Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 4X Miles Promo with Citi AAdvantage Card - question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 4X Miles Promo with Citi AAdvantage Card - question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post AA 4X Miles Promo with Citi AAdvantage Card - question

I assume many of you know about the ongoing promotion of 4X miles for eligible AA purchases using the Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card... this promo runs from 9/28/22 to 12/31/22 and is valid for select "eligible" AA spend - and of course AA airfares purchased are considered valid. Also (as far as I understand from the details Ive been reading), the 4X miles will all count towards LP - so then 4x miles earned will equate to 4x LPs.... (???).

I would request the AA experts kindly confrm if my above interpretation of 4x Miles under this promo being valid as LP is correct, or not. If these bonus 4x miles do not count as LP, I would not be interested in pursuing this.

Second question... I was thinking of anticipating AA spend for the 2023 trips that I have planned.... so then, would I be OK with booking reservations (and issuing and paying for them) before the 12/31 deadline, so as to earn the 4X miles (and LPs), and then just cancel and get trip/flight credit (sorry, I never remember which credit is due in which case) and use that to rebook future travel...? Needless to say, my tickets that I will be purchasing are for flights that begin (and end) AFTER the deadline will have passed (ie. I will be issuing tickets for flights int January 2023).

I guess my above second questions is a 2x1 question, because while I understand that the valid AA spend must be done before the Promo deadline, I have not seen any requirements as to having to actually FLY the issued tickets before the deadline set for this promotion.

I hope Ive been able to make myself clear - and would appreciate any insight/advice the AA board elders would care to share.

Kind regards & thanks in advance for everybody's help with this.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
From the offer T&Cs:

1 Loyalty Point accrues for every eligible AAdvantage® mile earned on purchases, excluding balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler's checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions). Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary credit cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember's AAdvantage® account in 8 — 10 weeks.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by js1993
From the offer T&Cs:
OK, so my premise as posted above is flawed, so if I spend $1000 on AA airfares I will get 4x miles but the LP accrual will only be 1x.....

Grrrrrr
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

The T&C talk about eligible miles.... is this the same as "base" miles.....?

Perhaps someone that spent on this promo early on and already has had the bonus posted to their AA account can share their experiences....?

Thanks !!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
If people were getting 4x LP on credit card spending, it would have been all over this forum several months ago. $50,000 in CC spending would get people Executive Platinum status.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:29 pm

for AA purchases, you only earn 1 LP toward status, the other 3 LPs are considered bonus and do not apply toward status. With AA credit cards, you get 1 LP for status and 1 LP as a bonus (not counted toward status). The Executive CC just raises the bonus from 1 LP to 3 LPs.

You will earn the LPs at time of ticket purchase. If you cancel the ticket, you still keep the LPs since you only get a flight credit and not cash back. It is a risky strategy since you would have only 1 year to use the flight credit from time of purchase and can not combine flight credits.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The T&C talk about eligible miles.... is this the same as "base" miles.....?

Perhaps someone that spent on this promo early on and already has had the bonus posted to their AA account can share their experiences....?

Thanks !!
The bonus posted a week ago on my account, do you have a specific question I can help you with?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by js1993
If people were getting 4x LP on credit card spending, it would have been all over this forum several months ago. $50,000 in CC spending would get people Executive Platinum status.
Most of the promos like this that I've seen are pretty limited in terms of the amount of spend that the promo actually applies to. I got a Q4 promo and it was limited to 2500 bonus miles, so just $625 in eligible spend. No danger of anyone qualifying for EXP on these promos even if the bonus miles were counted. Signup bonuses would be a much more significant consideration.

In any case, I agree the bonus miles don't count towards status. Here's what I see with my bonus miles:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.