Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had your bag stolen from the CLT Admirals Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

I’m just curious, because the number of people who feel compelled to drag their luggage through the already-too-crowded lines in the food service area is somewhat startling.
rt23456p and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How are the two related? At any rate to answer your question, no.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
How are the two related? At any rate to answer your question, no.
I’m just not sure what motivates people to bring their suitcase to get food, as opposed to leaving it at their seat. Maybe they’re loading up for their journey.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Blumie
I’m just not sure what motivates people to bring their suitcase to get food, as opposed to leaving it at their seat. Maybe they’re loading up for their journey.
Well you have a point there. I see this too and it only clutters the already squeezed space. My defacto move is when I enter the club I immediately go to a seat, hook up my laptop (already turned on minutes before going through tsa pre) then bagless, walk to get my cup o' sludge.
PresRDC, MSPeconomist and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Well you have a point there. I see this too and it only clutters the already squeezed space. My defacto move is when I enter the club I immediately go to a seat, hook up my laptop (already turned on minutes before going through tsa pre) then bagless, walk to get my cup o' sludge.
Exactly.

My other complaints from my AC visit, probably not worthy of starting a new thread (let me know if you disagree; I’m happy to start new threads):

— I love that they have Cap’n Crunch. It’s the best food that they offer in the club. But the small soup bowls that they provide, although perfect for soup, don’t allow for the proper distribution of cereal and milk.

— Why is the box of tissues in the men’s room marked “GLOVES”?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:48 am
HGH

I can see bringing your laptop bag with you everywhere, just to be on the safe side. It is company policy for me. Even if the odds are almost 0, I still take mine with me . If it were lost/stolen/misplaced on my watch, especially as that means I ignored protocol, I'd be fired pretty quick. In fact, I refuse to carry it whenever possible because of that hassle.

As far as a suitcase - no idea there. It always has the potential to be checked at the gate anyway, so prudence would say never pack valuables in there.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:53 am

Another factor. If there are no seats and so you leave it in a corner, it may be suspected as an explosive.
Etheereal likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I haven't noticed this happening much, but I haven't been to the CLT AC in a couple years, either. Do you just see it there, or in general in airport settings?

Maybe people are worried about getting their stuff stolen, (I'm not, personally) or maybe they've been so brainwashed by "If you see something, say something", they've been conditioned not to leave any of their belongings left unattended.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:29 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I had a 4 hour layover in MIA some years back and left my bags in one of the cubbies while I went into town for some food and beverage. All was still in tact when I returned.
VaBeachGirl, becks1 and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I haven't noticed this happening much, but I haven't been to the CLT AC in a couple years, either. Do you just see it there, or in general in airport settings?
It seems to be a particular issue at CLT due to the crowds in the AC and the narrow food areas.

Originally Posted by PHL
I had a 4 hour layover in MIA some years back and left my bags in one of the cubbies while I went into town for some food and beverage. All was still in tact when I returned.
I’ve done that at LAX, BOS, and JFK while going for runs during layovers. (I’ve done it at LHR as well, but always from the BA lounge, where you can check your carry-ons. Otherwise I’d just leave them at my seat.)
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Maybe people are worried about getting their stuff stolen, (I'm not, personally) or maybe they've been so brainwashed by "If you see something, say something", they've been conditioned not to leave any of their belongings left unattended.
Luckily this does NOT seem to be the case in almost all Admiral's Clubs (CLT included). It is much more likely for people to drop off their stuff at a seat and then go get food, go to the potty, etc. This is normal whether or not the AC is crowded. I have not witnessed carry-on bags in the food lines very often, but it does happen some times.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
My rule of thumb is that if I can get a seat within my line of sight of where I'm going, I leave my stuff, if there's no line of sight it needs to come with me. CLT or any other airport lounge.
ksucats, miles4CDG, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:39 am

I’ve done that [left bag in lounge] at LAX, BOS, and JFK while going for runs during layovers. (I’ve done it at LHR as well, but always from the BA lounge, where you can check your carry-ons. Otherwise I’d just leave them at my seat.)
At LHR I assume you mean the arrivals lounge?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
At LHR I assume you mean the arrivals lounge?
No. On several occasions I’ve transited LHR with plenty of time for a run and a shower. I go to the lounge, change into running clothes, leave my luggage, and then exit through immigration.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:52 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Remember how -- for decades -- the airlines would ask if your bags had been out of your control any time after packing them? Yeah, it's engrained in people that they can't let their bags leave their sight.

(Once I was checking in for a flight in Puerto Rico after disembarking from a cruise, and I answered that question honestly. Based on their response, I was the first person who had ever done so, despite the fact that every major cruise line requires you to put your luggage outside your door the night before returning to port, and you're reunited with it once you get off the ship. Tens of thousands of people do this ever week, then fly home, and I was apparently the first one who admitted to it to the airline employees. They were completely flummoxed, and didn't know how to respond.)

Last edited by chgoeditor; Oct 5, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.