Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No hotel provided for 17 hour overnight delay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP

I'm confused about AA's policy for providing a hotel for an overnight delay. I was scheduled to fly DCA-DFW last Friday on a paid First ticket, as an EXP. Had 2 flights canceled because of the fuel farm fire at DFW, but was rebooked on the last flight in the evening, scheduled for 6:59 pm (in a middle seat in coach, but was happy to be getting home). Boarded and sat on the plane for 2 hours while they tried to fix a mechanical problem with "a light". At about 9:00 pm they had everyone get off and said we would be changing to a plane getting in at the gate next door at 9:30, with a departure time of 10:00.

New plane came in, people got off, but no word from the gate agents. Around 10:30 everyone got the text that the flight was delayed until 10:00 am the next day, which was changed to 11:30 am a few minutes later - so almost a 17 hour delay. I assume the crew timed out, but the GA never gave a reason. GA said to go to customer service counter for hotels.

To their credit, there were about 5 agents at the customer service center so they were processing pax at a reasonably fast pace. When I got to the agent, he asked where I originated that day. I said I originated in DC, but did not live there - was going home to DFW. He said their policy was to only provide a hotel to passengers who were connecting, because they were "stranded" en route. That didn't make any sense to me as we were all stranded en route. I can understand not providing a hotel to someone who lives locally, but I felt that I should have been given a hotel, especially on a paid F ticket. He actually suggested that "it wasn't that long and I could try to find a quiet place to stay in the terminal".

I wasn't wasting any more time as it was past 11 pm, so I booked a room at the Crystal City Westin and paid for it myself. I will submit a claim to Customer Service for my expenses (hotel and extra day of parking at DFW), and will hope for some miles. Does anyone know what their policy is (if they have one) in situations like this, when an overnight delay results from a mechanical issue?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA is notoriously terrible at this. Even when they do provide hotels, they're largely horrible. You may have some luck getting it reimbursed by way of customer service gesture, AA can be reasonable there.

I've given up on even bothering with AA hotel vouchers now. Just book whatever I want and submit it to the credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Plat) to reimburse.
​​​​​​
Markie, wrp96, M60_to_LGA and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Antarius
I've given up on even bothering with AA hotel vouchers now. Just book whatever I want and submit it to the credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Plat) to reimburse.
​​​​​​
I’ve never done this. What’s the AMEX Plat policy?
yabadoo likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:50 pm

Airlines should provide hotels to all passengers in that situation, regardless. I live city center, and the airport is a 30 minute-2 hour taxi for about 25 USD away or 90 minutes on the train.

If I schlepped luggage to the airport, and my flight was rescheduled to the next morning, I wouldn’t want to go all the way home to return the next morning.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: none
Submit the hotel claim to the airline. They should pay it.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Did your itinerary originate in DCA? Or is this the return leg of a previous DFW-DCA leg on the same itinerary?
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I had a one-way SNA-JFK booking last month that was delayed overnight 21+ hrs. Initially they weren't going to give me a hotel room in SNA since they said I was originating there and needed to provide proof that I didn't actually live there. Eventually they relented and booked a hotel, but after 9hrs of rolling delays in my experience most other airlines wouldn't have been so difficult on an EXP-equivalent passenger booked in J. Of course, reimbursement via premium credit card trip interruption policy is the best/easiest way to go. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
In this case it wouldn't have mattered because of the time, but if you have an AC membership and there's an AC that's open head immediately there. They will get you booked and often give you a choice of hotels available.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
This situation is what travel insurance is for. Take care of yourself and don't rely on the airline to coddle you when things go awry.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've been in this situation on other carriers. If you're originating based on the PNR itself, they usually don't cover hotels. I had a ticket years ago ATL-SEA-DCA on DL and the ATL-SEA flight cancelled. I live in the Northern VA/DC area. I was on my own for the hotel in ATL. (I was DL Diamond at the time.)
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I’ve never done this. What’s the AMEX Plat policy?
I have the card but no experience with the coverage.

Trip Delay
Booking the trip is easy. Avoiding delays is next to impossible. If a round-trip is paid for entirely with your Eligible Card and a covered reason delays your trip more than 6 hours, Trip Delay Insurance‡ can help reimburse certain additional expenses purchased with your same Eligible Card, up to $500 per trip, maximum 2 claims per Eligible Card per 12 consecutive month period. Terms, conditions and limitations apply.5
5Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Did your itinerary originate in DCA? Or is this the return leg of a previous DFW-DCA leg on the same itinerary?
It was on one way flight. Flew DFW-LGA 2 days before on Delta.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100
In this case it wouldn't have mattered because of the time, but if you have an AC membership and there's an AC that's open head immediately there. They will get you booked and often give you a choice of hotels available.
I have an AC membership (and had actually spent most of the day in the nice new E Concourse club), but it was already closed by the time AA bailed on the flight.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFlier
It was on one way flight. Flew DFW-LGA 2 days before on Delta.
That's why then. The agent saw you as originating at DCA.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
That's why then. The agent saw you as originating at DCA.
Well, I told him directly that I was on the return of a trip and that I live in Dallas, which he could verify from my account - so the policy (or the application) is screwed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.