Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

codeshare shuffle - which airline is ultimately responsible for baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Booked a LAX-DPS flight via AA website. Charge was through American Airlines.

First leg was on AA metal. LAX-JFK. Remainer of trip is via Qatar.

We had a bag that did not make to any of our flights. AA sent it to CLT for some and now two days later, it has been sent back to our home airport and is just sitting there.

Trying to apply for compensation. QR is staying they never received a bag from AA, they have never touched the bag so they should not be held responsible.

AA is staying, QR are the final carrier and to bother them for compensation (but how/why would they if AA never handed over anything and they have the bag in their possession)

After 24 hours of attempting to get help with thiss, no one is helping and it's driving us crazy. Anyone have any advice on what to do, who to reach out to or a better contact?!

I am an EXP flyer. These were business class tickets at $8000+ . The customer support / service has been DREADFUL.

EXP help desk tells me to call QR. QR says they can't help and I need to speak to AA at least until they get the bag in their possession.

My question is - who is ultimately responsible?

Appreciate any guidance !
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
QR is responsible, assuming this was all on one PNR. IATA rules states that it's always the last carrier who handles missing baggage claims. While it may not be "QR's fault", it doesn't matter as far as the passenger is concerned.

I assume the baggage was checked through to DPS? And that it wasn't short checked such that you'd have to pick it up somewhere along the way?

The logic for this is sound. In some cases, the other carriers on an itinerary may not even operate into the airport that is your final destination, making filing a bag claim impossible.

See https://www.iata.org/contentassets/e...-interline.pdf.
seawolf and sky_throwaway like this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Dec 29, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
QR is responsible, assuming this was all on one PNR. IATA rules states that it's always the last carrier who handles missing baggage claims. While it may not be "QR's fault", it doesn't matter as far as the passenger is concerned.

I assume the baggage was checked through to DPS? And that it wasn't short checked such that you'd have to pick it up somewhere along the way?

The logic for this is sound. In some cases, the other carriers on an itinerary may not even operate into the airport that is your final destination, making filing a bag claim impossible.

See https://www.iata.org/contentassets/e...-interline.pdf.
+1.

In addition, the OP should check to see whether the credit card used to purchase the ticket offers delayed-baggage insurance.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:58 pm

Did you file a missing bag claim? If so ask QR to get you your bag and do not enter into any further discussions. QR should liaise with AA to get you your bag without your involvement.

You should be able to ask for compensation for basic needs. Buy the basics and keep receipts.

Do note getting QR to do much is like pulling teeth so you might need to resign yourself to getting what you need and using travel insurance.

AA may throw you some miles if you complain - but that's it.
sky_throwaway likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:14 pm

The carrier at the end of baggage receipt is responsible for getting your bag back to you. The fact that is a codeshare is meaningless unless you're trying to change the reservation itself.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you thank you! This thread has managed to answer almost every question.

both AA and QR phone / online and airport staff has been very unhelpful as they just point the finger at each other

We have an airtag in bag. It never made it to any of our legs. It was sent from LAX to CLT. And then last night it was sent back to LAX where it is currently sitting in terminal 4 (we are in Bali, Indonesia)

It's been 3 days now (!) and it has yet to get anywhere close to a QR terminal. We were able to finally file a missing baggage report with QR (who were insisting the bag made it on board to DPS while in Doha)

We have a premium Generali travel insurance.They said they will only cover clothes and basic toiletries until bags are delivered.

We have items in there that we need to work while here. Just went out to repurchase those. We used an Amex platinum card to pay for the trip but they say they only provide coverage for loss of items. Not delays

Will try and ask for compensation from AA

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Dec 29, 2022 at 8:28 pm
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's a bit mindboggling that both AA and QR staff were confused by this. As far as I know, this has been the industry norm for decades -- it's nothing new. I can sort of give phone agents a pass (to some extent) as they don't deal with baggage, but every airport agent at both carriers should know this basic process.
seawolf, SK, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Part of the problem / our frustration is that we instantly knew our bag was delivered elsewhere. With a 34 hr. trip to Doha - it meant that we could not physically file a missing luggage report until 2 days later. So we are already days behind .

With the bags still at our home airport and neither airline knowing where they are and a new year holiday aderd to the mix, it's starting to feel like it will be a week until we *maybe* see our bags?

QR provides a theoretically helpful WhatsApp chat for baggage issues and just a few mins ago they started with "Have you tried to track your baggage via American Airlines as they are the last operator of your flight?"

I think my lesson learned is I'll never take a codeshare flight with American again and just fly direct with the international carrier

😵😵😵
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
How long has it been since you filed the missing bag claim? Just let the process go.

I think you are mixing a lot of things here. QR is responsible as the customer facing carrier to resolve the missing bag claim, but you used the word compensation that may confuse them as they think you blamed them for the lost luggage. I am very sure the ground handling company that QR used in DPS is familiar with the process and there is no confusion there.

Right now your case is in the system and the airlines that is in possession of your bags (AA) is the one to follow through. It is possible that at the peak of holiday season the AA baggage office at LAX has other higher priority tasks. Since you have AA bag tags, you can also track them in AA website.

In terms of compensation, look at the Montreal Convention guides for lost baggage.

Welcome to Indonesia.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:56 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Not always -- in 2016, I flew to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Was supposed to fly the last leg on Cathay Dragon, buwas rebooked on Korean Air.

Was never ticketed on Korean Air and when we landed there was no Cathay Dragon representative since they only 1 flight a day/ 3 days per week.

Thanks to the tenatious KE representative, we eventually did our bags back 3-4 days late.

Greg
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by GregL
Not always -- in 2016, I flew to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Was supposed to fly the last leg on Cathay Dragon, buwas rebooked on Korean Air.

Was never ticketed on Korean Air and when we landed there was no Cathay Dragon representative since they only 1 flight a day/ 3 days per week.

Thanks to the tenatious KE representative, we eventually did our bags back 3-4 days late.
KE was responsible since that was the last carrier you flew on, which is why the KE representative handled the request.

If you flew on KE, you presumably had a ticket, even if Cathy Dragon transferred its ticket/coupon to KE due to IRROPS.
seawolf and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andryas
. I am very sure the ground handling company that QR used in DPS is familiar with the process and there is no confusion there.

Right now your case is in the system and the airlines that is in possession of your bags (AA) is the one to follow through. It is possible that at the peak of holiday season the AA baggage office at LAX has other higher priority tasks.
Yes. This is exactly our frustration.

We have received conflicting information from both American Airlines and Qatar Airways about the whereabouts of our luggage. American Airlines has told us that our bag is still in CLT, while Qatar Airways has informed us every step of the way that our bag was on our flight or just about to arrive. QR lost and found staff last told us today our bag would arrive to DPS six hours ago.

The only accurate information we have received about the location of our luggage throughout our trip has been from the Apple AirTag, which shows that as of five minutes ago, our bag was with American Airlines at Terminal 4 in LAX.

It is quite clear that there is a significant disconnect between the two airlines, no one seems interested in solving our issue and this lack of communication and coordination is causing significant problems for us. We are now on day 5 of our trip and our luggage has yet to make any progress towards its destination. This is unacceptable, as we have important items in our luggage that are necessary for our jobs. We thought a built in buffer of one week would be enough for worst outcome planning.

We are deeply concerned that, if our luggage is not delivered by day 7, we may have to turn around and go home in order to be able to work..

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Dec 30, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Holy ..... Our bag has left the airport and is being driven on a highway in Los Angeles.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Holy ..... Our bag has left the airport and is being driven on a highway in Los Angeles.
Might be time to call the LAPD or the LA County Sheriff.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:50 pm

What are you missing for works? There might be options we could suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.