Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA: " Rule is your food must be on floor not in overhead bin. Move it."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA: " Rule is your food must be on floor not in overhead bin. Move it."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
If a FA were to request someone totally out of line ("Punch your seatmate" or "Let me see you laptop contents"), I would ask another FA to confirm the request or ask the Captain. This is, in my opinion, ridiculous speculation. An FA who wanted to stay employed wouldn't make such requests.
A GA asked my mom for her cats boarding pass. And refused to see sense and let her board until a supervisor had to be called.

​​​​​​In a perfect world, you're right -theyre ridiculous speculation. In reality, not as crazy as you think. Finally, it's literally impossible to get fired as an FA from the major US airlines. You have impunity to make up anything you please.

Regarding the OP - yes, the food matters in terms of whether the FA was objectively right on the outcome. However, even if it was soup in a plastic bag, there are better ways to handle it than inventing rules that don't exist.
corky, LINDEGR, beltway and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Jan 25, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Had no idea this would be so "interactive." Am on vacation ~ trying to have fun +

I had no idea this process would be so "interactive" when I posted. But, I am on vacation ~ trying to have fun, get over jet lag, etc.

I asked about the alleged "No Food Rule" (re bins) in that precise language because that's how it was presented. "No Food is allowed in overhead bins."

It wasn't, "You can't have your plastic container of leftover steak and potatoes from last night's restaurant in the bin." Or "You cannot put your serving of baked chicken and carrots up there." Or "You need to move that ham sandwich to the floor underseat."

As far as what happened before or after, I have no idea; I never saw her before or after that encounter.

~ ~ I'll try to go in order to answer individual questions when I have a chance.
corky, wrp96 and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:46 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Ant13
I had no idea this process would be so "interactive" when I posted. But, I am on vacation ~ trying to have fun, get over jet lag, etc.

I asked about the alleged "No Food Rule" (re bins) in that precise language because that's how it was presented. "No Food is allowed in overhead bins."

It wasn't, "You can't have your plastic container of leftover steak and potatoes from last night's restaurant in the bin." Or "You cannot put your serving of baked chicken and carrots up there." Or "You need to move that ham sandwich to the floor underseat."

As far as what happened before or after, I have no idea; I never saw her before or after that encounter.

~ ~ I'll try to go in order to answer individual questions when I have a chance.
SERIOUSLY???? PLEASE just tell us what kind of food it was!!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I guess we’re never going to find out what the food was, so my sympathy is with the FA!
Tanic, tismfu, VSLover and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Dear God. This is approaching performance art levels of obfuscation.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Yeah. I was trying to defend the OP, but the fact that he/she won't say what the food is, despite being asked directly, makes me think there is a bit more than meets the eye. Not to go bad OMNI, but this is how a politician would dodge questions under scrutiny.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:38 pm

I have learned to answer flight attendant's with the most general anwers possible. What is in the bag? "My stuff."
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Yeah. I was trying to defend the OP, but the fact that he/she won't say what the food is, despite being asked directly, makes me think there is a bit more than meets the eye. Not to go bad OMNI, but this is how a politician would dodge questions under scrutiny.
I am imagining a plastic bag tied with a knot that is full of kimchi. While I really like kimchi, it can really smell awful even if you think you have it in an air tight container.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Ant13

you say you are on vacation and have no time to give details but however your own post above has more words than the phrase "tuna sandwich".
So you are really not coming back with more details and answer the simple question. what was it?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by wrp96
Admit it OP. It was a durian!
Originally Posted by northinsouth
It was a durian in the overhead, wasn't it?

The first time I went to Singapore and saw all the subway instructions with pictures of durian with a circle/cross over it, I laughed. Then I smelled an open one in a hawker stall. Fun times.
Believe it or not, I had an AA flight LGA-DFW delayed last year due to durian. Initially, the crew thought it was a fuel leak and had a mechanic come onboard to check. Eventually they found the lady who was eating durian out of a zippy bag. The FA took the bag from her and take it off the plane - and of course the smell wafted through the cabin as she walked toward the exit.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
1. You must follow crew member instructions. Even if you think the rule is bogus. Even if they can't point to the exact rule in the Terms and Conditions while boarding the aircraft and dealing with all the other passengers. If the FA tells you to get your food out of the overhead bin, then you get your food out of the overhead bin.

2. The OP is evasive in defining exactly what kind of food was involved. The FA was there, saw the food in containers, smelled the food, heard the food, etc. The FA made a call for the safety and comfort of the passengers. I am inclined to support the FA.
You need to follow crew member instructions only if it's safety related or a FAR violation. For example, the FA can't just tell you to go down and do 10 pushups. The only reason this might be remotely safety related is if there's piping hot soup inside OP's canvas bag, and it can spill on people accidentally.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
I will guess that the mystery food is flaming baked Alaska, Bombe Alaska, or "Flame on the iceberg," packed in a fire-resistant canvas bag.

Fun facts: In 1969, the recently invented microwave oven enabled the Hungarian gastrophysicist Nicholas Kurti to produce a reverse-baked Alaska (also called a "Frozen Florida")—a frozen shell of meringue filled with hot liquor.

The Bombe Alaska variation calls for dark rum splashed over the baked Alaska. The whole dessert is flambéed while being served.

Flame on the iceberg is a popular dessert in Hong Kong, similar to baked Alaska. The dessert is an ice cream ball in the middle of a sponge cake, with cream on the top. Whisky and syrup are poured over the top, and the ball is set alight before serving. This delicacy is commonly available in many Western restaurants and some Cha chaan teng in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You need to follow crew member instructions only if it's safety related or a FAR violation. For example, the FA can't just tell you to go down and do 10 pushups. The only reason this might be remotely safety related is if there's piping hot soup inside OP's canvas bag, and it can spill on people accidentally.
Your push ups example, pardon me, is a little bit ridiculous and unrealistic.
No FA is going to ask you to do push ups.

Also, IMO, whether the FA is right or wrong, at the moment, it is better to just do as they say.
It is really a risky and confrontational attitude (and perhaps childish) to start arguing with the FA "that's not an FAR violation!!! so I won't do as you say!!!"
The consequences could be as bad as deplaning.

Not debating whether is right or wrong what FA tells you but TO ME, for practical reasons and avoid embarrassing consequences, I think I am better off just doing as they say and deal with it later with AA CS if worth the trouble.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Your push ups example, pardon me, is a little bit ridiculous and unrealistic.
No FA is going to ask you to do push ups.
As I mentioned a few posts above, my mom was denied boarding by a GA who insisted on seeing her cat's boarding pass.

Never underestimate the capacity of stupid
MIAFlyer, corky, carlosdca and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Antarius
As I mentioned a few posts above, my mom was denied boarding by a GA who insisted on seeing her cat's boarding pass.

Never underestimate the capacity of stupid
To be fair, America West and I think US Airways issued boarding passes for in-cabin pets. I actually didn't even realize that AA didn't until I saw your post and looked at that page on the AA website. It was a way for gate agents and cabin staff to easily and quickly verify that the passenger had indeed paid for their pet.

I'd be willing to bet that this gate agent was a former US Airways staff and probably doesn't see many in-cabin pets.
fwfdan and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:57 pm

I find another problem that seems to pop up more and more these days is that employees (not necessarily just FA's) may be told something is a rule but thats it--they are either not told, don't care, or don't remember why they were told that the rule exists. Not necessarily where food goes for carry-ons per se as I think this thread has established that is not a rule.

But for example, I asked the other day when I was chit chatting with a FA in the front galley half way through our flight--I asked her about the rule they mentioned in their pre-board that those of us in first class on my 787-9 flight could not have anything underneath the seat for takeoff even though IMO its more secure tucked in way under there than a coach under seat bag. She had no idea why the rule existed and agreed with me that it would seem a bag tucked way up under the first class seat seems secure.

She knew the rule but had no idea why she was enforcing it. At least that is a rule as opposed to the food in overhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.