seen a large jump in upgrade % for the routes I fly, which include flights through DCA, CLT, and DFW. I’d estimate probably 85-90%, vs 50-75% as Platinum.

My favorite perk of Plat Pro is the same day flight change. I use this frequently because I often have a flexible travel schedule, and it’s a tool to book a later, cheaper flight and end up on the one I want anyway but not badly enough to pay $150 more to get home at 8pm vs midnight.
slpybear, ZenFlyer and Cali Rob like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.