Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Vegas Based AA Flyers What is Your Upgrade Percentage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP , Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium

Hi Vegas locals, recently hit Plat Pro, soon to be EXP. Curious what is your upgrade percentage flying out of LAS? I have been primarily flying Alaska and I am almost 100 percent on upgrades as a 100K
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
I don't think I've ever cleared a JFK-LAS upgrade as an EXP in my years of flying it, but there was usually just one AA flight with reasonable timings for a weekend trip and everyone was on it.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A321T
I don't think I've ever cleared a JFK-LAS upgrade as an EXP in my years of flying it, but there was usually just one AA flight with reasonable timings for a weekend trip and everyone was on it.
Other than that, what has your experience been? I think all the LAS - JFK routes are now code shared with JetBlue
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Route, season, direction, day of week, time of day all matter but I know that even pre-COVID/pre-aggressive FCM, certain flights between DFW<>LAS would sell out the F cabin months in advance.

DFW<>LAS is a market that punches above its weight for paid first class demand.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
Route, season, direction, day of week, time of day all matter but I know that even pre-COVID, certain flights between DFW<>LAS would sell out the F cabin months in advance.

DFW<>LAS is a market that punches above its weight for paid first class demand.
Yes, I figured anytime going through Dallas is pretty much a no go. I try and route myself trough Phoenix for the trips I take on AA. As I have posted previously, I will fly mainly Alaska , but credit to AA as an EXP with AA I clear after the AS 75K. Best I can achieve on AS is MVP Gold, so being an AA EXP, I will get a better chance than as an AS MVP GOLD. I can hit AA EXP with credit card spend from work and side business. I only started chasing status on 8/24 and need only 34K more points for EXP. I will have it by then end of November bill cycle.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
Yes, I figured anytime going through Dallas is pretty much a no go. I try and route myself trough Phoenix for the trips I take on AA. As I have posted previously, I will fly mainly Alaska , but credit to AA as an EXP with AA I clear after the AS 75K. Best I can achieve on AS is MVP Gold, so being an AA EXP, I will get a better chance than as an AS MVP GOLD. I can hit AA EXP with credit card spend from work and side business. I only started chasing status on 8/24 and need only 34K more points for EXP. I will have it by then end of November bill cycle.
Probably should avoid LAS-LAX too. That route will have a decent amount of international/Hawaii connecting traffic occupying paid seats in the pointy end.

Like you, I'd wager on LAS-PHX being relatively elite/business travel/paid F lighter than other hubs.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Probably should avoid LAS-LAX too. That route will have a decent amount of international/Hawaii connecting traffic occupying paid seats in the pointy end.

Like you, I'd wager on LAS-PHX being relatively elite/business travel/paid F lighter than other hubs.
I also leave on Tue and come home thur, so beat the M and F crowd
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also leave on Tue and come home thur, so beat the M and F crowd
I'm making a sweeping generalization across a lot of markets here but Thursday is a generally heavier business travel day than Friday.

And going to LAS on a Thursday runs the risk of higher than average amounts of paid F leisure demand. People who want to start their gambling weekend early!
Antarius and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Other than that, what has your experience been? I think all the LAS - JFK routes are now code shared with JetBlue
Ah makes sense. I was tempted many times to buy Mint for those red eyes home.

Haven't flown much elsewhere from LAS. From NYC, my percentage is quite good, but hard to extrapolate from that to LAS.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
As a Plat Pro that flies on Saturday, Tues, and Weds primarily, I have almost 100% upgrades on LAS-LAX and LAS-PHX. I have not been upgraded on LAS-DFW in the last couple of years and I try to avoid it now if possible. One time I was the first loser on the upgrade list, but usually I'm not even close to getting it on a flight to/from DFW. I am 1 for 1 on ORD-LAS. (That was winter of 2021 when traffic was down)
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
As a low spend and high spend EXP and CK in the past, LAS has been my worst upgrade rate out of all destinations across it all.

People spend on their Vegas trips and it's frequently sold out well in advance. This includes trips on off peak times, as I had a client based there.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
As a low spend and high spend EXP and CK in the past, LAS has been my worst upgrade rate out of all destinations across it all.

People spend on their Vegas trips and it's frequently sold out well in advance. This includes trips on off peak times, as I had a client based there.
I can imagine, people cannot wait to make their donations to our state coffers , so I can see the paid F certainly being an issue. However, the last few flights I booked on AA for travel in November, paid F was crazy expensive. If they want to pay 900 for LAS to PHX, they can have it.
SF1K likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
I can imagine, people cannot wait to make their donations to our state coffers , so I can see the paid F certainly being an issue. However, the last few flights I booked on AA for travel in November, paid F was crazy expensive. If they want to pay 900 for LAS to PHX, they can have it.
Yes. Traveling in mid Nov MCO-LAS and J is around 2K r/t. Y no bargain either. Many flights are already down to J3 or so.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond

Recent flight LAX-LAS-LAX cleared both ways at the 48 hours window for Platinum with a companion. Outbound Saturday after noon and return on a Wednesday evening.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:06 pm

Always surprised AA only offers 1 flight a day from JFK-LAS and no JFK-SAN or JFK-SLC nonstop flights on AA metal. For AA being the world's largest airline and having a terminal at JFK, I would have expected AA to serve these city pairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.