Masks back on for flights to Brazil?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Masks back on for flights to Brazil?

For anyone who's flown to Brazil in the past several weeks, has AA been enforcing the mask rule for flights from USA-Brazil? From what I've read, Brazil reinstituted this requirement in late November for incoming flights and in airports. But nowhere else in the country.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Also, are they enforcing the one carry-on per pax rule in business to Brazil?
Just wondering since I want to get away with taking two 21" with me.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I am glad you asked this as I didn't know this was a thing. There is a chance I may need to go to Brazil in the upcoming months. It will be my first time ever to South America. If mask requirements are in place, I really don't want to go. That is a long ... flight. I never want to put one of those things on again.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Originally Posted by PHL
For anyone who's flown to Brazil in the past several weeks, has AA been enforcing the mask rule for flights from USA-Brazil? From what I've read, Brazil reinstituted this requirement in late November for incoming flights and in airports. But nowhere else in the country.
I flew AA DFW/GRU on 12/08. Mask use was not enforced during flight, but on deplaning at GRU, it was required that everyone put mask on upon leaving the a/c to enter the terminal. Usage mandatory in the terminal.
355F1 and ksucats like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
This was my experience as well the other day, albeit on Delta. Very few were wearing it in passport control, but they do enforce it in customs, and if you get on an intra Brasil flight, wearing one is mandatory.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
At Boston Logan on Monday 12/12/22, the flight to GRU (I don't recall the airline) was departing nearby and everyone was being made to put on masks. Surprised several of us who saw and heard it. I imagine Brazilian carriers are stricter about it than US ones.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
At Boston Logan on Monday 12/12/22, the flight to GRU (I don't recall the airline) was departing nearby and everyone was being made to put on masks. Surprised several of us who saw and heard it. I imagine Brazilian carriers are stricter about it than US ones.
I believe the only BOS-GRU flight available is LATAM a few times a week.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Definitely not enforced on the plane by AA, only when you get off the plane, and they will hand them out if you don't have one but it delayed disembarkation. They let the people who had masks deplane first. (this was Dec 15th). Seems it caught a lot of people off guard, I know AA didn't email me about it in advance, but I knew already since it was on LoyaltyLobby and also got an email from GOL since I have several tickets with them. Usage inside the airport was spotty but absolutely required to get on the plane with GOL. Almost no one had one on inside the GOL lounge (Int GRU Terminal 2) and staff didn't care.

Also definitely no enforcement of 1 carry on. A number of pax in business (including myself) had a roller plus 'personal item'. Mine was definitely pushing the envelope as a personal item but no one cared as is typical for AA.

Going back into Brazil tomorrow so will see how the general public is, but suspect it's only used when required. I've been in Asuncion for a few days, here there's no requirement at all, some hospitality and shop staff use them, but general public, I've only seen a few older folks with them on.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:26 am

Per AA .com. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

Contact Reservations for help reinstating miles on a trip that:
  • Has already started
  • Involves travel on partner airlines
  • Was booked outside the U.S. or on an international version of aa.com
  • Has been changed since the ticket was originally issued
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Bumping this up to see if AA is still not enforcing the mask mandate for flights into Brazil.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I flew MIA-GRU on AA on 12/26. No enforcement of the mask mandate. Brazilian Immigration/Customs made a half-hearted attempt to make people put masks on which everyone promptly took off after exiting Customs. On my return flight (on United) there again was a half-hearted attempt to make people wear masks going through security and Immigration and again, everyone removed the masks when exiting Immigration. Not counting employees, perhaps 10-15% of the people walking around the airport were wearing masks. During my stay in Sao Paulo, the only people wearing masks were employees in restaurants, and even then only about 50%. Very few people in Sao Paulo were masked.
ksucats and PHL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.