Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

On AA 1982 BOS to MiA. Woman in front of me can't understand why they are going to serve dinner. She says it could kill her because of her nut allergy. She is never flying AA again because she says all other airlines honor her request.
SK, SFO777, athome and 13 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Me me me me me me.

I'm sympathetic to allergies and ​​​​​understand accomodations, but this is absurd. What next, she wants everyone's bags searched in case they happened to have snacks?
dw, Spiff, SK and 34 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

I so much wanted to suggest that she switch seats with someone in coach if she wanted to get away from food, but managed to keep my mouth shut.
dw, Spiff, SK and 44 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dickinson
On AA 1982 BOS to MiA. Woman in front of me can't understand why they are going to serve dinner. She says it could kill her because of her nut allergy. She is never flying AA again because she says all other airlines honor her request.
So lovely of her to graciously bring dinner onboard for all other passengers! I assume that’s what she did, right?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:11 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Antarius
Me me me me me me.

I'm sympathetic to allergies and ​​​​​understand accomodations, but this is absurd. What next, she wants everyone's bags searched in case they happened to have snacks?
Thank you my Love for articulating exactly what I am thinking. I am fed up to the back teeth with these people who sort of enforce on you their problem. I wish them no harm but they are in a minority and need to take that into their thinking. If your allergy is that acute, Madam, should you be travelling at all? Why should the majority of us be held hostave to thei nut allergy - what next? All that said, maybe the airlines should try and avoid nut snacks in place of something else? Just a thoguht.
BearX220, Spiff, SK and 17 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would have asked her do you mind then if I have your ramekin of nuts as well since you wont' be needing them.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I wish them no harm
Oh yeah? Read my post.
bchandler02 and boss315 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:19 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Oh yeah? Read my post.
Sugar - I didn't see your post as I was posting at much the same time as you. It would seem that this woman - not content with hot nuts - wanted no one to be served dinner. Frankly AA's Domestic Meals are such a gastronomic highlight that probably everyone would have been better off not eating it. That, however, is not for her to dictate, We may only hope and pray that her bluff is real and that she never flies AA again. Are things no bad enough without her? ( I nearly used bad words!)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I understood her to be referring to dinner - maybe it was the nut course only but it didn't sound that way. The FA brought a tablet and showed her AA;s policy but that did not satisfy her. My wife said she saw her lodge a complaint on the app while the plane was taxiing.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Frankly that's nuts.

seawolf, SF1K, dw and 56 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
When I was a grad school, I had a part-time internship at a consulting firm. I went in a couple of days a week to find various numbers in annual reports and 10-Ks and plug them into spreadsheets, do PowerPoints, stuff like that.

One day I bought some peanut M&Ms and brought them back to the office, and I asked others there if they wanted any. One guy said he couldn't because he had a very serious peanut allergy. I apologized and asked him if I should put them away, and he just said, nah, it's fine.

These people who claim they're going to die if they so much as look at a peanut on an airplane - I have a really hard time believing that, I'm sorry.

EDIT: Forgot to ask - did the woman die, blow up like a balloon, go into anaphylactic shock, or suffer any other serious complication in flight? I'm guessing I know the answer, but still.
SK, the phoenix, jpezaris and 20 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

EDIT: Forgot to ask - did the woman die, blow up like a balloon, go into anaphylactic shock, or suffer any other serious complication in flight? I'm guessing I know the answer, but still.
Well, it hasn't happened yet but we are only halfway to Miami, so who knows?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
When I was a grad school, I had a part-time internship at a consulting firm. I went in a couple of days a week to find various numbers in annual reports and 10-Ks and plug them into spreadsheets, do PowerPoints, stuff like that.

One day I bought some peanut M&Ms and brought them back to the office, and I asked others there if they wanted any. One guy said he couldn't because he had a very serious peanut allergy. I apologized and asked him if I should put them away, and he just said, nah, it's fine.

These people who claim they're going to die if they so much as look at a peanut on an airplane - I have a really hard time believing that, I'm sorry.

Repeated studies have shown that the myth of airborne peanut dust is exactly that. Even in severe cases, they're likelier to touch something that was left behind on the seat and then a mucus membrane.

Some random person in F eating something that may have been in facility that comes in contact with peanuts will not do anything to this person.
​​​​​
​​​​​All I can say to these people is - Trust the science, skip the hype.

If someone next to me had a peanut allergy and asked me to not eat peanuts, I'd gladly oblige. It's in close enough proximity that if it makes them feel better (and if I drop one) I have no problem not eating it. But someone 5 rows back, yea not so much.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I did a quick search online and for what it's worth, it seems AA is actually the least accommodating airline when it comes to peanut allergies. It's basically, "we don't do anything, and we won't do anything" to accommodate your allergy.

She chose poorly.
dw, JetAway, the phoenix and 19 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Considering the way air circulates on planes, they should have offered her to sit in the very back row instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.