Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tongue in cheek rant: Someone took a seat in a row I previously had to myself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

I’m on AA 1669 MSY-DCA right now, seated in 9D, as my upgrade did not clear even though I was #1.

The passenger who was assigned 9F either no-showed or changed seats, giving me the whole row to myself, as 9E was always vacant.

Just as the door closed, the FA announced to row 10, which was full, that someone could move to row 9 if they wanted more space. And now I have some guy sitting next to me (although fortunately 9E is still empty).

Who should I complain to?

(For those who read entire posts, please know that I’m kidding. While I’d prefer the row to myself, I do know that I’m entitled to my seat and nothing else. But still I suspect that some FTers would be riled up by this!)
wrp96, jayer, madmanshoney and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well obviously it's AA's fault that your upgrade didn't clear so you were forced to even think about this issue.
96SS, moondog, nilsfr69 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
I’m on AA 1669 MSY-DCA right now, seated in 9D, as my upgrade did not clear even though I was #1.

The passenger who was assigned 9F either no-showed or changed seats, giving me the whole row to myself, as 9E was always vacant.

Just as the door closed, the FA announced to row 10, which was full, that someone could move to row 9 if they wanted more space. And now I have some guy sitting next to me (although fortunately 9E is still empty).

Who should I complain to?

I think someone who paid for Main Cabin Extra has a legitimate complaint that he or she had to share a row with you, who didn’t pay for MCE, since that devalued the MCE prestige.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
As much as I’m tempted, I won’t start a new thread for this question:

Why is it so important for them to be the first to welcome us to our destination? It’s nice that they want to welcome us, but is it a competition be the first?!?!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
This is the only thing B6 does really well. Their FAs really defend the extra legroom seats
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:18 pm

Why is it so important for them to be the first to welcome us to our destination? It’s nice that they want to welcome us, but is it a competition be the first?!?!
IIRC, the wording is "let me be the first...". They're seeking your permission, because really a local should be the first to welcome you, but alas, you'll have to settle for an FA.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
IIRC, the wording is "let me be the first...". They're seeking your permission, because really a local should be the first to welcome you, but alas, you'll have to settle for an FA.
What if the FA is local?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:27 pm

Ok, you got me. I was about to respond, then re-read your post including the last part. Safe travels!

I would never book domestic J or F if I could consistently get the middle seat empty in coach consistently.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cssmd27
..!

I would never book domestic J or F if I could consistently get the middle seat empty in coach consistently.
It was always like that just two and a half years ago! Empty flights. Empty airports. Empty roads. I miss covid. When is the next bubonic plague forecasted?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
This is the only thing B6 does really well. Their FAs really defend the extra legroom seats
I wouldn't say it is the only thing. A few things come to mind, on of which is the catering in both classes.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
I wouldn't say it is the only thing. A few things come to mind, on of which is the catering in both classes.
I would say they do almost everything better, other than get you where your going on time (granted, that's a biggie)
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:26 pm

!
You might as well, it doesn’t stop anyone else.

But I, for one, appreciate it 😉
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:11 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I think someone who paid for Main Cabin Extra has a legitimate complaint that he or she had to share a row with you, who didn’t pay for MCE, since that devalued the MCE prestige.
While technically not a separate cabin, I think this is a valid argument. I've had American protect MCE seats in the past and back in 2021 when flying JFK-ATH MCE was maybe 50-70% full while the back was probably 90-100% full and the FAs stopped people from "self upgrading." Worked out well for me as someone with a row to myself in MCE. Same experience on Air Canada Rouge a few years back.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Recently I've seen AA FA's zealously guarding against free self-upgrades. Pretty much every time when there were aisle or exit row seats available in More Room Coach. Which hasn't been that often at all. My more usual recent experience has been packed out airplanes, and just happy to get on.

Not to mention a really interesting interaction with a passenger wanting her children in better seats closer to her. I'll save that for a thread on topic.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:58 pm

An upgrade not clearing isn’t a big deal. #1 on the upgrade list and upgrade not clearing, that’s maddening. Enjoy your one and a half seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.