Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

OMG, I have to fly economy! (YVR-LHR, BA nonstop or AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I' not happy to fly long haul economy but it is what it is and it's not the end of the world. I'm AA PLT and wondering if it makes much difference if I fly on AA or BA metal.

I'm leaning towards AA since I will be able to select preferred seating and will have a chance to upgrade on my domestic leg. BA has the better schedule but I'm not fussed about that. I can fly on either a 787 or 777.

Is there any reason to go with BA over AA in my case?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Thousands of people fly long-haul economy every day, you'll be fine.

You don't tell us the route, so you are leaving some key details out. (For instance there are some differences if you are flying US-->LHR or LHR---> US, primarily around the available lounges as well as the delay/cancellation protections under UK law)

But AA will be more comfortable than BA...because you have access to MCE, which BA does not have.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118

You don't tell us the route, so you are leaving some key details out. (For instance there are some differences if you are fly US-->LHR or LHR---> US, primarily around the available lounges as well as the delay/cancellation protections under UK law)

But AA will be more comfortable than BA...because you have access to MCE, which BA does not have.
I know I'll be fine, and it is said with some jest.

I'm flying YVR>LHR>YVR. Can go direct on BA or through SEA, LAX, or DFW on AA (AS to SEA) or also on BA.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:52 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
On that route, I would suggest taking the direct flight on BA. You'll save a lot of time and hassle not having to have a connection and go through US customs.

Your oneworld Sapphire status will get you lounge access and free seat selection on BA. It's worth checking whether any good seats are available on the flight you want. It's not a published benefit, but BA has also been known to block the seat next to oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members, see the Theoretical Seating thread on the BA forum.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by theshaun
I know I'll be fine, and it is said with some jest.

I'm flying YVR>LHR>YVR. Can go direct on BA or through SEA, LAX, or DFW on AA (AS to SEA) or also on BA.
I think you are in bad place whichever way you go. Flying with AA via any of those three airports, you are just prolonging the misery, as even DFW is 10+hours from LHR, so you are not getting any closer. One potential benefit of BA is that sometimes they give free upgrades to PE to elites, including AA elites, so there is a small chance. If you can get a good MCE seat on AA though, like a window bulkhead, it may be slightly better.
Or, if you can get the two seaters on row 20 on the AA 77W, it will be almost like flying PE and may be worth the trek to SEA, but perhaps not to LAX or DFW.
boss315 and Santander like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
On that route, I would suggest taking the direct flight on BA. You'll save a lot of time and hassle not having to have a connection and go through US customs.
I think that it depends on how tall the OP is. Standard seat pitch on AA and BA long-haul Economy is 31 or 32 inches. Seat pitch on AA long-haul MCE is 35 or 36 inches I would gladly connect and go through U.S. Customs for that extra room.
becks1, VFR, rt23456p and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I think that it depends on how tall the OP is. Standard seat pitch on AA and BA long-haul Economy is 31 or 32 inches. Seat pitch on AA long-haul MCE is 35 or 36 inches I would gladly connect and go through U.S. Customs for that extra room.
Not worried about customs as I have GE. I'm also a towering 5'7 on my best of days.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, both DFW and LAX are *way* out of the way - both add about +35% to the distance flown. (In fact, YVR is actually slightly closer to LHR than DFW is)
I would have maybe suggested ORD as an alternative (still >20% longer) to get on AA metal with MCE, but seems like AA doesn't even fly YVR-ORD.
Just take the nonstop, and maybe there's a reasonable upgrade offer to Premium Economy.
bgasser and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, both DFW and LAX are *way* out of the way - both add about +35% to the distance flown. (In fact, YVR is actually slightly closer to LHR than DFW is)
I would have maybe suggested ORD as an alternative (still >20% longer) to get on AA metal with MCE, but seems like AA doesn't even fly YVR-ORD.
Just take the nonstop, and maybe there's a reasonable upgrade offer to Premium Economy.
I believe YVR>ORD was dropped during COVID. May also have been seasonal...
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:38 pm

The answer is…fly the direct, non-stop. Never connect in the states for a west coast —> Europe flight. And really don’t go out of the way to connect.
ashill, boss315, bse118 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree - it seems a no brainer to take the non stop option.
ashill likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Is there any reason to go with BA over AA in my case?
Do you care about Loyalty Points earnings, and if so, have you compared them? AA will be based on fare and BA based on distance.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I'm also a towering 5'7 on my best of days.
Sir, please put your heels on the floor and answer the question.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Thousands of people get circumcised every day too, but you won't find me lining up for that either!
arf04, chris63, apeortdz and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’d do AA for the MCE seat and a chance to stretch. Under no circumstances should you ever fly Economy on a BA787 unless you have a less than 26 inch waist to go alongside your statuesque 5’7’’ height.
Radiation Station likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.