Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice and input on how to work Business Extra and AA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice and input on how to work Business Extra and AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Question Advice and input on how to work Business Extra and AA Miles

I hope this is the correct area for asking for advice. So, I need some input on options for the use of AA Business Extra Point that the bulk of which will expire at the end of the month.

I have around 7500 business extra points. It seems that PlanAhead Awards are non-existent these days for almost any flight pair to Asia - I could use these points to book a discounted ticket to NRT and then redeem for upgrade certs via business extra or I could use my 170k and points to find flight pairs to NRT. Or I could do something completely different - Europe or Australia/New Zealand.

Does anyone have thoughts on making the most/best use of my points?

Thanks,

e
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:19 am

Gifting elite status to a friend
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Cute idea, but Nah!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:21 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Redeem for upgrade codes before end of year (actually I think they extended the expiration date to end of Feb 2023). They will have a 12 month expiration date. If you can't use the upgrades, you can redeposit them and effectively extend the expiration date of the points.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but how does one redeem business points for "upgrade codes"? And what are "Upgrade codes"?
thank you for your answers.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:14 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by tomj888
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but how does one redeem business points for "upgrade codes"? And what are "Upgrade codes"?
thank you for your answers.
https://www.businessextra.com/redeem/upgrade-awards.htm
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:38 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The BXP3 awards are effectively like SWUs, or even points + cash upgrades. 3100 points each way. I've found these, and the domestic BXP 1 (650 points) awards the most useful. I've never found a PlanAAhead award that I could use BXP points for.

tomj888 They're not so much codes as they are e-certificates with redemption codes (e.g. BXP3) to use for various AA benefits. You need to join BusinessExtra with a company name (which you presumably own or manage travel for) and generate $5000 minimum annual ticket purchases spread across 3 members of company. Then you earn points based on spend that can be used for redemptions. These are completely separate from AAdvantage award and loyalty point earnings for flights and other mechanisms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.