Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How much of an advantage is Executive Platinum at O'Hare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Deciding how much to spend to hit AAdvantage Executive Platinum. How much more likely to get upgrades on flights out of O'Hare w/ Executive Platinum vs Platinum Pro? Mainly take flights from Chicago->MCO.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:30 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
It's difficult to generalize. I'm an ORD based flyer, and personally I wouldn't spend much of anything to move to EXP if I was only flying domestic.

Are you flying ORD-MCO on Mondays and returning Thursdays? That will be a harder upgrade than say Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
And how many trips are you flying per year? If it's weekly, it's one thing, if it's a couple of times per month, that's another.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Yeah couple of times a month. Orlando Fri/Sat->Tues typically
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:51 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Just my opinion, but I think you should have a halfway decent upgrade percentage as PlatPro with that schedule. Especially the Tuesday flights. There will be exceptions, like Spring Break and big conferences, but I wouldn't spend money to make EXP for that flying pattern.

YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
SAaturday - ORD to MCO should clear for an EXP
Fridays - good luck
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Originally Posted by pointsdigest
Deciding how much to spend to hit AAdvantage Executive Platinum. How much more likely to get upgrades on flights out of O'Hare w/ Executive Platinum vs Platinum Pro? Mainly take flights from Chicago->MCO.
We're ORD-based, and using the new LP system we got my wife to EXP as of early Oct. I hit PlatPro a couple months later. We often fly together but recently have been on overlapping reservations (same flights, different PNRs) a few times.

She has been getting upgraded back and forth to ORD between 50 and 75 percent of the time. I only get upgraded on my own about 15 percent of the time (small sample since I just hit PlatPro recently). I have missed by one or two spots on the upgrade list a lot on ORD flights. She and a companion got upgraded at the 100-hour window on ORD-LAX and PHX-ORD already this month, I came close but did not clear either time. I would think MCO is probably similar.

The only other data point I can share is that I have been regularly receiving offers to upgrade (usually for $205 one way even when the fare difference is $500-600) when I have a separate reservation. As an EXP, she does not get those offers, even when she's on the same flight at the same fare as me. So if you're willing to buy up you might want to stay at PlatPro, if you're looking only for free upgrades I would push my way into EXP if you're at all close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.