Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do you get credit back for canceling flight midway through the day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Here is the situation:

My brother has an open jaw ticket

First leg that has already been flown is ORD-MIA-STI

Second leg that is being flown today is STI-MIA-ORD-DSM (the itinerary has a sub-12 hour overnight layover in Chicago tonight and the last leg ORD-DSM is tomorrow)

My brother is flying with checked bag. Due to family issues, he MIGHT want to end his trip in ORD and not fly the ORD-DSM leg tomorrow. So in STI he asked for them to only check his bag through to ORD (and not all the way to DSM), as he wanted it overnight where he is staying with family. STI refused to short-check his bag to ORD with a sub-12 hour layover.

When he collects his bag after customs in Miami, he will try to get the counter agent to retag his bag only for ORD. Chances of that happening?

Here is the question. If they won't short check his bag.....

1) if while he is in Miami, he cancels the rest of his itinerary (the MIA-ORD-DSM portion) will he receive a credit back? If he did cancel that portion he would just buy a MIA-ORD ticket.

2) Or, if while in Miami he asks AA to cancel the last ORD-DSM segment of his trip what will happen. Does he get a credit? Do the reprice it based on today's fare. If he does cancel ORD-DSM, can he still fly the MIA-ORD leg and have his bag tagged to ORD.

3) Or, if as soon as his flight was about to takeoff MIA-ORD, he cancels his flights, what will happen to his bag when he gets to ORD, and has canceled the ORD-DSM leg?

Thanks for any insight to all!
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:10 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Was the open jaw all on one single ticket reservation? If so, by asking to end the trip in ORD they may reprice it as a such and issue residual trip credit for the fare difference. Problem is, they will reprice it based on today's fare so it may actually end up costing him more than originally paid. The issue seems to be the bag, which I'm guessing is too big to carry on. Otherwise, he could just get off at ORD and just not fly the ORD-DSM leg.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, anytime you cancel an itinerary mid way through like this the only way you get any kind of credit is is through repricing the flown segments at today's prices.

So if his ORD-STI-DSM ticket was $500 and he drops the ORD-DSM segment from the end, the itinerary would be repriced to ORD-STI-ORD at today's prices, if this was less than the $500 then there would be residual value left on the ticket (not sure if they would actually issue a trip credit), but if this was more than $500 then he would have to pay the difference to drop that segment.

Side note, but it's ridiculous they wouldn't check his bag just to ORD given the overnight connection. Definitely ask again in MIA, I've never had a problem with this the few times I've needed to.

And for #3, if he cancels the rest of his itinerary while in the air from MIA-ORD then I'd say it's 50/50 on whether the bag gets offloaded at ORD or continues to DSM. I'm not sure how quickly or often the baggage system talks to the ticketing system in a case like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can he fit his stuff into a carryon?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

They very Njce woman at counter in Miami you see after collecting an international bag, before putting it bag
on conveyir for its next flight, was able to go in system check somethjng about overnight option. And then put on new bag tag that only goes to ord.

i guess if he does want to not continue trip to Sam tomorrow, he can cancel anytime after takeoff. Or j guess still safer to wait to cancel until bag offloaded in ord according to tag?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
Was the open jaw all on one single ticket reservation? If so, by asking to end the trip in ORD they may reprice it as a such and issue residual trip credit for the fare difference. Problem is, they will reprice it based on today's fare so it may actually end up costing him more than originally paid. The issue seems to be the bag, which I'm guessing is too big to carry on. Otherwise, he could just get off at ORD and just not fly the ORD-DSM leg.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, anytime you cancel an itinerary mid way through like this the only way you get any kind of credit is is through repricing the flown segments at today's prices.

So if his ORD-STI-DSM ticket was $500 and he drops the ORD-DSM segment from the end, the itinerary would be repriced to ORD-STI-ORD at today's prices, if this was less than the $500 then there would be residual value left on the ticket (not sure if they would actually issue a trip credit), but if this was more than $500 then he would have to pay the difference to drop that segment.

Side note, but it's ridiculous they wouldn't check his bag just to ORD given the overnight connection. Definitely ask again in MIA, I've never had a problem with this the few times I've needed to.

And for #3, if he cancels the rest of his itinerary while in the air from MIA-ORD then I'd say it's 50/50 on whether the bag gets offloaded at ORD or continues to DSM. I'm not sure how quickly or often the baggage system talks to the ticketing system in a case like this.
Thank you for all answers and info on repricing. Sounds like a bad option unless you know todays arent bad.

is there anyway to know the value of each of your segments on a ticket?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
They very Njce woman at counter in Miami you see after collecting an international bag, before putting it bag
on conveyir for its next flight, was able to go in system check somethjng about overnight option. And then put on new bag tag that only goes to ord.

i guess if he does want to not continue trip to Sam tomorrow, he can cancel anytime after takeoff. Or j guess still safer to wait to cancel until bag offloaded in ord according to tag?
I'm not sure if his trip is completed or not, but my answer would have been that he do absolutely nothing. Get off in ORD and collect the bag since it was tagged to go there. Don't cancel, don't call. They will just mark him as a no show and give his seat to any standbys that want it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.