Wiki Posts
Search

Aa award change cancel rules..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Aa award change cancel rules..

Newbie here.sorry for basic question but are all changes,cancellations now free for aa booked award flights?even for ones booked on aa for partner airlines?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Correct, no fee to cancel an award ticket and reinstate miles. For an award ticket change, you might have to pay a mileage difference if the new award is more expensive, but there is no change fee. Web Specials can’t be changed, only cancelled.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ..does a web special state web special on it?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
Thanks ..does a web special state web special on it?
Yes, once you select a Web Special itinerary.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, once you select a Web Special itinerary.
And you get a fairly explicit warning about the fact it can't be changed. AA does a pretty good job of being transparent about these.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

thanks all
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
And you get a fairly explicit warning about the fact it can't be changed. AA does a pretty good job of being transparent about these.
This is somewhat semantics. There is little difference between changing a standard award flight. Compared to canceling a saver award flight and booking the new one you want.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Brandt
This is somewhat semantics. There is little difference between changing a standard award flight. Compared to canceling a saver award flight and booking the new one you want.
There's a big difference if it's a round-trip ticket and you want to change one direction but there's no award inventory anymore on the half you want to keep.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:20 am
HGH

Originally Posted by jordyn
There's a big difference if it's a round-trip ticket and you want to change one direction but there's no award inventory anymore on the half you want to keep.
Which is why I book award flights individually.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by HGH
Which is why I book award flights individually.
For sure if your'e booking a Web Special this seems like a good idea! There's generally no benefit to booking award tickets round trip so you're right that it's probably a good default behavior.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:48 pm

Even though AA web special award flights have no fee to cancel, what about partner awards? I snagged a rare US-Japan biz class award for 60K miles next spring. I did not see a disclaimer that the partner award was a web special, so not sure what fee, if any, will be incurred.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Even though AA web special award flights have no fee to cancel, what about partner awards? I snagged a rare US-Japan biz class award for 60K miles next spring. I did not see a disclaimer that the partner award was a web special, so not sure what fee, if any, will be incurred.
All awards booked with AA miles can be cancelled for no fee and a full refund of miles/taxes/fees. This includes partner awards, web special awards, flight awards, and any other terminology I'm missing.
ebuck likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:31 pm

if you've flown halfway thru an award trip booked as a round trip, and wish to cancel the return after taking the outbound portion, will the miles for the return portion be refunded?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
if you've flown halfway thru an award trip booked as a round trip, and wish to cancel the return after taking the outbound portion, will the miles for the return portion be refunded?
Yes, but there might be an adjustment made if booking the roundtrip was cheaper than the sum of the two one-ways.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, but there might be an adjustment made if booking the roundtrip was cheaper than the sum of the two one-ways.
Thanks
to be honest I dont know why I didn't book it as 2 one-ways (which would make my changes easier), but the rate I booked at isn't available right now if i cancel and rebook before the whole trip starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.